Selling A Vehicle When It Only Needs Fixing

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Jason76 • Jan 31, 2017.

1. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Sometimes people who think they know a lot of cars, but really know little, might see your vehicle is running horribly and recommend selling it. However, often they are wrong. For instance, my 97 Ford truck was having some transmission problems but I took it to an oil changing business and now it seems to run like brand new. Anyhow, I cannot quit telling people how important it is to get oil changes and other maintenance on older vehicles.

2. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    If you go to any place for a car check-up, they'll mostly tell you some bogus things so that you will pay more for a fix. I recommend to anyone who is having car troubles to ask a family member or friend that knows about cars to check it out instead. Then, you can go to a mechanic and tell them exactly what's wrong with it. He'll see that you know what you're talking about and charge you accordingly.

3. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on the kind of problem you experiencing on your car and the how frequent. Some mechanical faults with cars are more than servicing or oil change sometimes it's hard for the auto mechanic to detect where the fault is coming from. Instead of spending hugely fixing the car always I'd go with the option of selling if there is a willing buyer

4. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our first car is a 1977 Gemini (I forgot the maker). It is already dilapidated when we bought it so we had expected it to have so many problems. After a thorough rundown by my mechanic friend, it was spic and span except for the leaking roof (we get wet when it rains). And since we had no more budget for that roof and also the air conditioner which was not working, we decided to sell it instead of having it fixed. That way, we saved a little money because the needed repairs would cost us more and that would raise the total value of the car which cannot be sold at that price. Well, if it's not viable to be repaired then it is better to sell your car instead of spending more.

5. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As a matter of policy I sell my car every 3-4 years and go for the latest model before my old car begins giving me trouble. I have two rules in place for me, never keep a punctured tube (I do not have a tubeless tire in my car) and never keep a car older than 3 years problem or no problem. I think I get a reasonable price for my old car and that saves from lots of troubles as well.

6. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't willing to sell my last car at first but the fault it kept developing made me to finalize on selling it out. Though I got the Toyota Corolla fairly used, after just one year my mechanic told me I have to change the engine that it's gone weak. Really I could feel that the car wasn't going smoothly as expected. Finally I sold it out at a quite low rate.