Using The Air Conditioner With The Electric Fan

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Corzhens • May 23, 2016.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our is a tropical country so it is expected that the air conditioner is a necessity particularly for the middle class (and the rich, of course). But those who are conscious of their electric bill, one tv network has come up with a trick. Set the timer of the air conditioner and when it stops operating, turn on the electric fan. The cold air will remain to circulate in the room for at least an hour at night. However, the cold vanishes faster in daytime especially when the sun is hot. But still, a good 15 minutes of turning off the air conditioner will matter in the electric bill.

2. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Last year we bought 4 - 9 inch round metal fans and have placed them strategically around the apartment. We are running them now and have not needed ac yet. We run them simultaniously, as needed, with the ac, also. They keep the apartment a lot cooler by circulating the air. It's an amazing difference. We also put a gable fan up in the crawl space above the ceiling. Oh my, a huge difference! We've done a number of things to decrease our electricity costs. The fans were one very good improvement.

3. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have central AC here but I use it as little as possible because it tends to wreak havoc on the electric bill.What we use is a combination of ceiling fans, and window fans that cool off the room alot. We also have alot of trees and other greenery around that will keep the house cool and shaded much of the time.

4. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At night we run the fans and cut off the air conditioner. Also keeping the curtains closed to block the sun light in the house helps to keep the inside cool. I like to run the air conditioner when the humidity is really high and all you do is sweat. The bills will be very high this summer I am afraid since it has been very rainy here, the report is we are in for a very hot summer. In my area that is 100 degrees or higher.

5. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    At home, we only use the AC during summer when heat levels become unbearable to the point of sucking up all the energy in your body (and this summer is especially hot due to El Niño). However, since there's only 1 AC and it's in my parents' room, my siblings and I usually make do with small industrial fans and electronic fans (with a system similar to that of ACs) to beat the heat. Thankfully, for my part, I'm not home until late afternoon so my 9-10 hours of absence helps us save energy.

6. rosemoon

rosemoonActive Member

Threads:
    We have central air conditioning in my home, but we try not to use it for the sake of saving some money. We only turn it on when it's insufferably hot and always in the evening since that's when most of us are home and we like to sleep comfortably. During the day we make do with fans and cool drinks.

7. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    When it comes to savings mastering the air conditioning system can come up huge in the summertime, and I have really been on both ends of this one. It really is a skill that you pick up through the years, and I can think back to when I first started living on my own in a home and the bills were sky high. You have to know when to use it and how to use it to see the savings, but you should certainly do your research because money is money.

8. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Good suggestion. But I just turn on the Air conditioner after 6 o' clock in order to sleep more comfortable during nights. I'm used to hot weathers ad for that reason I don't turn on my air condicioner during the day. Although I'm thinking that is just better to turn it on during daytime and off duting nights, because is too noisy even when It doesn't bother me anymore when I'm taking a nap.

9. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    I use both a fan and the air conditioner because it helps keep everything cooler. On really hot days it's only cold right next to the air conditioner but since we started using the fan a larger area stays cool.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I do this too. To be completely honest I'd much rather just keep the air conditioning running as long as possible because having it turned off and being supplemented by fans is alright but still not the same, but it's not too bad considering the alternative of having neither and just melting in the heat without an option. I also mostly do this so I don't overwork the air conditioner as well which hopefully will keep it around for longer and will help me save by not having to get a new one.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    With summer temperatures where I live generally hovering around the 48 - 50 degree centigrade plus mark for months on end and nights rarely going much cooler than 30 C - AC is not only a relatively common fixture in most places but very necessary too.

Unfortunately however - as the cost of our electricity is extremely expensive and more importantly - the demand on the power grid during these months can be so great - that the overload can and often does cut the power to the whole of the country - limiting the use of AC has become somewhat of a necessity for everyone and therefore as keeping the house cool and comfortable - but as efficiently and as economically as possible is now something that we do almost without thinking - if wanting to avoid high energy bills - doing the following

Only running AC in the room you use the most
    Using a fan or fans instead of AC whenever possible
    Not running the AC continuously - but turning it off when the room has reached the required temperature
    Blocking sunlight by making sure shutters or blinds are closed throughout the day or at least when the sun is shining directly on doors and windows
    Keeping all doors and windows shut during the hottest part of the day - only opening them when the temperature outside is cooler than inside - to let cool air in
    as well as
    Keeping humidity levels low by using a dehumidifier if necessary - the latter of which can make a considerable difference in terms of energy saving as well as comfort - for the simple reason - that hot moist heat feels way,way hotter than dry heat

will very definitely - without having to suffer too much discomfort - help reduce energy costs and by quite a significant amount too.

12. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    I have been able to keep my electric bill fairly steady with no big spikes in the winter or the summer. Like most of you, if it is cool enough I do not turn on the AC at night and use ceiling fans. During the day, I also try to use natural sunlight and do not turn on the lights.

I am currently looking into purchasing 2 window units for my room and my sons room. That way, we can begin to cool only the rooms we occupy. When we are in the kitchen and den, we will turn on the central AC, but when we are in our rooms we will use the window units only.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea when the AC has already cooled down your house. Just get the fan to circulate that cool air in the house. Right now I am in front of my fan wishing I had an air conditioner. I have very small slider windows and so an AC does not fit through them. The only ones that do cost $400. Time to look at portables!

14. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    This is something that I have done and it works wonderfully. I ensure the cool air will not easily escape, let the air conditioner run for a while until the space is well cooled then I turn off the air conditioner and let the fan take over. The fan now blowing the cool air it's as if the air conditioner was still in operation.

15. GraceMarie

GraceMarieNew Member

Threads:
    OP, this is a great tip if you want to save some dough during the hot months. It does make a big difference and your AC doesn't really need to be on 24/7.

16. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    What we do usually are turning on both air conditioner and electricity fan together at first, but lower the temperature of the air conditioner to 27 or 28 degree celcius. This way, we can save more electricity. If possible, we turn off the air conditioner after an hour or so, and let the fan do the job. Nowadays, we try not to turn on air conditioner. If we feel hot, we just go and take a shower. I think this helps us to save more electricity, and it's better for our health too.

17. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    My parents uses a solar panel for their air conditioner. It saved them $150.00 worth of electric bills every month.

My aunt don't have solar panels so to save money. She turns off the ac around 4:00 am. The room will remain cool up to 7 am which is a time for everyone to wake up.