Sodastream

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Mafdet • Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hamz10

Hamz10Member

Threads:
    SodaStream isn't really worth it. You might as well just buy some CO2 canisters. Because all it does it carbonate your water and you add your own syrup. You essentially pay for a carbonation.

2. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    I just bought one off of Living Social so really am hoping it's everything I want it to be. I just went through a transformation of not drinking soda and going to all carbonated water, so it seems like a good and healthy alternative. I don't really want to use the fake syrup though, is it easy enough to use other juices or natural flavors? Using fake sugar in the carbonated water seems to defeat the purpose. Would love to know other's opinions!

3. happyshopper

happyshopperActive Member

Threads:
    I didn't try Sodastream yet but I knew someone who ended up getting it for a present so I have seen it outside of the box. When I first heard about this product I was curious but I'm happy to say that I didn't purchase it because I wanted to wait to see if Sodastream is worth it or not. I don't think I'll be purchasing this product and I'm better off getting my soda at the grocery store.

4. lucaspm98

lucaspm98New Member

Threads:
    Yes, I have one as well. It pretty much does what it says and makes soda instantly. I've never had to replace the air canister and it's turned out to be much cheaper than buying soda. My only complaint is that if you don't screw the bottle on extremely tight the water squirts everywhere.

5. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    I would rather leave the soda making to the professionals. I know it's bad for you and there are a lot of ingredients in it that are disgusting, but there's a reason why soda sells. It's because the people who make them know how to make them taste good. It's one thing to try to make your own peanut butter cups or chocolate chip cookies, but I know I'm not well-adverse in making drinks. That includes espresso. I'm good at making coffee though.

6. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have had a Sodastream for about a year now, and for me, it is perfect ! I don't want to give up having carbonated beverages, but I know that the sugar is bad for you and the artificial sweetener is just as bad, or maybe worse. So then I started drinking just plain carbonated water, which is also called seltzer or sparkling water. That worked out great once I got used to the idea and stopped buying soda pop.
    Then , I got the Sodastream, and now I can make my own carbonated water right here at home, and it is always fresh, sparkling, and made with pure filtered water, and not plain tap water like most other carbonated drinks are made.
    So, I not only save money, don't have to carry bottles or cans of pop home from the store; but I also have a healthier beverage to drink and enjoy.
    I also add either lemon or lime to flavor the water when I feel like it. The frozen fruit juices like frozen orange , grapefruit, or pineapple juice make a wonderful flavored seltzer water, too !! Just add a spoon into the glass before you add the sparkling water, and it mixes as you fill the glass.

7. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't drink soda. We do not drink sodas in our household. If you are purchasing the machine to save money on the drinks because you are a person that drinks a lot of soda, a video I saw recently shows that you really do not save that much money if any at all. The machine looks interesting like something you would want at a party. The post here implies the machine is not of good quality.

8. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    I actually love my Sodastream. My son bought it for me as a gift a couple of years ago, and I use it all the time. However, I just use it to carbonate water. I, too, don't really like the syrups that came with it. I love carbonated water, but for some reason, it's actually more expensive than soda at the store. This gives me an inexpensive way to make my own. I add a little squeeze of lemon and/or lime, or mix it with 100% fruit juice. So much better than soda, and way better for you.

9. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Well, the opinions here about this product run the gamut, that's for sure. I haven't tried this product, and quite frankly wasn't that interested in it from the first time I saw it on a TV commercial some time ago.
    That being said, some people here give it good reviews, and say that it is good for making carbonated water, and you can mix that with fruit juice to create a nice tasting drink. I'm all for that, but even so, I don't think that I would buy a sodastream. It's just really not something that I'm all that interested in.
    If someone I know has one, and I taste that it makes carbonated water that tastes better and is cheaper than that you can get from a store, then I might give this product a try.

10. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    I have been wondering about this product for awhile now. I regularly crave carbonated drinks, and it gets intense. Nothing else seems to quench my thirst when the cravings hit. I also gave up soda pop several years ago, and so I have to get my fix from purchasing carbonated water or energy drinks. Has anyone used it for juice? Is the carbonation still strong?

11. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    That's one thing I like about it - you can make it as fizzy as you want. If I'm just adding a little lemon/lime, I don't make it too fizzy, but when I'm adding juice I make it more so. When using juice, I usually put about 1/2 cup 100% fruit juice and 1/2 cup water - this seems to be a good mix for me, it's still flavorful and "juicy", but it's enough carbonation to make it as fizzy as a soda. The water bottles that come with the Sodastream have a good airtight cap, so the water stays fizzy for a couple of days. Of course, you can always just add a little "squirt" if it goes flat.

One thing I have noticed though, is the "bubbles" in the carbonation seem to be bigger than what you get with soda - if that makes sense?! I would like it better if they were smaller. Other than that, I really like it.

12. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    That makes sense. I don't know why the bubbles would be larger, but I do know what you are saying. I've never had that issue with any carbonated beverage however I haven't tried the Sodastream before either.

You have to use certain water bottles for it?

13. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    It comes with two hard plastic bottles, but I don't think you have to use those specifically. However, the way it works, you twist the bottles onto the machine. I don't see why you couldn't use any bottle, as long as it would twist properly into the fixture and was strong enough to handle the pressure of the carbonation - I don't think something like the bottles that water come in would work, they're just too flimsy.

14. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen this product before and always was curious if it worked or not. I read at some points that the Sodastream works great, but at the same time I have read that the machine is not worth a hoot as you have to constantly buy the CO2 cartridges for it and these are not cheap from what I remember.

15. blur92

blur92Active Member

Threads:
    Interesting. Now, when adding flavor to the water does it taste like the brand, Ice? Or, on the other hand, is it something more subtle. I don't care too much for carbonated water that is just barely favored.

16. galmal

galmalMember

Threads:
    That's the nice thing about it - you control how much "flavor" you want by how much juice you add to the water. I like it about 50/50, which I think has a good amount of flavor, but if you want more just change the ratio and make the water fizzier. It takes some experimenting to get it right. It also depends on the brand and flavor of juice - some are more "syrupy" than others.

17. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I live in Germany, and it's common practice in restaurant to serve more "saft"schorle. Apfelschorle, Maracujaschorle, basically a half half mix of any juice with sparkling water, so I'd say your 50/50 ratio fits to the norms of the country where I live :D Also to those of my diabetic grandparents.

As for the Sodastream, I thought of buying one when my bf sai he might drink less alcohol if we had this in the house. But then he just quit alcohol and it was not really needed, I guess. I don't like sparkling water. But I do like sparkling flavored water. To buy rechanges for it seemed like it could get costly so I did not buy one. Wish I could taste the products -- the only person who has one, when we visited him, served us a Coca Cola bottle even though he had a Sodastream with Cola syrup! X

18. Jake_Arachnid

Jake_ArachnidNew Member

Threads:
    Sodastream is definitely worth getting, it is so great and it has made saving money really easy. You can get a variety of flavour drinks, so you're not just stick with the same flavour. One bottle of concentrated drink can make so many liters of soda. I would definitely recommend investing in a sodastream.

19. aceofspad3s

aceofspad3sNew Member

Threads:
    I'm among those who love my Sodastream! However, I should add that I don't use it for soda, exactly. I make carbonated water with it and then mix that with juices or lemon wedges. I can't stand regular sodas at the store, and I've never bothered trying the flavor packs that come with Sodastream, so I can't make a comparison. However, family who did try the syrups say that they tasted really off. Then again, they're people who can taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke (I know some people say they're the same), so take that as you will.

Anyway, the downside for me is that you have to get your CO2 tank refilled at Bed, Bath, and Beyond or other places. Because I live pretty far from one, it means I'll end up going a few weeks without being able to use it. Otherwise, I love mine and it saves me money on bottled carbonated water.

20. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I was looking into buying one a few years ago but the economics of it didn't really make sense for me. Aside from getting the initial device you also have to get the gas capsules on a regular basis. I just didn't think it was worth it. I would reconsider it if the numbers added up.