Talk Like A Baby

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Gelsemium • Feb 2, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My younger kid is 5 years old he speaks pretty well. Just some two months ago he was somewhat sick and I think we spoiled him because he now talks often like a baby, even if he can speak correctly... Any ideas to get him to talk normal again?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are many reasons for this.. I don't believe loving and caring for a child is ever spoiling them, but he may have gotten something out of it he enjoyed and he wants more of it. When something changes in a child, it's up to us to look within ourselves or other events/people in their environment. Figure out what happened, give them what they're looking for. Maybe he enjoyed the extra bonding? That's not being spoiled.. that's loving your family a whole lot :)

PS: it passes. My oldest did it for a while because kids in his class were, and he just got used to it. After it passed (like everything does, so don't worry too much about it), it snuck back in whenever he was nervous. Kids deal with things in ways that make sense to only them sometimes ;) They're only this little ones..

3. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I have no idea why adults ever talk to their babies like they'd themselves be babies. I get the cooing sounds and I get speaking softly, but speaking like idiots is only making parents look silly, and probably halting the language development of their child.

I have no idea why spoiling a kid would make him speak like a baby, but just keep talking to him normally and maybe ask him simply why he does it. Kids don't overthink things, he might just tell you his reasons and you can see from there.

4. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, I know it's a phase and that it will go away lol, but at the same time it's annoying because he can speak really well, I know it, and he now speaks like a three year old. I guess that in some months when I come back here I will laugh... :)

5. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You will.. in retrospect, there is so much I wish I hadn't taken so seriously. They were so tiny and vulnerable and new to absolutely everything and they do things to help navigate this weird place they've been pushed into lol. Now my boys are big and scary haha.. I miss the little boy snuggles and the constant affection and yes, even the baby talk.. I'm totally going to remind my oldest of this now lol, I forgot until your post.

Either way, there is a reason for it. If it's for attention, just ask yourself why and go from there..

6. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, he is asking for attention for sure, but I can't give it to him all the time! My older is at an annoying stage as well, he can't stand still and the teachers complain from in written, I think teachers over do it really these days.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Don't even get me started on that!! lol. School is the worst place for small children (no offence.. I know most people don't have much of a choice). They have to sit most of the day when they just want to run and play and socialize. Of course they're going to get fidgety and lose interest or focus. It's just a very unfair place to be and then they top it off with shaming them for it and making the parents feel bad. There is nothing at all wrong with being kids.. but we live in societies that want to put an end to childhood it seems. Younger and younger, even our children are losing their freedoms.

It doesn't take too much time for extra hugs and letting them know how much they mean to you ;) Not that you don't.. just saying, every little thing means the whole world to a child.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    lol, school is the worst place for small children? :D I have a hard time disagreeing with that, they are kids after all and they enter there way too early. Playing is as important or more than learning... Yes, I am always hugging my kids, while they still allow me. :)

9. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest that you talk to him the way you normally talk. As for me, I don't like practicing adjusting my kind of talking just to reach for someone younger than I am. It's not because I'm not sweet, but rather I'm just concern they might grow up with that character or behaviour.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yes, I have some fault here too because as I like him a lot, sometimes as a joke I talk a little like a baby too lol, so I need to correct that, I know that the example is the best way to correct them, so maybe he's just imitating me.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hehe that's true, he may just be following your example and maybe if you just revert back to the way you usually speak to him, it will work?

12. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Nah, that's the whole point of it, he has already incarnated some part lol and he just plays it has he wish, so sometimes he talks like a baby and other times he doesn't, it's pretty random...

13. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    maybe it was his way to get some more tender loving care from you guys... considering that he is sick. Wait until he gets well and see if he does that again.. if so, I suggest you bring him to speech therapist immediately. His sickness could have made him talk like that.. just maybe... but I hope not.

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A speech therapist would "find" a reason. This is a VERY common thing. Either it's something "spreading" through their class or they're looking for more attention for one reason or another. Gelsemium, if it's something that's bothering you, maybe talk to his teacher and see if it's happening there with other kids, or maybe something is going on there with him that you don't know about? Just a thought.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Aww poor little lamb! I do hope it corrects itself soon and that there's not much to it :)

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Yep, I think it's just another phase, but at the same time this phases are so intense that I wonder if parents suffer more than kids or not. Either cases, I am asking the pediatrician today because we have a consultation.

17. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    The problem is you as a parent, because apparently the child "learned" that it was useful to act childish to get things from you, the parent. Stop acquiescing to the child's way by using reverse psychological methods, for example: "Hey you know what, kids who act like a child can never be the best they can be in life," or,"You know what's fun, reading a book, because even rich people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffet wish they had the super-power to read books super fast!" Or teach them that it's even more fun to do chores and work, instead of acting like a child.

I've seen my siblings spoil their kids all the time and it annoys me when they don't understand why their kids are lazy, childish, and uncontrollable... it's the way you nurture a child that needs improvement, meaning you have to adjust your way of thinking and doing before expecting a change from your children - you are the adult, act like one!

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes because children should know they aren't allowed to act like children these days. God forbid! And god forbid we show our children all the love in the world. It's called respect.. give it and you'll get it. You will not "SPOIL" a child by loving the crap out of it, are you kidding me???

These years are so fleeting and they DO pass! None of this will be remembered by them and I promise, they will not grow up talking like babies or suffer any consequences from it. Unless there is something truly going on and we as parents are looking more at how WE feel than whatever is bothering the child.. because you know, they're just being spoiled wanting some attention and all. Some of the parenting these days.. seriously.

Sorry.. my positivity wall just got chipped lol.. deeeeeeep breath. And I'm off! :p

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    :D

Yeah, everything passes way faster than we desire many times, the issue is that many times we worry too much because dealing with kids is something intense, both for us and the kids of course... :)

20. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry, Gelsemium.. I hope you don't think that was directed at you. I have a very soft spot for children and the unfairness most of them go through and it drives me nuts when people essentially tell another parent to man up and take the remaining remnants of their childhood away from them, because anything else is weak and spoiling them. I'm just so thankful I grew up with parents like that.. it made me appreciate every last detail of my children's upbringing and not one of the "issues" was forever. In fact, I don't know one adult that talks like a baby in every day conversation lol.. or any who suck their thumbs, or wet their beds, or cry when they're hungry or have to go to the bathroom. But I do know more parents than I can count who wish they could go back and change their focus.

Did you get any answers yet? Hopefully nothing is bothering the poor little guy...