Using Ethanol Gas In Winter Can Make Your Car Hard To Start.

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Happyflowerlady • Oct 21, 2016.

1. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we first got our Ford stationwagon, it ran fine, and then winter cam along. As the weather got colder, it became harder and harder to start the car, and on really cold days, sometimes it would not start all all.
    Somehow, we made it through that first winter, and when spring came the car started up just fine again.
    The next fall, I started researching what might do that, and I read that ethanol gas can make your car hard to start in cold weather. I started using the non-ethanol gas, and the car would start just fine.
    So, all winter long, that is what I used. It cost more than the ethanol gas cost; but it was worth it to have the car starting right up on cold days.
    Now, I put a tank of that in every now and then, summer and winter, and always in the winter; just so it will run better.

2. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That is very true but we have no choice as our government has made it compulsory to mix 10% ethanol in petrol. It was 5% until recently but they have increased it to 10 to adjust sugar industry. I am afraid the cars will be harder to ignite in coming winters since we do not have heater in our cars.

3. thisnthat

thisnthatActive Member

Threads:
    This is good advice. It is also true for things like lawn mowers and weed eaters. They can get all gunked up over the winter, so much so, that they may not even start come summer. We found this out the hard way years ago.

There are also additives you can buy to help with this problem. One is called Sta-Bil (they have more than one formula) and I think another one is called Sea Foam, if I remember correctly. You should be able to find the first one easily, at Walmart or other common stores. I believe the second is sold in auto parts stores.

If non-ethanol gas is hard to find in your area, these additives might prove helpful. It's got to be cheaper than replacing parts or equipment, right?

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone think ethanol would cause one to lose more money in the long run? For instance, it's been noted that ethanol isn't as good on gas. Therefore, paying more for ethanol free, for instance, say paying 2.50 USD a gallon as opposed to 2 dollars a gallon would be the wise move. However, there are other alternative types of gas, one simply being mid-grade and premium which both normally consist of ethanol.