Subliminal messages on ads?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by mxc019 • Oct 29, 2013.

?

Have you ever bought something that you didn't need but somehow you wanted it for no particular reas

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. No

66.7%
  1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When you bring up the fact that there is subliminal messaging in most television advertisements these days, people want to call you a conspiracy theorist, or call you paranoid. But it is nice to see this thread and know that you are not alone in what you have noticed. It is not just adverts that have the subliminal messaging. It is is in documentaries and movies too.

2. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd say no to that subliminal message. But children in the house are surely influenced by the model of the tv commercial or the celebrity endorser. Right now there is a love team that is very popular. In fact, they have more than 6 tv commercials, from McDonalds to Coke and some other products like shampoo and laundry detergent. The reason is that the fans of that love team buy their endorsed products.

3. DreekLass

Threads:
    The whole point of subliminal messaging is to slip it into your sub-conscious mind without you being any the wiser. Why do you think people buy stuff they neither want nor need, yet they re willing to trample other human beings on Black Friday to purchase these items? A lot of the thoughts that we have are not our own. We already know that anything that operates on a subconscious level will manifest physically.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    People buy stuff they neither want nor need because they're greedy, feel unworthy, need affirmation, are filling a void of some sort, grew up poor, are afraid to go without, seek happiness in buying etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. All a company has to do is push one of those buttons and people fly off to their stores. It's so ABSOLUTELY and UNBELIEVABLY easy to get people buying; all they have to do is flash a picture of their logo at this point and they've reminded people they NEED something lol. Geez Dreekster, stop being such a conspiracy nut, tin foil is bad for the environment! It's been a few years now, at least, I think it's about time for our first fight lmao.

I may not agree with you (so far) on this, but I hate people calling conspiracy theorist... people have every right to question and mistrust those who own the world as they keep giving us reasons to question and mistrust them. That's proven fact. But THIS would be beyond them?? lol I think not. Not saying I disagree because it's paranoid.. I disagree because I haven't seen the proof myself.

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
  6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Social science researchers and scholars have a different term for subliminal messages. They call it "soft power" or a subtle and unobtrusive way of brainwashing people into buying a certain product or an offer. Marketing firms are good at it. They want to make people believe that a brand is coveted so that they will indeed covet it. Don't designers do it by using influential people in ad campaigns, talent-regardless?

7. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    It's not just ads, apparently the way goods are placed on supermarket shelves are also designed to influence shoppers to buys them. Toys and sweets at a child's eye level, chocolates and magazines near the till and so forth. I feel like if we can just avoid impulse buying and stick to a shopping list we can beat them at their own game. Subliminal messages are really sneaky.

8. DreekLass

Threads:
    No, I agree that that is all a part of it, and using celebrities to push certain products all plays into that culture of people buying things that they neither want nor need. But I definitely think that subliminal messaging is a thing, and I definitely think that it works. The problem is how subtle it all is. Few people will ever question it, and when you say it to people, you are seen as a conspiracy theorist or someone who is arrogant and claims to know everything, whilst everyone else is a sheep.When people have negative thoughts/ emotions going on subconsciously, it usually manifests in an unhealthy way in their lives, until they call light to it consciously, and do the work to undo the programming. So it exists, and has been shown to have an impact on waking conscious life, regardless of whether or not you are consciously aware of it or not. Subliminal messages work similarly. It is all programming, but at a subtle subconscious level. It is sinister because few people know it is there. And what makes it worse is that they understand how our minds and consciousness works better than we do too. Well most of us anyway. By all means, there are many contributing factors to why consumerism is in the state that it is, but I don't doubt for a second that subliminal messaging is but one tool in their arsenal. LOL!! You don't want to fight with me ;) It will turn into something sexual, I am sure ;)

#28Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Lmao!!!!!! I'm not going to be able to talk to you at all soon, you're narrowing it down to nothing lol.. at least we still have penny pinching and corruption haha.
    upload_2016-2-2_8-37-16.

Ok so first we should clarify what you mean by subliminal messages. It sounds like you're talking run of the mill manipulation (?), rather than sneaky, unoticeable ads and images etc. Manipulation is easy.. people are SO easy.. subliminal messages are a complete waste of time and I think they know that by now. You'd think if anyone is still giving it a go, they must be suffering in sales or something lol.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    God forbid your husband find some of my comments lmao :/ :p No, I am talking about the sneaky ads, images, and the unnoticeable stuff, which for me comes under the bracket of manipulation too. To me, it all comes under the same bracket. It goes into the human psyche Maybe not everyone, but the fact that it works at all should be counted by the masses, I think. It is like when you get asked a question, and you would first think you did not know the answer, but then from the dusty recesses of your mind the answer pops out of nowhere, and you had little idea that you would even know the answer. It works that way. No doubt in my mind that subliminal messaging packs a punch, and when coupled with their other manipulations, it is perhaps even more potent.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well yes, it's all manipulation.. both sneaky and unnoticeable to most, but I just don't see the point in the flashing pictures and can't see them wasting their time on it when they already have everyone wrapped up tight. Who knows though, I wouldn't put it past them.. I just think it's hilarious. I've stepped so far away from this stuff and I'm actually still blown away by how a part of the machine everyone is. It's scary. And we're all forced into it, whether we see it or not.. how is that okay with everyone? How is that "just the way it is"? Subliminal messages? Over pieces of paper? Oops, over digital, made up, magical numbers now. It's so disturbing how everyone's lives literally revolve around a symbol, so much so they've willingly shackled themselves.

