Shoe Repair Shops

Discussion in Misc & Others started by Ke Gordon • May 9, 2016.

1. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a dying art, but have you ever gone to a shoe repair shop? These used to be commonplace, and people rather than throwing shoes away would simply get new Heels put on them, or get them repaired in some one. I saw one the other day..I had forgotten it was there honestly. It was refreshing to see it, in this throw away society. My guess it is owned by an old guy. I have a pair of hiking boots that needs repair. However, I was thinking I could just super glue the soles. I should look around for something to take to the shoe repair shop.

2. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    My husband REGULARLY uses a local shoe repair shop. He wears a suit to work 3 out of 5 days a week, and wears very expensive shoes. It is far cheaper to have them re-soled than to buy new shoes. He loves his shoe guy, and like you say, "dying art" indeed. This old man is phenomenal.

He's also taken a couple of MY shoes in for very basic and easy repairs. Twice the guy took care of us for free... one to simply glue a wedge heel back on a sandal, one to fix a nicked tip of a stilletto. I think the relationship they have now makes my husband look forward to visiting.

3. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Fortunately its a far from dying art where I am - as not only are shoe repair shops fairly common place here - but as they're generally manned by skilled and dedicated craftsman who do a wonderful job of repairing, restoring or revamping virtually anything from shoes, bags, belts to suitcases, leather coats and more - they are so popular that their businesses are thriving.

In fact they've saved me a small fortune over the years - especially as the small amount they charge for repairs is next to nothing in comparison - to the very unnecessary expense of having to replace reasonably costly items way more often than they actually need to be.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Where I live there is still a reasonable demand for shoe repairers.The repairers may not be as prevalent as in the past. However, there is still a steady demand for this type of service. There are many persons who after assessing the situation after a shoe is damaged may find that is cost effective to repair the shoe as to acquiring a new one.

5. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I have taken shoes to stores like these before amd it is just wonderful! When you own a pair you really love, it is hard to get them replaced so it's a wonderful feeling knowing you can still use them. They are also really cheap, or at least most of the times. Always better than buying a new pair.

6. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    I also live in a place where this trade is far from dying. Very neat way to save lots of money from buying expensive gimmicky urban shoes over and over, and also to give some proper maintenance to rough mountain boots.

Most times an used shoe will only need to get its sole glued again, some polishing or a new sew up. And for that a shoe maker is a master and will
    restore it as almost as new.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here they're still very much alive! The sorts of things they can do are beyond amazing. Some can actually reduce your shoe size, reduce the height of your heel or do the reverse by putting a bit of height in your heels!! I've never had anything as crazy as that done, but a colleague showed me examples of this type of work that was done on her shoes, and I just couldn't believe it. But I do use them for all sorts of other problems.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over here, shoe repair shops are quite popular, and there is a particular franchise that has lots of branches all over the country that repairs shoes. I haven't been to that store yet, but before there was a shoe repair man that goes to our house and we have our shoes shined and repaired by him.

9. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's embarrassing to admit that I had never gone to the shoe repair shop for that purpose because I have so many shoes in the 2 racks reserved for me. That means my shoes are not used much so repair is almost not needed. But one time I went to the Mr. Quickie, the most popular shoes and bags repair shop in the Philippines. The zipper of my bag wouldn't close. The attendant checked the zipper and used a pliers-like gadget to fix it. Whoa, the zipper was back to its normal function.