Solar Power?

Discussion in Utilities started by joshc428 • Sep 6, 2015.

1. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @

It's certainly not accessible to the masses. But even given the implications, I'd still not mind to slog away, save and have it installed. To me it sounds as if the pluses outweigh the negatives. If money weren't an object, I'd get it done in a heartbeat.

@TheLovingLeah@TheLovingLeah....solar still works at night, I'm guessing because of all that stored energy? We have a lot of safari lodges here, most of which operate solely on solar power. I've never known them to be without electricity at any time of the day.

2. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately it doesn't quite work like that - yet.

Which is why the majority of solar systems - because they don't produce enough electricity to cover 100% of the energy needed to power a home 24/7 - are grid-tied systems - meaning that they are connected to the electrical grid - mainly because - most people don't want the inconvenience of being totally off-grid - due to the fact that it would mean - electrical usage would have to be monitored and restricted in order to keep consumption well below the maximum output of the panels and batteries - as well as having to have a back generator for night time usage.

Therefore - having solar would not be much help for times when the power goes off - for simple reason - that as its safer and quicker to fix faults or power lines without wasting time identifying solar energy systems that may still be feeding electricity into the power lines - grid-tied systems don't continue to operate when the power goes off - as everything is shut down.

3. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    So, being a home owner, and in the lovely state of Massachusetts, I can say that many of the people who live around me have been doing very well placing solar systems on their houses. True, they do not cover all electricity, but the incentives to put them in here make them free in some cases, or extremely low cost in others. Not only is solar viable, it is a good option.

Also, look up Tesla's new battery...pretty impressive to store electricity.

4. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    @gata montes@gata montes Wow that sounds WAY more complicated than I imagined. I am not very good with complicated things either. In a way seems better to just go with the regular way. If I would need a generator anyways with using solar power, seems better to just go with electricity. If I understood the generator part right. It seems too complicated having a house working on solar power only.

@Lushlala@Lushlala I did not know it worked at night. It is truly amazing how things work. That sounds really cool! That would be awesome to have a lodge that operates on solar power only. I just probably should stay away from getting a house working on solar energy. Having a house operating on solar energy sounds complicated.

#24Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2015
  5. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    I think what was being said was that all solar houses were mixed, and need to be until we develop better storage technology, but there is a nice first option with the tesla battery announced here:

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @TheLovingLeah@TheLovingLeah....It is truly amazing and is especially appealing to all the tourists who come to visit because they can see that the Botswana safari industry is doing their bit to look after the environment. I guess for people like you and me who have to watch the pennies, it may not be the best option. However, if money weren't an object for me, I'd install solar energy in a heartbeat, no two ways about it.

7. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The problem with accessing solar power at the household level is the high installation costs. Many would love to have this facility because of the long-term benefits, however, acquiring the funding to install this service may be a daunting task.
    We hear governments and NGO's alluding to the environmental and economic benefits to be derived from solar power, but we are yet to see a really concerted effort to provide the requisite incentives, to facilitate widespread saturation.
    Now the price of oil is at it's lowest for more than a decade, this may probably result in a shift in focus on solar energy in the short term.
    However, I do believe that at some time in the future, we will see new the introduction of newer technologies that enable more households to acquire solar energy at a more affordable cost.

8. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Where I come from, solar power isn't expensive because artisans and technologists have come up with cheap designs which don't require an foot and a leg to acquire. Wiring is not that expensive and I have witnessed a household using the same and I can bet that they were a fulfilled lot due to the low cost of the same. The only problem is that people are conservative and slow to uke up photovoltaic technology.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish all states would provide solar coverage at low or no cost. Especially here in Virginia where it is sunny alot of the time, I think people could really benefit from solar power and technology. It would be realy helpful for all to acquire. I think it should be mandated everywhere in the state.

10. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    You can install your solar panels above in the roof. If you live in a own house and not under a mortgage or anything like that could be a neat idea. A major drawback to rooftop solar is that it produces peak power around noon, before it’s needed for afternoon system peak. Also, roof top solar benefits aren’t available to renters, to low income folks, the jobless or those trying to recover from joblessness.

11. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    Our government has invested a lot of money in solar power, however, it is not generation solar energy itself, rather promoting solar power in the household. The main purpose of domestic solar power is lighting the house and running electrical appliances. Government provides subsidy on solar power installation in the rural areas and provides low interest low for urban areas. We have solar power in our house.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    No experience with using solar power, but gathered that's quite expensive installing one. I would be interested in the source of power as it is one sure source of steady power especially in areas where there could be power instability. I do believe on the long run it's economical

13. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We are using more and more solar power everywhere, especially with the electric cars who can charge their batteries from solar power. Since this is the power source that is most renewable, eventually it will have to become the most used power source, as other power sources either become too expensive, or completely unavailable.
    While is indeed expensive to just go all solar, and not practical unless you own your own home and do not intend to move, using it as an emergency back-up source for phones and tablets is relatively cheap and easy to do.
    We have a small solar pad that can be put out in the sun, and it will store energy into a battery powered charger, then the battery powered charger can be used to charge up anything that has a USB port. We also have solar flashlights which we keep in the sunniest windows, so when the electricity goes out, we can still have lights and keep the phone and ipads charged.
    Outside, we have the small solar yard lights. When we had a long power outage, we brought those inside during the evening hours and used them for inside lights, and the next morning , we took them back outside to re-charge.
    Doing things like this, a bit at a time, will at least help you to be better prepared in an emergency situation.

14. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't try it because my electricity bills aren't too high as it is. I heard that electricity is expensive in other countries but I don't mind paying mine. If my electricity bills were too high then I would definitely invest in solar power to power my house.

15. luisalex96

luisalex96Member

Threads:
    The sun oriented asset is adequate for sun powered electric frameworks (otherwise called photovoltaic frameworks) since they can utilize both immediate and scattered daylight. In any case, the measure of power created at a specific site relies on upon the amount of the sun's vitality achieves it

Before you purchase a PV framework, you will need to make sure your site has enough sunlight based vitality to meet your power needs productively and financially. Your neighborhood framework provider can play out a sun powered site examination for you or demonstrate to you industry standards to do as such all alone.

The financial aspects of a home sun based electric or PV framework are controlled by both the capital and working expenses. Capital expenses incorporate the underlying expenses of outlining and introducing a PV framework. Working expenses incorporate the expenses connected with keeping up and working the PV framework over its helpful life.

Before selecting framework parts and estimating a PV framework for a current home, you ought to assess your vitality utilization examples and attempt to decrease your home's power utilize.

16. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Solar power is going to be a great support for a country like ours where the sunlight is available almost round the year. Besides our government is ready to provide subsidy for installment of solar devices and also to buy the extra power from individuals for marketing purpose. I am planning to take the full advantage of this scheme as our country needs power so dearly.

17. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    I know a person who has an inverter that runs on solar power during power cuts. Since the power cuts are of short spells it doesn't show much difference but when the power cuts ran for longer hours that's when we realised it wasn't worth the cost.

18. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know which part of the country you live in but in my area the power cut even in cities is for longer duration and a single cut could last for 3-4 hours at one time or even more. During summers we have to face 8-10 hours' power outage in a day in cities and our villages get 4-6 hours of power supply only. So solar power could be the only solution even if it costs a little extra.

19. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Installation is expensive but I have no monthly bills anymore. I use to pay $ 200.00 dollars a month with my electric Bills. Now I pay nothing, I can use that 200 bucks for my dental care and my pets have a monthly check up with a veterinarian now. I am able to have a better financial freedom because I have 2 less bills. I don't have gas bills anymore because I cook with electronic devices. I stopped using gas stoves.

20. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is a good idea that you have planned it out. Since you are still studying it would be a great change or progress as far as solar energy is concerned. As of now, solar energy could give more benefits to the users in a location where solar plant is located. But to have a separate device to be installed in the house that would be too expensive to install the grid initially but in the long run it gives a great saving. Keep it up that idea to plan out for your future and you will succeed and enjoy the fruit of such attitude.