Toaster Over Vs Toaster

Discussion in Home & Garden started by purplepen88 • Feb 17, 2016.

1. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    So we just remodelled our kitchen and I can't decide if I want another toaster oven or just go with a toaster. I know toaster would take up less room on my counter but I like the convenience of not having to turn on the oven if I want to bake few chicken fingers for my son's lunch. In terms of cost, I've noticed that toaster ovens can get quite expensive now. What do you like?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, to be honest, I use both. I mean nothing can beat the simplicity of using a toaster to make toast, but I like a toaster oven to make garlic bread, appetizers and small things I don't want to heat the oven up for. I got a great deal around the holidays for my toaster oven at Macy's it was on sale, and there was also a rebate involved.

3. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I use a toaster personally and think you can't really go wrong with a simple toaster. I also happened to get mine in a sale which makes it even better as it means I didn't have to spend so much. I can totally see why you'd want a toaster oven instead though, especially if you use it often to make other meals too. If I was in your shoes I'd be asking myself how often I'd use the toaster oven, as opposed to how often I'd use a plain toaster. If the toaster would be used 9 times out of 10 I'd go for the toaster. If it's more 50/50 though I'd probably go for the toaster oven.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would go for a toaster oven as it's more versatile. I find that they are getting cheaper, but it depends on what you want to spend. I do love using a toaster, but you can't toast all kinds of bread and some thicker slices get stuck. It does depend on what you cook and which you would use more. I like a toaster oven to reheat pizza, and to grill snacks, and it good to bake a few fries too when you want a portion.

5. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I have both a toaster oven and a toaster - for the simple reason that - much as I love my toaster oven - as its quicker and uses way less energy than a conventional oven - its absolutely useless when it comes to making toast.

In fact as I've had quite a few toaster ovens over the past 15 years and haven't as yet found a model that can actually do both the things they are designed to do - meaning they either make very good toast but don't cook as well as a conventional oven or they cook as well if not better than a conventional oven but are total garbage when it comes to making toast - I would say that unless you want both a toaster and a toaster oven - its probably way better to choose the one that will be used the most.

6. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have both as well, but if I really had to only choose one, I would probably go with a small toaster oven. I say small, because the larger size toaster oven's don't really "toast" bread, but rather just dry it out - not to mention it takes longer than a traditional toaster. Smaller toaster ovens solve this somewhat since the bread is closer to the heating elements.

I used to have a larger size toaster oven, which was big enough to bake a 14" pizza - and I liked that too, but while it was great for baking stuff, it wasn't so great for broiling or toasting stuff due to it's size.

Keep in mind toaster oven's are also really practical for toasting types of bread which might not fit into a regular toaster, as well as stuff like garlic bread, or even melting cheese over some french onion soup, or roasting peppers.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have both in my kitchen because I need both in my kitchen. I watch for sales and get what I need on sale only. Amazon got some amazing prices, but their free shipping amount has increased to $49 for free shipping. Locally we got Kmart, Macy's, CVS and Walmart for very economical prices on both toaster ovens. We are doing without a microwave oven that finally broke on us, so we need both for convenience of popping a frozen waffle in our toaster while baking french fries at the same time in our toaster oven. I find it necessary to have both now since we don't have our microwave any longer. Can't pop our microwave popcorn either now days without our microwave oven. :(

8. sunnyside

sunnysideActive Member

Threads:
    A toaster oven is definitely more versatile, in my opinion. We have a toaster oven right now, but no toaster. I think the toaster oven toasts bread pretty okay. All I have to do is to make sure I turn it to the right temperature setting and set the timer correctly, otherwise the bread may either get too hard, or on the other hand, not be properly toasted. I think I have that part fairly well figured out now. I have never baked anything in the toaster oven, however. I would use it mostly for warming up or defrosting food.

9. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I really like my toaster oven because it is faster to heat up things instead of having to wait for my oven to pre-heat. I also like a standard toaster, but it can only do one thing. I vote toaster oven because you can use it to cook much more.

10. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Well, we have a toaster oven but we don't have a toaster. Here in my country, toasters aren't that popular. But toaster ovens are pretty much in every family's house. And to be honest, I've never even used toasters but I find them quite intriguing. I've only seen them in movies and television series actually. I've never tried using them and actually seeing the bread popping up. Is that weird? Lol.

