Scrap Metal - The End Of Your Vehicle

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Oct 29, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The title seems a bit comical but let's discuss it. Once your vehicle simply cannot be repaired or maybe you simply don't want to for subjective or economic reasons, you might want to take it to a junkyard where possibly you can get quite a bit of cash. Anyway, do you feel it's cheaper to keep your old car, truck etc. going?

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We had an accident that made our car a station wagon totaled miraculously both driver and passenger had very minor bruises. The car though was no longer derivable. My Uncle, helped my Mom with it, and brought it to the junk yard for her. They got $500 for it! To me, after watching American Pickers, where they love old cars and pay cash for it, but not all cars are worth something, so a bit of research will yield what to do with your particular car. If you're a mr. fixit, why not keep your car, but fuel maybe expensive for older cars. You have to decide what you want to do if your car is a classic it's worth money to the right buyer. Soon it will be time for the end of year car sales with sometimes zero % apr, so it's up to you what you decide to do with your old car though. You just got to sit down and see which is more feasible a new car or keeping your old car or selling it.

3. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    I would rather sell my old car, add some cash and acquire a new one. If I notice that it is only the body that is wrecked while the engine is still energetic, I would change the body. I would otherwise give to my friend or a family member if I don't need it at all.

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The old cars in our neighborhood are very noticeable because tgey are parked by the roadside. Old means good for junk since those cars are dilapidated and not in running condition anymore. My advice is for them to sell their cars before rust would eat everything. At least they can still get a good amount now.

5. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    It is not cheap to have an old car because all the time it needs repairs, so, when my car become so old and it cannot be repaired or the reparation cost a lot I prefer to take my car to "Wreck" program, this is a junkyard were you take your car and they give you an 1800 dollars voucher that can be used only to pay an advance to a new car.

6. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would sell my old car to the junk yard to have some cash and buy me a used one that is in good condition, I remember my dad doing that once and we ended up loving it. We had a small car before and my dad found a nice van at a great price so now we had a spacious car and could take more family with us on our outings.

7. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    The demand for scrap metal keeps owners of it on the lookout for thieves. Nonetheless, a car is tough to steal or tear apart - especially if it isn't yours.

It seems like rust wouldn't matter. I mean, I'm assuming it's going to be melted down anyhow.

8. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our old station wagon is almost 20 years old, and it has well over 200,000 miles on it . It just chugs along; but so far, we have not had to do any major repairs to it. If it did need something expensive done to it, the value of the car is less than what it would cost to repair it, so it would not make sense to even try and fix it.
    At that point, selling it to a junk yard or to someone who scraps out cars, would probably be the best decision , because the car is too old to be worth anything, but not old enough to be called a classic.
    Possibly, someone who does their own mechanic could come out okay with a car like ours, if they could fix it themself, and if the parts needed were not too expensive.
    Since we can’t afford to buy another vehicle, I am hoping that this one will still keep running for a while longer yet.