toys not lasting?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by alahnna • Mar 6, 2014.

1. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I've been finding more and more that the toys these days are not lasting. Even the name brands that you used to be able to count on like Fisher Price seem to be more flimsy and break easier. Recently, I was sorting out the toys I have stored and I notice that the ones that are holding up best are the ones that are the oldest. I still have a Fisher Price school with the little people and it's in better shape than the Fisher Price garage I bought brand new for my son when he was 2. I know my father still has a farm set he has as a kid and it's still in excellent condition and my mother has one of those aluminum doll houses. It has a bit of a bend in the roof since I stepped on it as a kid (oops!) but it's still in good shape too.

Do you feel teh quality of toys has changed in this day and age?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the people who make toys have got smarter. Why should they make toys that last and make less money when they could make toys that need to be replaced frequently and make more money?

It's not just toys Alahnna, they make everything less durable these days because they've got more rapacious.

3. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I'm going to have to agree with you on that one Denis. My parents still have a television from the 60s in their basement and it still works. Yet the brand new TV my boyfriend bought 6 years ago just bit the bullet and the repair man told us we'd be better off to just buy a new one since it will cost more to fix the old one than to just go out and buy a new one. When I was in the market for a new stove, the sales person told me they generally last about 10 years now before it's time to replace an appliance. 10 years! For something you pay four to five hundred dollars for if not more. That's just disgusting to me.

4. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that is a fact, manufacturers in general are making things that last far more less so that people keep on buying more and toys are not an exception. I still have many of my toys of when I was a kid, but when I look at my kids' toys, they just look like a cheap piece of plastic and in fact they break fairly easily.

5. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    Nothing lasts anymore. My washer and dryer are both starting to go out, drying not heating up and taking twice as long to dry clothes, washer makes a horrible clunking sound. We bought them about 5 years ago. My grandparents have had the same washer and dryer set for at least 25 years or more. Never a problem with it. I so do not want buy another set again so soon. I am so disappointed in the quality of most things anymore.