Used Cars vs New Cars

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Denis Hard • Oct 2, 2013.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Is it cheaper in the long run to buy a new car as opposed to buying a used car?

The actual facts may heavily lean towards saving more by buying a used car but think of all the maintenance costs, getting new accessories for the car and frequent visits to the mechanic's to change parts that may need replacement. Adding up what you'd spend till the car can run smoothly without any hitches you'd have spent quite a lot and wasted a lot of time in the process.

Wouldn't it be better to simply buy a new car and dispense with all other expenses?

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    It may depend on the car! If you can find a used car that has been very well taken care of, the long term cost will be less. We actually had a good friend by an old Volvo wagon for $500.00. That thing ran like a champ because the previous owner had taken care of it really well and he had been the original owner. Our friend owned it for several years and never had any problems with it.
    If you think about it, eventually that new car will also need parts and maintenance. A new car will also depreciate instantly and usually needs multiple recommended services done to it in the first five years. The cost of insuring a newer car is usually also more expensive.

3. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    I would say generally it is a better idea to go with a new car in the long run. As a new purchase, they will have fresh warranty, no miles and should keep you set for a long time. However, there are some models of cars that seem to live forever and therefore a used car is always an option.

I would say that a used car is just a bit more of a risk, and unless you have very strong knowledge in the industry, I would go for a new car. If you can afford a new car, that is the better option.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the mileage and the way that the car was used. If the car still has low mileage and has been well taken care of, then it's a good buy. But if the car has undergone numerous repairs due to negligent behavior of the owner, then it's better to purchase a new one even if it is more expensive.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I agree with you that it's better to buy a brand new car as compared to buying a used car, because sometimes a used car may have lots of hidden damages like this car that we bought before, and fixing them cost us more and it exceeded our set auto budget.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd usually opt for a brand new item over a second hand one, even if I had to settle with a lower model or brand because of it. The only way I'd consider otherwise is if the used item was in extremely good condition, or the lower brand/model will have significantly less or absolutely no resale value.

7. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    For me I am a bit specific when buying cars. I don't at anytime prefer going for used products. Especially for cars I would only buy brand new cars. Used cars can have plenty of complexities starting from engine complications, body damages among others. Why should I get a used car and waste over the money i bough the car for in repairs while I can buy a brand car and have a peaceful mind?

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You just don't buy a second hand car without checking it our first. Before committing to making a purchase, you can have an expert you trust look it over for you. If his evaluation of the general condition of the car is good then you go ahead and buy the car.

9. brutal37138

brutal37138Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the car and if you aren't a mechanic, chances are you won't be able to make a sound decision on a used car. I prefer to buy new knowing that it comes with a warranty. I've had two used cars in my life. The first was a cavalier I bought that was 2 years old and had about 60k in miles. I put another 60k on it and performed maintenance as called for by the manufacturer and the transmission was going out when I replaced it with a brand new Kia Spectra. I also bought a used Toyota Celica a few years ago and the engine threw a rod the day after I purchased it. The lot I bought it from refused to fix the problem and the warranty that I purchased through the car lot as refused to pay for the repairs. I signed a contract to pay $7,000 for the Celica and then had to pay another $6,000 to replace the engine. I know I won't be buying used ever again unless its $1,000 or less and I can afford to lose the investment.

10. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I refuse to get another car loan, and I can not afford a new car. My only option is to save up the money I need to outright purchase a used car. I bought my mini van used and I have had it for over ten years and put almost 200 k miles on it. Even if I had the cash to buy new, I still don't know if I would do it. The second it goes off the lot it depreciates. There are tons of slightly used, used cars that are a much cheaper alternative than new. I dunno, I suppose one day I will buy a new car for the novelty of it. Even though I don't think it is practical.

11. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    There are so many factors to this. It'll mainly come down to what car you're purchasing. The one thing with buying brand new is that once you buy it, the minute it's driven out of the show room, you've lost money. You're best bet would be to find someone selling that same car but second hand.

As far as maintenance, every car will need it. You should really get a second hand car inspected prior to purchasing it. A $300 checkup which will look over the ENTIRE car, top to bottom, inside out will save you THOUSANDS in the long run!

Car loans are a big no no in my books. What's the point of it? To show off and be like "Hey! Look at my new Mercedes.". It's silly because it's the banks car, not yours & by the time you pay it off, you'll have paid 50-100% EXTRA of what the car is worth. In turn, you would have overpaid for the car. That's me though. I'm more satisfied with saving up for a car because I enjoy it more rather than worrying about payments.

12. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen a few people in my day make great used car purchases. Sometimes far better than what they should have gotten for the price. However, I have much more often seen people get screwed in used car purchases because of easily remedied issues like not knowing enough about the car or cars in general. If you are going to make a majour purchase (as in car or home) please take a professional with you. Unless you know them you will have to hire them BUT it usually works out in favour of the buyer. You may have wasted the hundred or so you spent on the expert but you avoided wasting the thousands on the product.

13. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    Only buy a new car if you have the money alternatively just get a used car to save on costs. In most cases the car will be in good condition and most of the parts refurbished to look like new. I am a fan of used cars.

14. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As much as I wanted to purchase a new car, I only had enough funds to buy an old 1996 Toyota Corolla GLi. During the first few weeks of owning the car, I spent a lot on repairs which probably reached around $500. Man, that's a bit costly isn't it? But it's still a whole lot cheaper than buying a new car. Also, if you know how to take care of a used car, it won't bog down as often as you'd think. Just make sure that when you buy a second hand car, you get it checked immediately by a mechanic so that you won't run into some unexpected trouble along the way.

15. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never bought a new car because I can't afford one, but I still think that even in the long run it's cheaper to buy a used one. Sometimes it's impressive that just by the fact that a new car leaves the stand it's worth automatically less 3-5 thousand Euros. What's the point in that, it's the same car!

16. alahnna

alahnnaMember

Threads:
    I cannot seem to justify spending the extra money on a new car as opposed to buying a good used one. Where I live, just driving the car off the lot takes about $5000 off the price of the car. You can find great used cars in wonderful shape and low mileage if you do research and keep your eyes open. You can also get a great deal on demo cars from the dealers or cars that were used as a courtesy car while their own car was being fixed. As long as you make sure to check things out and are aware of things to look out for, I personally think buying used is a much better choice than buying brand new.

17. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on how the previous owner has taken care of the car. If the car is in good condition then buying a used car is the option. But sometimes if you have the money just go for a new car rather than a used car. But if you are looking for a classic, then it will not be possible to get it as a new car.