Trying so hard to sell them

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by micah13 • Mar 24, 2014.

1. micah13

micah13Member

Threads:
    I remember reading a story on Quora where a girl told her dad after a commercial: They must not be that great if they have to work that hard to convince people to buy them. I was struck by the ironic nature of that comment, but it's true. About 90% of the commercials on TV are for things we don't really need, and they break down so quickly, they're not that great, and they really do have to work hard to get people to buy them.

2. tinyfang

tinyfangMember

Threads:
    This is not necessarily true, though I can see some merit of your post. Sometimes, some goods and services are harder to sell because of the place it's being marketed to. For example it's a lot easier to market and sell anime in Japan and China, than it is in the USA and Canada. So a lot of extra detail and effort is needed to push those things out in certain regions of the world.

3. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    This actually makes sense from some of the thing I have purchased from TV. For some reason i love ordering things I see on TV and they do break down pretty easily. However, there are a few things that are high quality.

4. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think USA and Canada are bad examples because most of the English voice acting for anime dubs is done in studios in Canada and the US has tons of otakus and anime conventions.
    I have other American anime fans blowing up my Facebook feed with cosplay pictures and anime memes. The anime industry has no trouble selling to Americans at all.

The reason commercials push so hard is that they are selling things that people don't need, like a pan that cooks bacon in the shape of a bowl or pajamas with animal ears and tails.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For new products I think for the public to accept them takes time. That's where commercials come in. Their purpose is to try every possible angle to make the person who see the commercial want to at least try the product. Because they push hard, they get results.

6. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that's too ironic of a statement, because we already knew that about commercials. Everyone know commercials have on purpose only - to make a profit. If you don't already own it or know about it, you probably don't need it. I don't think that there is a lot of merit in saying "it must not be that great if they're working so hard to sell it," because they honestly are NOT working that hard. People buy anything and everything.

7. McGuire

McGuireNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with the second poster.

A lot of times these can be great products but people just arent convinced.

Whether that be because of where its being sold, the price, or if its hard to demonstrate how good the product is or how it actually works.

BUT, i do agree that some products are just lame and they try WAY too hard to push them and sell them!

8. amynichole318

amynichole318Active Member

Threads:
    I can defientely see there being some merit in that thought. However, every business has a goal to sell a service, a product or themselves. Even when you are applying for a job, in a sense, during the interview you are selling yourself. I think new ideas and new products need to be advertised more than others to make a name for themselves, to show the world what they have made. Advertising is a art form, unfortunately, some also like to add a little lie or exaggeration here and there. Consumers have a huge selection of products to choose from, so why not try to make yours stand out from the crowd.

9. dorann

dorannMember

Threads:
    I think that the reason that they try so hard to sell those things that we see on television is because of the fact that we aren't able to put our hands on things and use them. Therefore, they showcase the "great" things that the product can do while ignoring those shortcomings that the products have.

10. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Of course people will not like the product at first but after a few more days of advertising, they will start to think about getting it. That is how the human mind works. It needs to be reminded frequently before it readily accepts the product. That is just marketing.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate when they start pulling supposed "benefits" of their product out of their behinds. Some of their justifications are ridiculous and really stretching it. Would I really want to use a glorified blender (Ninja) to make pizza dough? Just because it *can* do something, doesn't mean it does it well or if it's even practical to use it for that. They also keep calling it a "juicer", when again, it's just a blender.

Also, it seems like the people coming up with these products are getting carried away with the "campiness" of their products. Granted, some of them are unintentionally funny, but with others it's like they are trying too hard to make them "funny". I cringed every time I heard the "Hot Booties" commercial, for example.

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    It seems like these infomercials are always trying to outdo each other by coming up with better products. And then in a year or so, they come up with even a better product, or so they say. That's what bothers me the most about these companies. The gadget I've already spent my hard earned money on quickly becomes replaced with a better version of the same product. Why didn't they come up with that new and improved one in the first place? I really don't want to have to spend more money on these things, but if I can really see that the improved product is better, it makes me bored with the old one, knowing there's a better one out there.

#12Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the price of the item that you're buying and where it was made. China is known for making items of low quality, so if it's too cheap, then it's a red flag already. You always get what you pay for. It also depends on what kind of item it is. Most of the time, those home tv shopping products aren't really considered to be one of our basic needs, so they don't sell that fast.