Sweets as gifts

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • Oct 3, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When the kids are around 5 more or less they start to attend a lot of birthday parties, sometimes once per week and not only they eat a lot of sweets there as they also usually bring a bag of sweets home. I feel this is too much and totally unhealthy, how do you see it?

2. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like it's pretty unhealthy too, I personally wouldn't let my children eat that much candy, as it would just lead to them getting sick.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That's what I do kittyface, I put all the candy they receive in a bag I have in the house and we eat them along the next months, yes, months! I don't know why parents make those offers though, I guess they feel it's the easy way and it's once per year, but it's not, they have dozens of friends.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think it's alright. Kids' bodies can handle a lot of sugar and they process it really fast, so I'm not too worried. I would just be a bit more cautious of it turning into a bad habit or if it ends up ruining their teeth, but under proper supervision and a whole lot of physical activities I think it's alright.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sweets are a part of childhood, yes do control them but don't deprive them because they will find a way to eat them somehow. My mother used to do this so I would sneak into the larder either very early and eat chocolate. Now if she let me eat it I would probably have eaten less. One Christmas she was away so my brother and I ate chocolate and then we stopped because we felt sick and had enough. So children will stop naturally.

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yeah, I am not thinking about depriving them from sweets, I even buy them from time to time, but I feel that it's just too much. In some cases I bring them home and store them and in the worse case I throw them away, some sweets are really bad.

7. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as I would not agree to my kids eating sweets, it'd be impossible to stop them during parties unless I'm personally in their midst to prevent that from happening. I guess most kids have a sweet tooth. It's the only flavor that appeals to them best. It sounds very interfering but I'll try to hide the bag of sweets as soon as my kids go somewhere maybe to play with cousins or their friends. I have to regulate their sweets intake or they'll end up having really bad teeth when they grow up.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    You don't have to let them ear it all, let them eat a little and then put the rest in the fridge/cupboard for another day. :/

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It may be unhealthy, but it has going on since the beginning of time, hasn't it?? It is considered normal. When the children in my family return from a party, they always have a bag of goodies with them, and it always contains sweets, and a small chap toy, and a party hat of some sort. It is definitely unhealthy. But unless the parent of the party organizes healthy party bag options, or the other parents refuses their child the party bag, what can we do?

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, it's normal dreek, but I think it's our choice to change that. Just imagine that your kid has 24 school friends and that every single one makes a small party, that's a bag of candy every other week in the year, it's just too much.

11. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. I think that everybody likes a bag of sweets as much as the next person. But I'm just thinking of the teeth of these children. Though you must bear in mind that not every child who has a party at school brings in party bags that are full of sweets, or throws a party that yields party bags after, so that is a good thing. But for those who do do it, it still seems like that would be a lot of sugar. Sometimes these party bags are full of toys rather than sweets though. But you can never call it.

12. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    Sweets are interesting stuffs for children, but I don't think we should hand them out for free. Unless when children are visiting or when waiting in line at the dentist, then I don't really think sweets are the right snacks. As gifts, if they are presented in the form of a parcel then that would not be too bad of an idea.

#12Oct 28, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  13. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    As a new mom, I would like to think that under my care my child will always be eating as healthy of a diet as I can provide them but unfortunately I cannot be everywhere to monitor what they are eating. I don't see anything wrong with giving your child some candy or a piece of cake now and then but there is a point where it becomes unhealthy. The best we can hope for is to teach our children about healthy eating and hope that they make good decisions and eat sweets in moderation when there is no one there to monitor their diet.

14. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I dislike it when parents give sweets in the party bag as well, one or two candies are fine but to have a whole goody bag full of candy is crazy to me. I've given my 10 year old plenty of parties and I usually put mostly little mini toys or mini pen and pad ect. Sometimes I go to the wholesale spot and get all the kids one big nice toy that they all would like, I get different colors or options for the boys and girls. There are so many other things you can put inside of a goody bag, there are so many options and I feel that parents who just put candy in the bags are being lazy or just don't care about there kids or my kids dental health. Yes, they might feel like it's only one day, let the kids eat all the candy they want but at the end of the day they will still have a cavity that is painful to fill in and or a belly ache.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    My mother is the worse in what concerns giving sweets to my kids, it's really annoying. They slept over with her the other night and when they started to tell me what she had give to them as I was pale white, chocolates, cakes, ice-creams, a nonsense of sugar that only some grandmothers can understand...

16. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    Sweets are the joy of being young. If your kid has a healthy diet, I don't see the harm in letting them enjoy the surprise sweets they got from birthday parties. If you are this much against it, you can always contact the parents who are throwing the next batches and talk to them about it. Maybe they could for the same amount invest in a little bag of toy surprises -- or if it means this much to you, you can also chip in and then they can make little bags of surprises with lil' cars and other small toys.

17. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, that is a strong and true statement though hellavu, I recall being a kid and I loved sweets, but there are side effects to this, like obesity and problems with the teeth, which I had a lot when I was younger, so we really need to think this over.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Pretty easy to see where everyone's unhealthy ideas of food comes from, isn't it? We're taught from a young age that bad food is fun and for celebrating and making us feel good.. and then we pass it on to our children. It is very unhealthy, but if the child is usually eating healthfully, it shouldn't be a problem for a special occasion. Being able to eat it for months after though, seems a bit much lol!

19. GoldenWing

GoldenWingMember

Threads:
    My mother used to control the amount of sweets we had, by taking them and every morning giving us a small amount, as if it were a daily allowance. I think that system worked pretty well until we got to an age when wed have a big bag of sweets in the fridge without eating all of them in a few days.

20. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    I do believe that it is quite important to understand whether a particular person likes the sweets or not, before gifting them whatever you think about gifting as sweets. A lot of people have certain favourite while eating sweets. Hence you must keep their personal favourite in mind while choosing.