Socks

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by cocolgooh • Jun 3, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    How much do you typically spend on socks? I was at the store looking at socks earlier this week and noticed they seem to be a lot more expensive than I remember them being he last time I bought any! They were selling packs of 2 pairs for about $3 which I thought seemed a lot more expensive than what I used to pay. I'm more used to getting a pack of 5 pairs for that money. Have they seemed to go up a lot lately to anyone else, or am I just not looking in the right places?

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    From where I am, socks are even more expensive than that. I don't even recall seeing a great deal like that. You would usually have to pay at least $10 for a pair of good quality socks. You can find cheaper socks than that but they're usually at local markets, not department stores. And sadly, they're quality isn't really that great. They're very thin and almost see-through.

Brands like Darlington and Burlington are great for socks. They are quite thick and can survive for years and years. These are the socks that I used back when I was still in school. I don't even buy socks every year then. Just when my feet get longer or when the socks are discoloured or destroyed, which rarely happens.

I remember when we went at a play area in the mall, they require socks for kids and adults to get in. You can actually buy from them but the price would be at $1.5o per pair of socks. And the quality of these socks are very low. Definitely not worth it for the price you pay.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't really need socks, especially because I like for my feet to feel like they are free. It is spring/Summer over her in the UK right now, so I don't have much use for socks. But the last time I purchased some in the winter, I purchased in bulk, as I always do. I bought a pack of five pairs for about five pounds.

4. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm quite the skinflint when it comes to socks. I'm happy to buy 5 pairs for £3 at Primark. Yes, I know they'll need replacing within the year but regardless of how expensive my socks are, the holes appear at the same rate!

I stick to the same style of black socks - meaning that if one ever does get a hole, the other one can be paired up with another lone sock. FYI, holey socks make great dusters.

5. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, I certainly wouldn't be buying any of those 10 dollar pair of socks they sell. Geez. I only bought a pair one time when I had a gift certificate to the mall, and I needed socks. I generally try to buy them as cheaply as possible, unless i find something I am crazy about. I like the matching black socks idea. When my dad was young, my grandmother always bought white socks for her brood of boys so if some of the socks got lost or misplaced it was no big deal to match them with another.

6. Jasmine Inya

Jasmine InyaNew Member

Threads:
    I occasionally splurge on cute socks because they make me and my toes so happy! I figure since we spend so much of our lives walking around on our feet, why not decorate them? Socks are somewhat expensive though, especially if you want cute socks with fun designs and wild prints. Even plain socks are somewhat pricey. They are so pricey that my mom has considered mending all of my little brother's socks because of how many pairs he goes through every month! :p

7. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    Here where I am, $1.50 a pair of socks is a good deal. I think it depends on what kind of socks you buy. Dress socks are usually $4-5 a pair and a pack of sports socks or sockettes might $6 for a 3 pack. I find I buy socks in bulk and then don't have to buy again for many years. I stick to the basic colours like navy and black and white for sport socks. I love buying socks at Costco, their prices are very reasonable.

8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always keep an eye out for socks. I buy a pair for .99 always on special at Walgreens or Walmart. Sometimes you can find it even cheaper too at their clearance area of the store. CVS has begun to have shelves for dollar items which is terrific and you can find all sorts of things even socks, but you got to watch the sizes...we won't fit in children sizes at all, lol even if it's free. Sometimes it pays to window shop though it takes time like extra half an hour, but you could find specials you need.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    I wish that I was a bit more like @DreekLass@DreekLass and was able to wear sandals or even go barefoot more, but unfortunately location and place of employment factors really prevent that. I agree, though, that socks are pretty expensive and you probably end up spending a lot more on them than you might think. I am pretty particular too, especially when it comes to my long black socks.

10. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    Since I live in the tropics I don't wear socks as the climate here is mostly on the warm side, and when it is cool, it is not that cool to warrant wearing socks. I wore socks mostly when I was going to school since that was part of the uniform. I also wore them occasionally when wearing pumps to go walking so as to keep the back of the pump from rubbing against my heel. However, I have not done this in a long time. I wear flat shoes now when I go walking. I am not that familiar with what a pair of socks would cost these days.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We still have different prices for different qualities of socks so we do have a choice on which ones to get. I tend to get a mix since I don't really care that much and I prefer having different thicknesses to choose from depending on which shoes I will use that day. The only difference is that the cheaper ones I tend to retire a little bit earlier whereas the more expensive and thicker ones tend to stick around for much longer, but at the same time the cheaper ones are also bundled in more quantities so I have more of them so I consider them all pretty much equal.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know what it is about sandals, but I have never really been a fan of them. I never go barefoot in my home. I live with five other people, three of which are young children. I don't want to risk anything, so I always wear slippers around the house. I buy one pair of slippers and they last for the whole year usually.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't worn socks for the longest time, but if they have increased in price then I'm not surprised, since most products do increase in price over time. If I remember correctly, the last ones that I bought were priced at 3 for $3.

14. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You may find this funny or absurd. In 2012, we were in Bangkok for a tour. Clothing items there are tagged in bargain prices including footwear and other accessories. My husband had spotted a stall selling cheap socks that's $2 for 4 pairs. He said that it's very cheap and the socks are good. He bought 2 packs of those 4 in a bundle. This March when we came back to Bangkok, that stall of socks was his first haunt. And true enough, the socks were still there and with the same bargain price. After buying, my husband said that he will only buy socks in Bangkok so we should be going back after 2 or 3 years to replenish his stock of socks.

15. SammyGregory

SammyGregoryMember

Threads:
    The price I pay varies. I usually buy the cheap socks you buy in a package from places like department stores and Target. However, if I am wanting cute socks I go to other places and spend a bit more, I love the ones at Accessorize. I also have a friend who's mother knits socks and she makes the warmest ones during winter time.

16. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't spend much at all on socks. I will get them as cheap as I can find. I only ever wear socks when I wear boots or very rarely when I wear tennis shoes when I try going to the gym.
    I only have one pair of fuzzy thick socks I paid a bit extra for that I use for extra cold days!

17. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I used to constantly buy kids socks because our washing machine would always eat them up lol.
    Most of the time, I would see 3 pairs for 5 Euros (about 7 dollars) that is very expensive.
    But just recently a friend of mine told me to check at the 1 euro or dollar store because they sell one pair for 1 euros.
    Ther emust be something similar in the dollar stores close to where you live.

18. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The price for socks have gotten higher I have noticed as well. But I usually buy my socks in 4 or 5 packs for 3 bucks I won't pay more than that for socks. But I also buy socks on amazon which sometimes you can find them a lot cheaper and in bigger packs.

19. artyarson

artyarsonActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy a bunch of pairs at stores like H&M. I prefer white ones. They look better on me. I like the material as well. My skin feels good in them. They are not much expensive and don't threadbare in a short period of time. That's pretty much it, guys.

Do you enjoy your socks?

20. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    Even though I like socks, I don't have a need to buy any. I keep a pair in my dresser, but I might wear them once a year. In the summer I wear mules or sandals and in the wintertime I wear warm slippers. Some of the cutest socks I have seen, though have been at Target.