Sweets as gifts

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • Oct 3, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also think that it is the rebellion aspect, or the don't push the red button whatever you do aspect? Especially when it comes to children. They are so curious about the world. If you tell them that they cannot have sweets, they are most likely going to want to try them, and then when they do have them, they are seen as a novelty, as well as the sugar addiction working its magic lol.

2. Juno

JunoActive Member

Threads:
    I agree that when they start attending parties every week and fill up on sugar, that is plenty. You don't want to send them home with candy and sweet treats that they can munch on for a whole week until the next party, because parents are hesitant to control what is given to a child as a gift. Never the less, as a parent, I would take the bag from the child and let them know that they could have one every time they accomplished something you need them to do. Use it as a reward system if you have to. However, this still is not the best option. I think it would be best to fill those birthday goody bags with little trinkets and toys rather than all candy.

3. oldwriter

oldwriterMember

Threads:
    Sweets as gifts? Not a good idea. Unless you are the one who dispenses them, it should be a big no-no for any responsible parent. Regardless of it being due to birthday parties or not, a child who gets too many sweets can get in trouble. If don't want your kids to get sick, avoid letting them eat sweets in a high quantity. If you just can't avoid them receiving the sweets, then you need to confiscate them so you can be in charge of how much they ultimate get at a time.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on how you do it. I don't expect anyone to be a purist.. least of all, children lol. If children grew up on crap especially.. you can't just suddenly say "never again" and expect it to go over well lol. You'd also be pretty naive to think they'll never touch it if they grew up without it.. they'll find a way. I'm not a crap nazi lol.. I never say never, my children were equipped with the tools to make wise decisions and because of my trust in them, they of course eat sweets on occasion, but because it's accessible and nobody is telling them "NEVER" they don't devour it every chance they get. They rarely eat candy et al and I won't stop them if that's their choice. Their bodies, not mine.. they know what a poor diet will do (it's me we're talking about.. like they don't know haha). But, they were raised this way. Someone who wasn't, it would be a much harder road. In the end, I just think people should stop making horrible foods "fun" and "comforting".. it's just a terrible message we hold on to it for dear life lol.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I grew up poor and was once harshly physically punished by my mother for eating a candy bar.
    She made me spit it out by punching me in the stomach. I was in elementary school.
    As a result of my childhood, I'm very relaxed and generous with sweets and love to bake brownies for my daughter.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree. You make some very good points. My sister has instilled that good healthy foods are the comforting fun foods in her children, and then when they come to out house, and see my mother's kids eating all kinds of junk then they go home asking for the same. Just not as much. But they still understand the benefits of eating good healthy food. I like such a balance.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yup, me too :) We all need balance. some days I eat more "sweets" than anything else. I mean, my idea of sweets has changed dramatically lol, so I'm not too worried about it, but still.. the mind wants what the mind wants. Children want what children can't have or what others have that they don't.. make it accessible. Don't be a crap nazi lol.

8. DonnaIReilly

DonnaIReillyActive Member

Threads:
    Sweets should be a part of a child's life. What's a party without sweets. You need sweets for fun! I think as long as you aren't giving your child sweets every single day then its fine. Sweets should be treated like a treat. If you do that then your child understands that they aren't a big part of their diet.