The right time to start buying toys for a kid

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by nhsososo4 • Nov 24, 2013.

1. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    I am currently a new mom, with a month and a half old baby. I keep getting toys from friend as part of gifts when they come to see the baby. The issue I have my kid does not even recognise these toys, let alone know what to do with them. This really makes me wonder is it really necessary to get toys for such a young baby who is not even a toddler as yet.

This question is asked as we are around Christmas time and everyone is in a giving and generous mode at present, thus meaning my baby will be getting a lot of presents (toys). Therefore I want to know, when do kids really start recognising or even start playing with their toys and should that not be the age or time to buy them the stuff?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now things like clothes and maybe rattles would be good for the baby a month old is pretty young still so there isn't much the baby can play with you can get rattles but really that's the only toy I wouldn't get to many toys. They start really playing with toys around 4-5 months old and even than it's little things.

3. dejongkimberlee

dejongkimberleeNew Member

Threads:
    I would say my kids didn't recognize toys until at least 8 months. Sure they did play with some before that but never really knew what they were. I would say for christmas this year with your baby only being a month and a half to ask for clothes and bottles. Your child is too young to be getting loads of toys for the holidays! Clothes and other supplies would be a more appropriate present.

4. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the toys. It's a nice gesture and recognized or not, the different colours, textures and characters are great for the brain.

5. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    It really is hard to say as it depends on both the child and what sort of toy it is. Don't try and "force" the toys on your child if he/she just shows no interest in them.

6. thelovelyone0

thelovelyone0Banned

Threads:
    I'm not a mom but I do have a 5 month old niece and her mom was going through the same thing. People would buy her toys when he/she was first born and I think it is absolutely absurd. Around that time, you and others should focus on buying things that she needs such as food, clothes, diapers, etc. I think the perfect age to start buying toys is around 5 months. My niece just started being interested in things. She is always grabbing my hair, she reaches for food, toys, etc. So, that's when you should start buying toys. It's too soo right now.

7. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    It is good to have toys like rattles and teething rings around at your child's current age, but an abundance of toys is truly unnecessary and can be a waste of money and space (if that is restricted in your living arrangements). There are some great things for small babies, like swings or exercisers, that you or your family members may want to consider for Christmas gifts, if you don't already have them. If you do or you are not interested in the items, be forward with people about presents by explaining what items you would find useful or helpful. I think one of the best presents for a baby that small on Christmas would be diapers, because its a gift for the child that also dramatically helps the parents.