Anyway, since we have survived without a toaster, it's safe to say that the toaster oven is good enough for us. We just heat our bread in it, not really toast it. And it does the job well, at least for me. If we do need other things heated, sometimes even leftover chicken or fish, that's what we use as well. One time, my mother used it to bake mussels as well and it was delicious, it was topped with cheese.

If you don't mind bread that isn't toasted that much, then a toaster oven might be good enough for you. You can do a lot of things with it and it's at a pretty cheap price.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use both. My toaster oven can actually bake a cake or pie because it's a large one that goes up to 450 degrees and can fit a 13 inch lasagna pan. I like it because I can bake without heating up the whole apartment. My toaster is for quickly toasting bagels or Pop Tarts.

12. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never actually owned a toaster oven, and had I not seen it at a friend's two years ago, I wouldn't know what you guys were on a bout. Although, to be fair to my friend, hers is in an altogether different league to any other I've seen!! Most people here, including me, have a toaster and as we all know all a toaster is good for is toasting your bread. When I first laid eyes on my friend's toaster oven, I was blown away and still am. I wanted one and still do because of its versatility. But there aren't that many where I live, or at least of the standard that matches my friend's. The few I've come across that are exactly what I want and need are from from cheap. So I guess I'll just have to be patient. I think once I own one, I'll do away with our toaster.

13. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I always thought toaster ovens were a complete waste of money and space until my mom got a pricey one brand new at a yard sale. Shortly thereafter, her oven broke. She literally made lasagna and brownies in this toaster oven. That wasn't even the best part though!! The toaster oven was great for her to cook with in the summer. Her kitchen is super tiny and when you turn the oven on it is unbearable in there. Even with the central air on, it gets so hot that you actually feel as though you are in the oven yourself. However, the toaster oven doesn't heat the kitchen up like that at all. She also uses it on holidays to keep a dish warm while she is preparing another one. Unfortunately, I don't have the space for even the smallest of toaster ovens, as I barely have room for the tiny toaster I have now, but if you have the money and space, I would go with investing in a quality toaster oven.

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Large overs aren't standard here so toaster ovens are actually a lot more popular where I am since it can roast more than just one kind of bread. For me I think I'd definitely just go with that instead of a bread toaster because I'm not even a big fan of bread to begin with, and it can do much more with an oven toaster, especially heavy duty ones. Sometimes I'll leave some sausages in there for a few minutes while I do something else like check my mail or take a bath and by the time I'm done it's a meal ready waiting for me, which I totally can't get from a bread toaster.

15. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I only have one - a toaster. I don't have a toaster oven, because for one we cannot afford one, and we also do not have one because we don't really need one. We have a normal oven, and we are able to make all of the meals that we want with enough ease. I think toaster ovens may be more popular in different areas of the world.

16. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    A toaster oven actually does more than mere bread toasting. I find that I can make toaster oven brownies and cakes using it, as there are now boxes of toaster oven-friendly treats available in the market today. I can make Belgian chocolate chip cookies and butterscotch brownies with it so I think this is a more worthy investment than simply an oven toaster.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, what ever happened to the toaster(haha just kidding) - I remember those though and they bring back some wonderful and nostalgic memories from my childhood. I have been using a toaster oven for a long time-and really do not remember the last time I owned a toaster, but it was nice to use the one at my mothers house though-when I visited her lately- but she has a very modern house setup though. The toaster oven is like a small oven also,so it's fun to cook pizza(full size), chicken and make your own garlic bread as well.

#17Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  18. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think oven toasters are quite cheap nowadays and can do a lot more than just toasting bread, because they have a more spacious room, so I think you should choose an oven toaster rather than a plain toaster.

19. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    Honestly, it really depends on how often you use one over the other or how much you plan to use it. However, I would probably go with the toaster for the time being. It is slightly more cheaper and a bit smaller than an oven. I would try it out for a while and see where it gets you.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I hate my toaster, and I also have some pretty lousy experiences with toaster ovens though too so I think you just have to find one and stick with it. Uneven toast is not a good way to start the day, but I still have yet to replace mine.