Sick Of Glitter

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by liquidfuzzy • Jul 7, 2015.

1. liquidfuzzy

liquidfuzzyMember

Threads:
    It bothers me a little that when I go clothes shopping for my nieces, all I can seem to find is glitter, bows, baby animals wearing hipster glasses, and so on. Boys get really cool subject matter on their clothes. I see cool graphics on their clothes with subject matter ranging from outer space to wild animals! Girls get sweet, simple, brain-pudding stuff while boys get clothes that support science and wildlife, for example. I think girls need to he empowered through clothing just like the boys are. Let's see a cool dinosaur skeleton on a girls dress! Let's see rockets and cool monsters on girl clothes. And for the love of Pete, can we stop assigning gender to colors?!

What are your thoughts?

2. Penny

PennyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, one thing to do is shop from across the aisle. I got my niece a short that was red with a dinosaur on it. Babies R Us may say that is "boys only" but I say Dinos are for girls too!

Many of the "boys" designs are brighter, more fun, and not actually noticeably gender-specific in any recognizable way. What makes a badger for boys only, or a kite? It's stupendously ridiculous.

3. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    AMEN! I love Justice for that reason. Some of their stuff is brain mush cutesy crap but about half of what I saw in their store last time I went in was great! Very encouraging quotes on shirts, a lot of confidence and girl-power messages. But yeah, in most department stores, all you're gonna find for girls are the latest Disney princess plastered like advertisments on the outfits and cutesy gag worthy stuff.

4. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I totally agree! I use a lot of my boy's clothes that he has outgrown for my little girl. Who says she can't wear green, yellow, or blue? Especially when it's obvious she is a girl. But as much as I've raised her to not be a "girly-girl", she still loves pink and princess stuff! Go figure! It sure wasn't by my doing.

5. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Girls/women are just naturally prone to liking glitter/sparkle. I'm not an overly girly girl but when it comes to something shiny oh boy. Why do you think they have all those TV shows, movies or commercials where the lady gets mesmerized by wedding rings. Everyone is different but I think A LOT of ladies are into that kind of thing.
    I do agree with you though otherwise. There needs to be diversity. Many times I find the guys clothes to be more interesting than the girls because the ladies section has so many flowery patterns and as you say gag worthy stuff of that nature. I personally like middle ground so many of my shirts have some kind of writing on them (like I have one that says Peace Love NYC). I don't understand why there isn't balance anymore. Keep the overly cutesy stuff for those who actually like it but add more of the other kinds of styles.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You are so right. I like that expression "brain pudding". I am also incredibly tired of all that silly, girly stuff out there. I haven't come across a good company yet that actually offers non-gender orientated products. It's always so clearly divided between pink and blue. Perhaps it's time to start one's own business and line of products.

7. SarahWorksAtHome

Threads:
    My girls kind of emulate my style which is very casual and in between tom boy and girly girl.
    My favorite outfit? Comfy jeans, a men's tee with something like a band name or a Star Wars character on it, my boots or flip flops and cute earrings. I add my own sparkle in my jewelry or nail polish. They have started to follow that trend by preferring simple shorts or jeans and funny or snarky tees but accessorizing with sparkly bracelets or purses. They choose shirts that reflect their interests and personalities, not just what's "cool".

8. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    There were some really cool kickstarters for more kick-ass girl clothes, as well as more genre neutral (and still awesome and good looking) children clothes! The campaigns did great; there is for sure a need and a market for it!

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I hope this really happens! Girls clothes have a lot of options but mostly they are too girly with ribbons and glitters and pink all over it. I love the witty captions in boys' clothings like "Keep calm and give me to mom". Lol. I find most boys clothings have these clever puns and such!

10. SarahWorksAtHome

Threads:
    An idea could be to buy the boys shirts then tailor them just a tad to make them more fitting to a girl. My daughter has a boys' shirt that we cut fringes on the bottom and sleeves and knotted them and it looks so awesome!