Updating Gadget: A Waste Of Money?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by luri • Oct 16, 2017.

1. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    How often do you update your gadget? I don't update my gadget until it is beyond use. For example, I bought a new laptop after using my previous laptop for 9 years. I had to buy a new laptop because my old laptop wa sbeyond repair. I am using my phone since three years, I bought this phone when my last phone was too expensive to repair.

2. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    I usually max out whatever benefits I can get from a gadget. I don't get swayed by new models of cell phones. My current cellphone is a touch screen model with Android Jelly Bean OS which I bought more than three years ago and though it's a local brand, it's quite reliable. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3+ had seen better days but it's still quite useful and I have no plans of buying another table to replace it. As for my laptop, it's still going great except for its broken LCD which I have decided not to replace as replacing it would cost half the price of a brand new laptop of the same model. I have plans of buying a new one next year, something with higher specs for memory and graphics as what I currently have right now is only good for word processing, internet usage, and some very light gaming. I still intend to use it, though, for simple online tasks.

3. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    There is the phrase "if it ain't broke don't fix it". However, there are times when I do a bit of updating for benefits. My old android phone for example, I had it for years and over the time it started to burn its battery quicker and just turned off on its own every now and again. Updating is good if your gadget doesn't meet good enough expectations and is slow or runs energy too quickly. Other than that and updating windows, I really don't update my gadgets too often. I only spend money on them when necessary.

4. Heatman

HeatmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, personally to me as long as the gadget still serves my very need satisfactorily, I really don't have good reason to update it. It's only in the cases of total flops and breakdown in the midst of work and with the frustration it would be dishing out to me because of several faults that would prompt my replacing it or updating it. Doing anything before this situation is a complete waste of money to me.

5. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    I assume that you're using the smartphone. If your region has upgraded to 4G or 5G. Then it's reasonable to upgrade to the technology. And you should consider having those smartphones for the upgrade. If you are still using 2G phones in 2017. That may only waste your money. And for this reason upgrade is required. I think there are some of the people who have gadgets in their mind can think of it the right way for when to upgrade.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    It depends on what the cirumstances are for me, and there are times when it has been called for. Ia m certainly not one of those people who does it for every upgrade though, as that seems redundant.

7. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't replace a PC until it's parts or the whole motherboard is totally not usable anymore. As for cellphones, I don't really "replace" them, but I tend to buy old 2nd hand models so that I will have an upgraded OS. I usually get them for $50 or less. Updating your gadgets when it's newly released and the price is at it's highest is truly a waste of money.

#7Oct 22, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  8. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    At first sight, this can be considered as a waste of money, but I think it depends a lot on your need in making use of the gadget. It's a personal choice because what may be helpful to others may not be helpful to you.

9. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    I somehow agree with you the updating gadgets can "sometimes" be a waste of money. Most of the time new versions of phones have almost similar features from its predecessor. I only buy new gadgets when it has a huge leap on technology from the one I am currently using. If buying the new gadget can save me more time doing work like a new laptop then I am definitely buying that one. Usually I also wait for like 2 to 4 versions to pass before I upgrade so that I can see and feel the difference between the old and the new device.

10. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    I had to agree with you my friend as I always think frequent upgradation of gadgets is a waste of money unless you are in the field of music or video making as you will be needing some high tech gadgets to record things. Otherwise, it is an unnecessary expenditure and you can use that money elsewhere wisely or save the money for your future. :)

11. juan dela cruz

juan dela cruzMember

Threads:
    I think if you are in the field of music and video you also do not need to upgrade very much often. All you have to do is to invest on higher end products one time. After that you could still use those items for some like 5 or more years. Those items can still produce decent video and audio quality even if it is still outdated. I am a content creator in Youtube and I am using a not so very expensive and not the latest equipment in filming my videos but still, I am being able to produce good quality videos.

12. wallet

walletActive Member

Threads:
    I am not updating my gadgets, especially because I spend too much money for this. I only update a program or windows only if this is really necessary and I cannot use that item anymore.
    I prefer to spend my money for my kid's desires than updating gadgets.

13. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I don't upgrade gadgets as long as I can still use them. Like for example, I had an old phone before even if a lot of people I know are using smartphones. I didn't buy a new phone since I can still use my phone to call or send sms to friends. Once it stopped working, I purchased a phone which I still use until today. Same goes with laptops and desktops. I do not buy a new one unless the one I'm using isn't working anymore.

14. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Seems that most people are seeing through all that and knowing it is just a waste of money. It makes sense for the companies to try and make their money that way though, so I guess it is best to avoid them.

15. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am against the upgrading of gadget because the technology is so rapid in coming out with new models. Our desktop that we bought in 2009 is still running okay despite using Windows XP. The higher version of the operating system wouldn't run well so we are sticking to the old OS. And instead of upgrading the hardware, we just bought a new laptop. That will serve us with software that wouldn't run in the old desktop.

16. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I upgrade when the performance starts to taper off. Because as technology advances so does the software and eventually the software bogs down our gadgets. But to give you an example, my old desktop was 5 years old and it was to the point of being super slow on websites and games. So I upgraded to a new desktop 3 months ago. And my old phone was 3 years old when I upgraded it and it was also getting super slow on apps and the internet. And my tablet is currently a year old right now.