Smartphone vs. Dumbphone?

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by Mafdet • Mar 3, 2014.

1. ReDGuNNeR

ReDGuNNeRMember

Threads:
    The only use for a dumbphone in my opinion is for the ruggedness and convenience/size factor. Even though there are smaller "smartphones" these days it may be more convenient to use a durable regular phone. When I used to work with telephones there was still a very large amount of these types of phones being sold. They may be limited but if you aren't looking to use any applications and just need a basic feature set these phones will work marvelously. Some users don't want to deal with an "advanced" operating system even though they are made to be one-click these days.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'd suggest getting a smart phone. Even the lower end ones are worth it. It's good to have in an emergency if you need to look something up, or find directions to a certain place. You can't do that on an old school cell phone. It's easy to get a smart phone for about 50 bucks these days. Just head down to Best Buy or Wal-Mart.

3. Bright7

Bright7Active Member

Threads:
    I think it really depends on your needs. My mom has a regular cell phone. She's never been interested in a smartphone. The only reason she even has a cell phone is for emergencies. She has zero interest in being able to get on social media, or on any of the apps available for smartphones these days. Even if she were to get an inexpensive smartphone, all of the features on it would be totally wasted on her.

4. GenevB

GenevBActive Member

Threads:
    Well, even if I liked old phone I believe we should keep on with the times, we can't live in the past just because we want to be different from others. I also use a smartphone, it makes some of daily activities easier to do, this way we have some more time but as we lost other time playing on it, I believe that after all we have less time because of them..

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Non-camera "dumbphones" are required in high-security areas, most notably the military, where any information has to kept confidential. Other than that I don't really see much practical use for sticking with a dumb phone, unless you are constantly travelling in rugged, unforgiving terrain with little access to electricity, in which case a more durable phone with a longer battery life would be more desirable.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If a person doesn't have much money, and could do without all of the up-to-date gadgets that smartphones have, then I can imagine these types of people sticking with dumb phones lol I actually think that the proper terms for old phones is feature phones, not dumb phones lol. Some people just want phones that can make calls and receive them, as well as send text messages and receive them. I think that there are plenty of reasons why a person would pick a feature phone over a smart phone.

7. kwriter93

kwriter93Member

Threads:
    I personally prefer smartphones over "dumbphones". I can use it for so many more things than calling, and with the costs of my service, you might as well get the smartphone and use it for what it's worth. I can check email, take pictures, go online when I don't have a computer near, earn money through apps like eBay, watch TV, play games, track my bank account and so much more. There's no limit to what you can do with a smartphone really (unless, you expect it to do something crazy like make you fly) and I would use it over a "dumb phone" any day. The only reason I would have a dumb phone, is if I were going to a job that forced the employees to work in rugged conditions.

8. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    I really miss my old "dumbphone" sometimes. My iPhone creeps me out a little. It knows too much about me, and I think it is giving information about my habits to Facebook, because my sponsored posts have become more obviously targeted since I started using Facebook messenger. But, I use apps to make money, and I need that in my life.

9. DreekLass

Threads:
    LOL. I love this answer. There was an article about all of the things that Facebook messenger can do to your phone and that was when people began to delete it, never mind the fact that i had been telling my FB friends about this long before the article dropped. But I guess they just ignored that post, thinking that I was some sort of paranoid freak. Facebook messenger can make phone calls from your phone without your consent, delete date, take your photos - probably for this new facial recognition system that they are implementing - and so much more. Smartphones are a little too smart, huh? Lol.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't mind going back to an old school cell phone at some point. They are much less of a distraction. Don't get me wrong I love all the new technology on the new smartphones, I just find that they are distracting on society as a whole. If nothing else, I wish people would put them away at the dinner table. I'm also annoyed by all the selfies people take. That's one fad that I wish would die out. Quickly.

11. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Selfies drive me crazy, too. Unless you are somewhere AMAZING, please stop. I am friends with someone who posts a new picture of herself in her car every week. What purpose does this serve? You can take all of the selfies you want, but there's no law saying you have to post them.

I also miss my dumbphone bill.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I saw a picture - I think that it was a meme - in the past, and I forget what it said exactly, but what is was basically trying to depict, and in a very clever way might I add, was that back in the day when cell/mobile phones did not exist people would talk to one another as they waited at bus stops. But with these cell phones, people just stand there in silence messing with their phones, heads bowed, not interacting with their fellow human being.

I definitely think that technology is amazing, But I also believe that it is a tool that is being used to divide us from our fellow human beings. We are already fearful and anxious. People love having an excuse not to interact - their cell phones.

13. crazyman1090

crazyman1090Member

Threads:
    Nah, I don't like my old flip phone. Ever since I switched to a smartphone, I find that it can fit so much more in a lot less space. It also keeps me more organized--I can keep a schedule with me, make grocery lists, and I can do countless more menial tasks on my phone while multi-tasking instead of having to walk over to the desktop and looking something up. Overall, I just find them a lot more convenient and versatile than just a phone that can only do one task: calling.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    One of the things that I miss about the Samsung Flip phone that I used to own, years ago, was the spy element that it added to life??? Lol. Let me explain. I used to love getting a call, and getting stealth eyes and flipping it open with one hand and answering. It was always so cool. In fact, I remember that being one of the main things that drew me into getting a dumbphone when dumbphones were new and cool and all the rage. Can't do that with today's smartphones, because they are all flat screened and wide screened, and they work due to touch.

15. thomas pendrake

thomas pendrakeActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes "smartphones" can be pretty dumb. Mine seems to be good at random typing. I know that it is supposed to have a feature that can help avoid typos by anticipating what I am typing, but there are comedians who make a living off peoples' texting errors. Wish I could

16. DreekLass

Threads:
    I can agree with that lol. My smartphone has no buttons that you can press. So it has no press pads basically. Everything works through touch or human body temperature? I am not certain which one, or whether it is a combination of both things. But anyway, sometimes my smartphone freezes and I can touch any part of the screen that I want to, but obviously there is no way to get anything to respond which is pretty dumb to me. I have to literally take the battery out and put it back in and restart the phone to get my phone to work again, which is inconvenient and annoying.

17. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a phone at a moment, I lost mine about a year ago. It wasn't too bad, a Nokia Lumia 900. If I were to get a new phone though, I couldn't see myself with anything less than a pretty good one, most likely Android. If I'm going to have to carry a device in my pocket, it might as well be the best I can fit in that area. So to be honest, I couldn't see msyelf with a "dumb phone"

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yes, but it depends on what you can afford. Luckily for you you can get an upscale device ;) A lot of people simply want an upscale phone though, and they don't even use the 'smart phone' features. They just want a smart phone just to say that they have a smartphone. It is quite peculiar, but at the same time, I don't count other people's money. I personally don't do things like that though. If I am going to buy something I assess how many of the features of a product appeal to me, as to what I am actually going to use.

19. jackslivi

jacksliviMember

Threads:
    I think having a smartphone is awesome if you use it in the right ways. I know a lot of people are about the social media sites but I think that if you use your phone how you want to then it might not be worth it to get a smartphone. I think they should have better phones for just calling and texting because it seems like they do not even want to waste their time making them better. Instead it is all about how to make the smartphone better. I would be lost without my smartphone because of all the pictures I take of my son. I really base my phone on the quality of the camera. I could care less about everything else.

20. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I have a so-called "dumb phone" and that's fine. The bill is nonexistent, I don't have to replace it due to broken screens every six months like my associates, and really I don't need an adult pacifier. If I want to game I have a PSP and a DS, if I want social media I wait 'til I'm home, and other than that a normal phone does ever thing else I need - it can take notes, make calls, make text (although why do texts matter), play games, search the web, and calculate sums... also tell time. So yeah.