Smartwatches vs regular watches

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Apr 7, 2014.

1. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I am like that, too. Like Windows. I was using Windows 98 for a whole year after just about everyone has already upgraded to Windows XP. As for smartphones, I was even later than usual. I think it was at least two years after smartphones became popular that I bought my first one.

2. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    Call me old fashioned but I love my swatch and a simple watch that just gives you the time and has an alarm. All these fancy high tech smart watches and items are too complicated for me and by the time you have found out what the actual time is after you have read through a manual and figured out how to work the thiung, time has gone by and you have missed your appointment because you set the thing up incorrectly. Give me a normal watch anyday!

3. krazyman

krazymanMember

Threads:
    Stay away from the Smart Watches - they are a waste of money. I have a freind of mine who recently purchased a Smart Watch and within two weeks it was broken. If you are looking for a activity tracker - which is really what the Smart Watches are - glorified activity trackers.
    Go with a FitBit - the newest version Charge is a solid purchase for $129 - don't know anyone who has the Surge - but it comes with a hefty price tag of $249. I have a flex for $89 and it does the job for what I need.

4. MD. Mahboob-A-Rabbani

MD. Mahboob-A-RabbaniNew Member

Threads:
    Smart watches are already taking the market of regular watches, but the problem is smart watches are not as much as cheap as regular watches are, Within $10 there are many attractive regular watches in the market, but within $100 I can't think of buying a good high technology supported smart watch Some smart watch has been created by China, and they just look like toys. But our technology is improving day to day, so I think soon, there will be attractive, modern smart watch will available within our budget, by fulfilling our expectations.

5. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I do not see the use of smarwatches, really. Call me old fashion but I prefer my watches to be classic ones that go well with my clothes. I might be interested in owning a smart watch, just so I can say I had one and I know what it does. But other than that, I have my smartphone for everything.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    The idea for smartwatches is pretty cool but pretty tricky to get into. I don't think it would replace smartphones any time soon. Most people go for bigger screens so downgrading to a screen smaller that your thumb would be a bit too much not unless it would offer holographic displays or something.

7. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    I don't own a smart watch, but I do disagree with your prediction of them replacing regular watches. Smart watches have bluetooth, they tell the weather, they have built in pedometers, and you can even record voice memos. This is great, but the problem is that anyone with a smartphone already has that on their phone. Why pay $500 for a watch that offers what your phone already does. Also, classic watches look very professional and well, classy. Smart watches look very geeky and strange, in my opinion. Overall, a smart watch doesn't offer anything that a smartphone can't, and they're pretty unattractive.

8. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It will take it's time Mack, but it will happen. To start with, most of them are under $500 and the next thing is that you get to wear all that in the wrist, you don't need to carry it. More, the geeky look of some of them is disappearing. ;)

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think smartwatches have taken off as well as everyone has been expecting. I am guessing it's because people are already satisfied with smartphones and probably also because not many people wear watches nowadays. That, and smartwatches are crazy expensive and the features they bring aren't that much worth the cost, considering the screen is so small which makes it a bit inconvenient. I've seen a few designs that seem like they could work but sadly they don't get much traction either.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You took the words right out of my mouth, DrRipley! I have yet to see anyone donning a smart watch, and these things tend to spread like wildfire, if they become popular. I live in a country full of very vain show offs (sorry, but it's true LOL)....they love to be seen with the best and flashiest gadgets, but the smart watch hasn't caught on here. You don't even hear people talking about it.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I cannot say that I have ever really used a smartwatch. I just don't see the point in them? I mean, even if I had money to waste, I still don't think that I would buy one, because why? I already have a smartphone to tell me the time, and from my understanding, these smartwatches do similar things to that of tablets and smartphones. don't they all run on Android? It is just pointless to me.

12. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they might become a hit in the near future, however as of now I don't see the use of them. It would be cool if you could use a smartwatch in replacement of your smartphone when you don't want to carry it with you. But they are still dependent of your smartphone being with you and don't funcion by themselves as a phone does, so I say for now I will pass on the trend. Regular watches are chic and I love wearing them!

13. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    It makes no sense to me to get a "smart watch". I have a ton of crazy apps on my phone for everything already. And I have a regular watch that I love. My phone's pedometer is always running when I leave home. The driving app is always running. I don't have any specific health conditions that may need to be monitored and frankly there just aren't that many great smart watches out there.

14. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    As Smartwatches are not even true stand alone items yet and are really nothing more than a device to make life a little easier - by reducing the number of times that someone has to remove their phone from their pocket and still don't seem to be very popular - particularly as - even though the stores are full of them - nobody seems to want to buy them even at discounted prices - I doubt very much that they would be likely to replace anything any time soon.

Especially as they appear to have a few major downsides - for instance - they are said to have a short battery life - as well being so downright ugly, bulky and large that they're almost impossible for most people to wear - as the majority of peoples wrists are too small to accommodate one and even if they were to make them smaller - that may not work either - as the smaller they get the harder they are to use - particularly as - one of the main problems with Smartwatches at present - apart from the fact that people find it difficult to do anything with just one hand - is the smallness of the screen.

In fact even if they did manage to solve some of the problems with Smartwatches - I doubt that their popularity would ever extend much further than a small niche market - as I think Smartphones will remain the preferred choice - as not only are they more functional - but way easier to use.

15. DreekLass

Threads:
    What makes you think that smartwatches will be a hit in the future? I don't know if this will be the case, as smartphones and tablets make them kind of obsolete. I sort of see smartwatches as status symbols, and that is it. I love regular watches. They tend to look better too.

16. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I don't really see the need for a smartwatch, because the only thing that I feel as though I need to use my watch for is to tell the time, and I can do that on a watch that I can get very cheaply indeed. I suppose in the future they might be developed to the extent that they could be some use for something, but just at the moment I don't have any need at all for a smartwatch.

17. DreekLass

Threads:
    Not only that, but I feel like wristwatches are sort of obsolete these days too. With smartphones, feature phones, and or tablets being able to give us the time at any time of the day, having a watch is not particularly necessary. Most of the people that I know these days have a wristwatch for aesthetic purposes only.

18. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    I think for me I am simple and like things that are easy to use which for a watch should be able to just give me the time and set an alarm. Anything more than that I am not interested in.

19. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This thread started a while back, when smart watches had barely come out, and they have really progressed since then, and a lot of people can be seen wearing them now. My daughter got one when they first came out, later upgraded when the newer Series 2 Apple Watch was available, and has just now gotten one of the brand new Series 3 Apple Watch which also has cellular. The older versions had to be somewhere close to the iPhone in order to work; but even then, they were a great accessory. Instead of having to get your phone out of your purse or backpack, you can just answer phone calls, and even texts right from your wrist watch. Besides haveing a variety of watch faces that you can interchange whenever you want to do that, there is also a stopwatch, and a complete fitness tracker that also monitors your heart rate. This way, if you are exercising, you can easily tell of your heart rate is getting too high, or if it is even working at the speed that you want it to work at.
    With the newest cellular Apple Watch, you are completely free of needing to carry you iPhone along with you if it is inconvenient to do so.

20. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    Actually, I do not own one yet but I want to buy one for my son, it would be very useful at school. I am an old fashion guy, I have 40 years old now and I prefer to have a classic watch.