Save My Tennessee Home

Discussion in Mortgage & House Payments started by LilAnn • Jun 30, 2015.

1. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    This particular program is currently offered in Tennessee, but There are a couple more states that offer this program, as well. It shouldn't be that tough to find out.

Its an affordable housing program. Basically, if you are buying your home, but run up on bad times, this program is who can help. Depending on your income and circumstances, if they determine you qualify for help they will take over your mortgage payments for you for a limited time. My mother in law is using this program. After her husband passed, she fell into some tough times. She didn't have any income herself, and their savings wasn't going to stretch very far. She had to drive to Nashville, and I believe they have an office in Memphis as well. She qualified for help so they took over her house payment for 1 year, or $20,000. She agreed that if she sold her house within the next 5 years she would give them a percentage of the money.

After her year was up they contacted her and told her that if she could come in they might be able to extend their assistance to cover her even longer. One more trip to Nashville and they extended it for 5 more years. She has since began to get back on her feet and hasn't lost her house because of this program. They are the only reason she still has a home.

They told her to tell everyone she knows. They have a lot of funding and need more people to help. So if you are in tennessee or know someone who is, please spread the word. It would be a shame if someone lost their home when it could be saved.

2. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    I have a relative who has been trying to get help from them, but she keeps getting a message telling her that they are no longer in service. Do you have a link to their website? Thanks for posting. Hopefully if people can get a working link, this can be a huge lifesaver!

3. Brenda Barnousky

Threads:
    I found the website. The link is

. This is the message they have up:

Thank you for visiting the Keep My Tennessee Home website.

The Keep My Tennessee Home program is now closed and is no longer taking new applications for any hardship.

If you are facing foreclosure we encourage you to review the tips for Avoiding Foreclosure and to contact one of our free and confidential foreclosure prevention counselors.

Too bad, but maybe they are available in other states.

4. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    oh no!!Thats horrible! It was such a good program, too. I wonder if this is going to affect my mother in law's set up with them. They said a handful of states got the money, the poorest states. Only a few set up programs like this, and Tennessee wasn't the only one. I have no idea what other states did, though. it really is a shame. They are credited with saving homes, but I can assure you that they people they helped consider what they did to be saving lives, not just homes.

5. Brenda Barnousky

Threads:
    It IS a shame! I was disappointed for my relative as well. Surely since your Mother-In-Law is grandfathered in, her status will stay the same. At least I hope so. Some people always seem to be a day late and a dollar short on things like this. I wish they would bring it back. It would be horrible to lose your home and have to start all over!

6. LilAnn

LilAnnActive Member

Threads:
    Now I wonder if thats why they extended their help from 1 year to 5 years. They didn't want to keep opening new case, but they had to use the money up. The letter came days before our next mortgage payment was due. It was to be the first one we had paid wen our year was up.She never asked them to extend theri help 5 more years. It just came out of the blue.

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A reverse mortgage would be able to help someone in that situation as well. There are many pros and cons to that program, but I think if the situation is dire it certainly is better than the alternative. The problem with that program is that they have tightened up on the requirements now, so basically you have to have good credit to qualify.