Travel insurance for the US

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by JulianWilliams • Jan 13, 2015.

1. JulianWilliams

JulianWilliamsMember

Threads:
    We all know the healthcare costs in the US are very high, so I was wondering what sum would the travel insurance need to cover to make you feel comfortable. When I'm traveling in Europe I just get the cheapest option, which costs about 10 euro for a week and covers up to five thousand euro in healthcare costs, but in the US I'm not sure that would cover the cost of a single day in the hospital. So, what sum should you be insured for when traveling to the US? If you have any horror/happy stories about travel insurance in the US feel free to share them here.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Travel insurance coverage varies depending on personal requirements but based on my client's travel insurance offerings, most of their customers prefer a coverage of around $30,000 - this is already inclusive of travel medical insurance and may or may not cover lost luggage or cancelled or delayed trips. $30,000 provides emergency medical assistance such as air ambulance services and attending medical staff.

3. Dino Rex

Dino RexNew Member

Threads:
    I have used travel insurance for most of my life. However, I am now 70 years old and no longer qualify, inclusive in the site where I have contracted most of the insurance. I not only travel for pleasure, I have children and grandchildren in three different countries and, because of jobs and school, the time they have available for traveling is limited and used for their own needs.

I think is unfair that the only way to see my grandchildren is traveling uninsured, and,though the risk factor is higher for seniors, insurers should find a way to offer coverage, even if limited.