Sometimes Black Friday deals are really just scams

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by freelove89 • May 27, 2012.

1. freelove89

freelove89New Member

Threads:
    Last year I worked as a seasonal employee at a Levis retail store during Black Friday and a few weeks before Christmas. We had a discount on Black Friday that if you bought two pairs of jeans the price would be around $10 off. The store had put up all kinds of decorations to emphasize the huge Black Friday sale. Though when I checked the prices a week later, the deal was the same. I think some stores have caught on and aren't really giving you a special deal on Black Friday.

2. Some1else0

Some1else0Member

Threads:
    Yeah... That's how stores make even more money from Black Friday.
    I bet you just about every store does something like this...

3. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    They just suck you in with the same prices. It's just good marketing and people don't pay attention to the prices anyway. They're too concerned with getting a deal. I'm happy that you actually noticed something like that, I guess that means you pay attention to their scams. I went to a Black Friday and they said they had a laptop for $200, and when I get there they say they're all gone. I can't stand when they do that you wait in line all night, and then you don't get the item you want.

4. Beetler76

Beetler76Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I try not go out any more. I just buy online. Staples usually has pretty good deals with easy rebates. Last year my wife dragged me to joann's to buy $1 per yard fabric. She said it was a good deal. There had to be 100 people in line to get fabric cut. It was horrible.

5. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    I've heard about this before but I'm not really sure if that this is true. I'm looking towards if I should actually change sites I'm looking at or what not. :p

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I have experienced something similar. Many years back, I saw an advertisement for a computer part that was offered at a really good price. The shop was on the other side of the city. Took me nearly an hour to get through the heavy traffic to get there. Then when I arrived, they told me it was already sold out. However, they said, they had a different model which, of course, cost a lot more. Needless to say, I refused to buy anything from such scammers.

7. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    This doesn't only happen during Black Friday, it happens all the time in lots of stores. This is why it's very rare to find REAL discounts - although there are shops like BestBuy that do have lower prices.

8. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    Most of the time, whether it's Black Friday or not, deals are not really deals. They mark up the prices so that they can "discount" them and make you feel like you're getting a deal when in actuality you're not.

A friend of mine was telling me about a friend of his who was having trouble selling his jewelry until he doubled the prices and advertised a 50% off sale. Then people came flocking to him.

9. iluvmario

iluvmarioActive Member

Threads: