Their own room

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Strykstar • Sep 2, 2014.

1. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    At what age do you feel that children *need* their own room?
    They can be very comfortable in the parents' bedroom when they're first born, but quickly grow out of it.
    In cases where the family needs to change houses in order to get an extra room, what age do you think is the limit to do this? 1 year-old?

2. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    My eldest son got his own room when he started school at age 5. He moves a lot during his sleep so we gave him a bed with side rails at first. We removed them as he grew older. Now he shares this room with his brother who is 2 years yonger than him.

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well my Mom and Dad gave me my own room (or so they told me) when I was 3 years old. I think either 5 is good. If they reach the age where they are really moving a lot while they sleep then it's the best time to let them have their own room.

4. kitchencatlover

kitchencatloverMember

Threads:
    I think around 2 or 3 honestly. My baby has a crib in our bedroom and all of her toys and stuff are in the living room. She is comfortable in our room and I honestly don't think she's old enough to be alone by herself in a separate bedroom. I know I'm not ready lol.

5. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    It sounds like you're talking about needing a second bedroom for the child to move into. My son slept in his own room from a very young (a few months), my daughter had a crib in our room and co-slept until around 2 years old. I suppose it depends on the family sleeping arrangements, how much space you have, and what you can afford. I think that the kids moving into another room is often more about parents needing their own space rather than the child, until they are much older. I know if I told my two that they were going to sleep in our room they would be ecstatic. They share a room and often end up in bed with each other. Currently there isn't another room in the house that could be used as a bedroom, so we have to remodel before they are teenagers, but for the minute they are fine sharing a room. If you will have to move at some point in order for your child to have their own room, doing it when they are younger will mean they are less attached to the home and may transition better than moving during the preschool phase when change and transitions can be difficult for young children.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The best age for a child to be moved to their own room will vary from child to child. The older a child gets and learns to be afraid of being alone at night, the harder it will be to get him/her to sleep in a room alone.

So it's best to have a child sleep in their own room from the time the baby doesn't need the mother's milk or feeding at night. 2 years would be the appropriate age.