Suggestions For Cooking Without A Stove

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MissLibby • Jul 22, 2016.

1. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You could also consider a Dutch oven and a hotplate because any recipe that can be cooked in a conventional oven, can be cooked in a Dutch oven. These are basically any large heavy pots that are suitable for stovetop or oven use(with tight fitting lids)-but make sure it has a oven safe lid if you put one in the oven though. These Dutch ovens are thick walled and usually cast iron, but also ceramic and clay as well.

2. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    My toaster oven is always my best friend in places like this, but I guess it also depends on what you have. A good rice cooker can be handy too, but they can also sit on the shelf for years.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    This time of year is the perfect time to shop for small appliances. The post holiday sales should prove fruitful, especially for items that are often given as gifts, such as electric skillets, griddles, and Crock Pots.

I'm sure a lot of stuff will be marked down during these after Christmas sales, so with or without a regular stove, now is a good time to shop if you're interested in these kinds of items.

4. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    If I were you I would suggest getting a toaster oven, pressure cooker or airfryer. I think it is a cheap alternative due to food being able to be cooked most faster and much healthier. The airfryer and pressure cooker will be able to help you bake, fry and roast. It is a lot easier to manage compare to a stove.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you seen Red Copper 5 Min. Chef? It looks very good, but you got to get cookware that works for your family. I like my toaster oven a whole lot and like to bake with it too. I haven't used my stove's oven at all. I use my toaster oven for almost everything. Somethings an electric skillet is best though like bacon, hamburgers etc. These days you got rice you can cook up in a skillet, Uncle Ben, Rice A Roni or Knor's package Spanish Rice. Cast iron skillet, that you got to cure for it to cook well, is another durable cookware that you can use for everything.

6. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    I am thinking of getting a cast iron skillet for my myself, how do you cure it properly?

7. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    I found the most easiest and good explanation for seasoning your cast iron pans and what's great is it's youtube by a famous person! I love my cast iron frying pans. I've inherited one from my Grandparents to my Mother now to me. We also found a smaller one at the Salvation Army store that was just right size for us and seasoned it. I love cooking in both!

This video is very good too!

Here is a site for some recipes cooking with your cast iron pans. Enjoy!

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the videos, I haven't had time to watch them yet, but will do so soon. I really liked the link you have given me for the recipes, they are so simple and so amazing. Thanks once again. I think these will really help turn many diehard fans of nonstick cookware towards traditional and more safer and better methods of cooking!o_O

9. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We have been cooking using a stove either it is fueled by firewoods, or charcoals. In like manner we cook by using a gas stove. But my wife who is our cook finds it sometime difficult for the firewoods are too costly so as with charcoals. So she buys a rice cooker and our problem has been solved. We are also aiming to get hot plate but it is still very remote.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Threads:
    :)You know what...I don't clean my cast iron with salt at all. I like to clean it and disinfect it because we are cooking with it. It's up to you how you'll clean your cast iron pots and pans, but for me I like to have my pots and pans very clean. I fry bacon a lot in my cast iron frying pans, so it gets enough grease again to keep it aged. I save by bargain hunting for cast iron in thrift stores. You're welcome and glad to help.

11. Athanas

AthanasActive Member

Threads:
    In case there is totally no any other meansof cooking my food, then I can go for a kerosene stove. The stove really pollutes the environment, it is not efficient in terms of fuel consumption and can cause serious accidents anytime. I prefer a gas or an electric cooker. The two are good examples of the safest means of cooking, if they are handled well. They don't produce toxic smaoke and hence, less likely to cause harm to the environment.