Some traveling tips to save money

Discussion in Travel started by eagletal88 • Jan 17, 2015.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh, well these posts are not putting my mind at ease with regards to laptops. The last thing that I'd want to do is check it in and have it either damaged or lost. I am getting heart palpitations just thinking about that scenario lol. Do you have to pay anything extra for hand-carrying a laptop??

2. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    No extra charges. I do travel and packed it in it's carrying bag spreat then other accessories i don't want to harm or damage it.

3. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    Plan as much of the trip as you can beforehand, and book as much as you can in advance. I've had several road trips with my partner, and every-time I book one, its never well planned and we end up spending more than the budget we set. However when she does, we end up having a better time, seeing more and sometimes even saving on our budget! Buying/booking things last minute costs so much more.

Also try travelling at obscure times, especially if your initial destination is a city airport. Avoid flights that arrive at the destination first thing Monday morning, and Friday evening (bear this in mind for the return flights as well). A Tuesday/Wednesday afternoon flight is unlikely to be in as much demand as the previously mentioned, so ticket prices are likely to be cheaper.

4. DreekLass

Threads:
    What is the average price that a trip would usually cost people?? I mean, I know that it depends on where you are going, and from where, but I was looking at flight rates, and £700 and up seems a little excessive to me, for a return ticket to someplace?? Or am I just a newbie here??

Like, it's £700 - £900???

5. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    Depends literally on the two things you mentioned. I have a simple way to determine how much I pay for flights: if its over £600, then it needs to be a place where things are extremely cheap locally. This is a travel thread so if you give a little more info, I'm sure someone here will be able to adequately advise.

6. DreekLass

Threads:
    I'm looking to travel from Birmingham UK to New York, stay in a hotel and they fly to California, Santa Rosa, where I will be staying with the person that I am supposed to be meeting in New York. I've never flown before so I am nervous about that whole process, but the money is the immediate worry.

You hear about people flying all the time, and I cannot believe that flights cost that much money. It's a little ridiculous to be honest lol!!

7. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    I think (depending on season) £600 seems about reasonable for those flights. If I were you I may even consider buying an internal flight when in America to connect from NY to CA (travelling within america is v.cheap) and then booking your main ticket to arrive to NY but depart from CA. For what its worth, I paid £975 to go to San Francisco xmas 2013.

Also try the Emirates airlines like Emirate, Etihad, Quatar etc, their pricing is usually pretty good.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    Which seasons are the cheapest?? Also, thank you for answering my inquiries ;) Hmmm. That is a good idea. I know that great British pounds converted into dollars amounts to a lot, so it makes sense that making an internal flight in America would be the smart thing to do ;) Thank you for all of this advice ;)

PS: Do you mean £600 for each flight?? UK to New York, to Santa Rosa, and then back to the UK again??

#28Feb 17, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  9. DejiK

DejiKMember

Threads:
    No what I mean is that the return flight to the US should come in at around £600, and then you could probably get an internal flight to California from New York for about £100. I couldn't say for sure which seasons were the cheapest, what I'd say is to avoid travelling around the thanksgiving and Christmas/new year celebrations.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    Hmmm. Ok then, well thank you again for those tips ;) I will definitely pitch this traveling 'strategy' to the person that I am going to be meeting in New York. The only thing is that i have no idea how long the stays will be, and hotels will have to be factored in, as well as spending money, which I will have to get converted into dollars before I go. Travelling is stressful lol

11. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hope your trip goes well. Hopefully, that nervousness will turn into excitement. :)

If you don't have someone to pick you up at the airport, you may want to book a car or get a rental car to drive yourself. Otherwise, you should be able to find a taxi at the airport. A hired car or taxi can be expensive, especially if your destination is quite far from the airport. You may want to look into these things in advance, so you can budget for it, or try to get someone to pick you up.

Is it possible to just carry an extra large handbag and tuck your laptop case inside it?

12. tasha

tashaActive Member

Threads:
    To get a free flight or upgrade you need to give up your seat and be on standby so that an emergency passenger can take your seat. The airline will reward you with a discount or they will upgrade you if you are prepared to wait.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thank you. I sincerely hope that it does too. I just don't know what to expect, and I do not want to miss a flight or end up in the wrong country with no way to get back or anything like that. I will be getting a taxi from the airport with the person that I am meeting, and so we will be able to split the taxi bill to the hotel we will be staying in.

I have no idea. I've never flown before and do not really know the rules.

14. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are a couple of sites that say they have the allowances/restrictions for every airline worldwide. I don't know if it's okay to link it here, so I won't link, but farecompare(dot)com has a worldwide baggage fee chart (including what's free and when charges begin to apply). I hope that helps.

Many airlines allow at least one free carry on. Many also restrict the size, so it might be do-able if you have a bag that fits within their guidelines.

15. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    The advice given here are great and I definitely did not know most of them. I will heed to them and will definitely try out many other that I have come across.

16. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    I absolutely agree that we should book earlier than the period we want to trip in, but I don't agree with people saying that we should trip in a less popular period of the year, as there's a reason travel agencies offer their services for bigger prices, which include more travel opportunities, local events, seasonal food etc.
    It would be a good choice for you if you were interested only in visiting the region rather than experimenting the specialties it offers, but I personally wouldn't imagine a vacation somewhere without eating/visiting something that goes beyond my "habits".

17. Kylrey

KylreyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes i do agree with you unseasonable tours just let you enjoy the sightseeing of any destination. But i love exploring all charming views and sides of my favourite destination without caring about the crowed of tourists and expenses.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    Never leave anything of great value in a checked suitcase. Not only is theft a potential problem, luggage is constantly lost or misdirected and you might arrive at your destination without something you need. Damage is an even greater concern to me than theft. The last time I travel my still-new suitcase was badly handled and one of the handles was ripped off. You shouldn't have to pay extra to carry on a laptop as most airlines allow one small bag.

19. DreekLass

Threads:
    Thank you for the advice. But I thought that you had no choice but to follow the airport's 'carry on' bag policy?? The theft and damage are the two main things that I am worried about with regards to my valuables, especially my laptop. I'd like to carry in my hand luggage, but if it is bigger than the bag that they reccommend, then what choice do I have? My laptop is not small, unless my laptop bag qualifies?

20. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I would suggest you fly indirect. If time is not a big problem and you really want to save money , then consider a flight with a stop-over. Indirect routes are often a much cheaper option.