Slap Chop

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by benn08 • Aug 29, 2012.

1. benn08

benn08Member

Threads:
    Does it actually work, it seems so impressive when they show it on the telly, I've never seen one in real life, and was just wondering from the people that purchased one does it actually work?

2. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    The short answer is: hahaha, no.

The long answer is: I've tried it with onions, peppers and garlic. It's a fail with onions and peppers. The skin or the harder veggies like onions get stuck in the blades. This makes chopping a pain in the butt.

With garlic, it works just fine. Quick. Not messy. But since the Slap Chop is such a pain to clean, I only use it when I nerd like 20 cloves of garlic!

3. sergiu23

sergiu23Active Member

Threads:
    I have a very simillar product, and as FlanneryCam said, it pretty much sucks. You can only slice little onions and garlic. It works with pieces of carrots too, but that's all you can do with it. Other vegetables will just get smashed with it, and your food will look like if a truck smashed it on the road. And in my sincere opinion the effort you will put in cleaning it won't make it worthy, rather slice them with a knife; you get the same results without mess and swearing :)

4. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    It kind of works. It chops things alright but it doesn't bounce back and let you slap it. It is more like the pull and chop then have to pull it back up to get the spring to loosen up so you can chop again.

5. catevanne

catevanneMember

Threads:
    My slapchop works some of the time-not good with onions, but is ok with green peppers and garlic. I have an old chopper that I bought at the grocery store and it seems to work just as well, or better than slapchop-I do love the name slapchop, though.

6. pilot2fly

pilot2flyMember

Threads:
    Looks like the Slap Chop is a bust. Seems to be deceptive advertising, don't you think? I'll pass on this product.

7. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    But the advertising is so funny. I really really really find the silly commercial to be silly enough that I bought the SlapChop, simply so that I could enjoy the commercial more deeply. :)

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Nothing a good old sharp knife and a cutting board can't do better! Seriously though, we used to have something like this when I was growing up, but it had a container in the bottom to hold everything you were cutting. The only thing we really ever used it for was to make chopped walnuts for baking, which it did quite well. Trying to do that with a knife you'll often wind up with pieces of nuts flying everywhere.

9. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, the slap chop doesn't work as they claim it would on the commercial. I can't really complain about it though because I got it as a free gift when I bought something else. So, it wasn't like I actually wasted money on this item. One thing you could say about the slap chop though and its colorful commercial its one of those items that was good for a few laughs. Maybe not much else.

10. gabstaff

gabstaffMember

Threads:
    AWWW I was hoping that the slapchop actually worked. I was impressed with the commerical. I know we as Americans are just plan lazy and anything to speed up the process of cooking so we can get back to the computer or watching TV. :)

11. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    My kids like pasta with olive oil, garlic and shrimp. We eat this around once a week and it uses an awful lot of garlic so for this reason alone my slap and chop is worth it since it can mince garlic fast. We also saute a lot of vegetables so mincing onions and garlic is a must. As for it not springing to its original position you just aren't slapping it properly.

12. riku517

riku517New Member

Threads:
    I've heard from friends that it rarely works on vegetables that are wet or crunchy and just turns everything into a big mess. It turns a little onion into a pile of terribly cut pieces with juices running everywhere. Let's just say that chopping vegetables by hand is the way to go.

13. deerng27

deerng27New Member

Threads:
    The slap chop only works on small foods. It can not chop larger vegetables. The blade is not even that sharp, so It does not have the ability to chop as advertised. I was very disappointed with this product, the concept was great but the execution failed. You would think something as simple as the slap chop would be able to do was advertised, but it couldn't.

14. schomeearnings

schomeearningsBanned

Threads:
    I am seeing this informercial and I was thinking that this would be an amazing product, but it is shocking that it half way work or do not work as much as or as well as advertised. I guess I should have known that it wouldn't work due to the fact that most things do not work on TV.

15. ReishiSpore

ReishiSporeMember

Threads:
    My mam owns one and I have used it myself also. Of course the advert/commercial totally over hypes it's capability of what it should do. In reality, I found that it only works well with small amounts of vegetables. The blade isn't that sharp either so the quality of the cutting could be a lot better, and more efficient.

16. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    Something like this would be a great idea for people with arthritis or other difficulties holding a knife, but who still want to cook as independently as possible. Too bad it doesn't sound like it works too well.

17. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    You would think that a device so simple would just work. Why can't they focus on making something that just works so they can sell more units? In this day and age, word gets out pretty quickly about the quality of a product so I don't see what the upside is for making an inferior product, especially when the idea is so good. For the blade to note be sharp enough is just...dumb. I don't get it. Heh, I won't be getting it, either.

18. crazycroc

crazycrocMember

Threads:
    I have one and it works well like in the commercials however I find that it is a pain in the ass to clean.

19. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love the stupid Slap Chop commercial with the autotune. I have a fake Slap Chop that I got for cheap at Goodwill. I thought that maybe the reason it doesn't work that well was that it was an imitation.
    But it sounds like the actual branded Slap Chop doesn't work that well either so I guess I'll just invest in a good knife.