Shipping Insurance

Discussion in Shipping Services started by DrRipley • Oct 7, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I just noticed one of the sellers I found online saying something about shipping insurance I could get if I wanted one of the products, and the price for it would be about 1% of the cost of the product. I'm intrigued by this because I knew nothing about this before, and it would like to find out what our members' thoughts are about this.

Do any of you buy insurance when having something shipped from online purchases? Which items or at what price do you start considering getting insurance? Are there things to look out for? When do you think it is unnecessary?

2. Athena02

Athena02Member

Threads:
    I never buy anything costing more than $150 online, so I never really felt the need to get an insurance. I just make sure that I am protected by the website I use if the package the seller sent got lost or damaged. The sellers are responsible for the package's safety, especially if you are paying for the shipping services.

3. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been presented with the offer of including a shipping insurance in my purchases. Some purchases don't include them for a reason, and one of them is probably because the item is already insured or covered by the shipping company. For online purchases that are around $100 or less, we might not need to declare or get a shipping insurance, but the coverage is necessary when buying in bulk or when importing goods from overseas, and we should probably consider getting a shipping insurance for products with high value.

#3Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  4. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Shipping insurance has been around for years now, but there's a very real reason that you don't need it for yourself when you're the BUYER. Such insurance protects the seller if the item is damaged in transit or lost in transit because most sites dictate that buyers are not liable for such events. Therefore, this simply protects the seller rather than yourself. You're already covered by guarantees from sites like Amazon, eBay, and others.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I only get the insurance if I'm spending quite a bit of money in the order. It is definite worth it for larger purchases because things do sometimes go wrong. For smaller purchases I usually don't get it though.

6. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    Well usually when you purchase items online the seller shipping it should be the one to purchase the insurance because it protects the seller incase the item is damaged or lost before getting to the seller. Typically it isn't the buyer whose buying the insurance because it's not the buyer whose shipping it anyways, it's the seller who is. You typically buy the insurance when you ship the item so usually the seller takes care of it. When I sell on eBay, I normally only purchase the insurance if the item is worth $100 or more. When it gets expensive, the risks your taking are higher so I always get insurance in those cases.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also have been offered to pay for insurance too when I was inquiring with this local seller, but since you always get the item the next day if they have it shipped from Mon. to Thurs. then I don't think that it's worth it. Most items are securely packaged anyway, so damage while in transit is unlikely.