Storage Options For Kids

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Zyni • Jan 24, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So, I did this years ago, but I've been seeing it a lot lately on Pinterest. Good to know I wasn't a dork for doing it after all, ha ha.

You know those storage boxes that look like milk crates that come in all different colors? You can easily connect them with plastic wire tires or something to make an easy and affordable storage unit for toys, games, books, or even clothes.

You could really use them for anything, not just for kids' stuff, but the bright colored ones are perfect for kids.

#1Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have used the milk crates as storage to hold books and kinds of things. The crates are good for any kind of storage the garage is also a good place to use the milk crates.

Pinterest is a great place for ideas to use common household items in different ways.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Thank you for sharing this creative storage idea. To be honest, I've purchased plastic storage containers for my son's toys. And they are still littered everywhere. Well, especially his books, I have yet to find a storage for them yet. But you actually have given me inspiration. I'm looking at milk crates for storage on Google now. I especially love the storage with cushions on top to make them seats with storage under. Super cute!

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to use milk crates to store my books when I was in college. The only downside is that the holes don't keep dust out the way a plastic tote would. My daughter is a teen but still has some of her childhood dolls out of nostalgia.
    We store them by using bed risers on the legs of our beds that elevate our bed frames 14 inches off the ground, allowing us to put plastic bins under the beds. The bed skirts hide everything.

5. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    We have a kind of storage box that you can simply stack on top of each other and they're made of plastic which means they are durable and cheap as well. My mom used to place most of my toys on those boxes because I was very disorganized when I was a child. Thankfully she left my collectibles out of those boxes because that would decrease their value considering they're in mint condition.

6. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    You can buy ones at Walmart that are actually for toys and they're very cute. I got 3 of them and stacked them on top of one another after I saw my friend's at her house. But we also use those big blue tubs to store toys in as well. Either way, there are a lot of great DIY options out there for toy storage!

7. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    I use plastic milk crates to store clothes in all of our closets. They fit conveniently on the closet shelves, and make a good place to store socks, underwear, t shirts, etc. Milk crates are also great storage for toys, because you can see what type of toys are being stored in them. We also use plastic milk crates to haul things around the yard whIle doing yardwork. They make a convenient, move able storage solution that you can also turn upside down as use as a seat while working out in the yard.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I love milk crates for storage but I also love the inexpensive baskets you can get at the Dollar Store. They are great for storing pencil, erasers etc. Then I love using old mason jars to store crayons, erasers, paper clips. There are some nice canvas ones you can get at the Dollar Store as well. They are well made and can hold quite a bit. I use these for storing books in my kids' bedrooms. I like Ikea for their shelving. We put up a shelf all around my son's room so he store his trophy's, art work framed photos. It's a great way to get stuff up off the ground.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Milk crates are the best things ever when it comes to finding storage and saving money. It is even better because the kids actually like using them too, which means that they are just a little more clean around the house which can really add up and make quite the difference. They are easy to find and last a long time and not all that bad to look at either, and they are free, which are certainly all good qualities to look for.

10. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Good OP. I always find milk crates around the neighborhood that someone has discarded because they do make for good storage units. I wash them of course. I've accumulated many and are used for both inside and outside storage for crafts.
    @ACSAPA@ACSAPA. A suggestion to eliminate dust, I covered mine with an inexpensive towel that I can simply add to the wash when needed. I found that the hand towels fit perfectly.