12. DreekLass

Threads:
    I don't really have much of an opinion on the flashing type of subliminal messaging, although if they are doing it it probably has some sort of impact. These people know a LOT more about the human mind/consciousness, and how it works, than they would ever willingly release to the mainstream public. I am more talking about the 'unnoticeable' subliminal messaging, which people think does not go into their psyche, but does, like numbers in the background of a news report. They are now saying that the brain can store as much as google does, but calls upon the information selectively. But the information is there. That is the whole point of subliminal messaging. To put the ideas/seeds/information there in the psyche.They are afraid and want and need to keep things a certain way. On top pf that, they think it is funny to use our own minds against us - like to laugh at how stupid we all are. Subliminal messaging is just one of many tools these creatures have lol. It is okay with everyone because few know the true extent to which they are being lied to, manipulated, and wronged. and with all the fluoride in the water, even if people find out, would they care? It makes one apathetic. There is a reason why that is the main ingredient in so many SSRI's, and there is a reason why Hitler used to use it. We are being attacked via food, propaganda, water, mainstream media etc...

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Oh ok.. I thought we were talking a specific manipulation. I don't know anything about the symbols and what not because with or without them we're owned. Take away all manipulation.. we're still owned. So if they're still using these types of techniques, maybe they don't know us as well as they seem to. As I always say, people are very very easy. Give them conveniences and false status and they're all yours.

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I usually focus on the value that I may be able to derive from the product which is being advertised. Advertisers spend huge sums of money creating advertisements in order to convince consumers to buy their products. However, I refuse to be caught up in the euphoria. Need and value for money will always be my motivation for purchasing.

15. SomeonesDaughters

SomeonesDaughtersNew Member

Threads:
    @mxc019@mxc019 Definitely. There is a science behind advertising. Colors, script music and other stuff all pay a part in getting the consumer to want what they see. Certain advertisers spend more money on their commercials than they do anything else in their business. They know that a lot of business will come in just off their commercial. They have to make that money back right? Those who are easily influenced or gullible are even easier to be drawn in. When it comes down to it; it's important to be disciplined and focused when it comes to your money.

@ohiotom76@ohiotom76 I see that all the time. Especially in prime time comedy shows. I like to look around at the background stuff and see what else is going on in the room so I end up noticing things they forgot to fix and subliminal crap. Those messages sit in your subconscious for a certain amount of time and then all of a sudden it's on your mind. It's all by design of course and it's important to take care when watching tv. You never know what is being pushed into your head. It's the same thing with music. There is actually an algorithm for making a song a hit. It's that serious. Even when it comes to shopping in the supermarket. Subliminal messaging is everywhere.

#35Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2016
  16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ads use all kinds of tactics from sex appeal to product placement to get people to buy. I don't think I've recently been swayed by an advertisement, but when I was a teen, I used to buy things when I saw my favorite pop stars in the commercials. In the 80's, I bought both the Paula Abdul LA Gear and the Paula Abdul Reebok shoes just because I was a fan of her.

17. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    @ohiotom76@ohiotom76....now that I have seen, and the way they sometimes do it is not even that subtle LOL I've even observed that some of those attempts are even apparent on reality shows. I mean, it's laughable how they'll sometimes make a half-hearted attempt at blurring out brands, but you can make them out! But that sort of stuff will not move me to buy any more of the products than I normally would. So for me, it's just silly LOL

18. Sealpikachu

SealpikachuMember

Threads:
    I would love to say I was not influenced, but i probably was. The whole point of the subliminal messages is you not noticing them which, most of the time, we don't. I wonder ehat thpe of subliminals they use in videogame advertising, those I always end up buying.

There definitely is stuff hidden in commercials. During a short advertising class we took we took screenshots of real commercials and zoomed in throughout their duration to see if we could find anything. There was stuff everywhere. From McDonalds commercials to simple hotel ones, they all had mesages your eyes see but you do not fully process. It makes me think of that video with the moondancing bear, you see it, you just don't pay attention.

#38Apr 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  19. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, companies pay beaucoup bucks to advertising companies who dissect ads they are to present spend thousands of dollars on focus groups and the like to get us to buy a particular product or products. Everything is important from the trademark to the colors, images and wording. I am sure they will advertise to the consumer subliminially as well as overtly to get them to buy.

20. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that we are getting subliminal advertising a lot of the time, and it just flashes by too fast for people to see what the ad is saying. Even when they don't use subliminal ads, they are designed to make you want the item, and especially when it is selling some kind of food item.
    They are not supposed to use subliminal ads, and i think that it was made illegal at one time; but they still do it, as well as suggestive ads, which might not actually be subliminal, but they do reach you in more than just the obvious ad that you see.