Saving on auto maintenance

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by caparica007 • Oct 8, 2013.

1. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I have an Opel car and I have learned to ask in as auto shops as I can for prices because they can be really different. Once I broke my rearview mirror and I had budgets with over $100 difference for the same part...! What's your experience on this?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well Cap, at least you learned one thing:

To get the best deal you have to go around a little, find out prices, compare them and zero in on the best of them. However, fact is different sellers price their products differently depending on the clientele they serve. . .so you have to be careful whom you're buying from.

3. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Well, in my opinion, it's better to stick with one reliable auto repair shop. One that you really trust. I don't mind paying a little more if I can ensure that my car is with good guys.

I had an experience with one phony auto shop before. The carburetor of my Toyota Corolla 1991 broke and I had to bring it to the nearest auto shop only to find out that later, there is this little ball (like a marble) inside one of the tubes which is suppose to cause more damage to my car if I hadn't bring it to my trusted auto shop.

But for minor issues such as side mirrors, I scour my town to find the cheapest deal. Haha :)

4. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    Exactly, a simple mirror and such a big difference it is nonsense! But for major stuff I go to Opel, I had a bad experience in a tire shop they gave me poor advise regarding my Ford Fiesta and I was in a huge expense because of it.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Certain auto mechanics prey on the ignorant. Therefore, do some research online. First of all, try to see if the problem is something you can fix yourself. However, even if you cannot fix it yourself, you might be able to find out enough about it to avoid being ripped off.

Finally, research auto mechanics themselves. For instance, if in the US, research their background and reputation with the Better Business Bureau. However, don't stop there. There are other websites, one being Angie's List. Also, try to check out some discussion forums regarding autos and auto mechanics.

6. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    It is the same story at my end. Unless you ask around you find yourself spending quite a lot more on such maintanence costs.

It is best to do your homework and then decide.