Using The Internet When On Vacation

Discussion in Misc & Others started by littlewitch66 • Jul 28, 2017.

1. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I am going on vacation today where there will be limited internet. There will be hotspots but I'm going to try and take a complete break while I'm away and get out there and do things in the real world. I will probably save on my internet bill too!

I can't believe how much I've come to depend on social media over the last 10 years and I'm pertty sure I'm going to miss it. How do you feel when you are away from home and can't check all your online accounts?

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    I'm the kind of person that when decide to travel, I almost "forget" that the internet exists. For me, it's something I use only when I have some kind of location-related difficulty.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    It used to be a lot easier to not miss the internet when I am on vacation or away from home, but since I work online and am used to being on the internet every day I do miss it. I just focus on my children and the things that we are going to do. I might get online when we are winding down for the day in the hotel but not for any length of time like I do at home. Have a great vacation!!!!

4. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    The only occasion I've been without internet and cellphone signal was during a company team building two years ago. The venue was a beach resort in the countryside with a very low signal. The place itself made me feel detached from the world but the fact that I can't use the cellphone and the internet made me feel even more so. I felt that everything just slowed down for all of us. It gave us all the time to enjoy the place which was a marine sanctuary. It was very relaxing but not totally because I kept thinking about my son who was left in the house with the nanny and my nephew.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a traveler and I just depend on the free wifi when I go abroad. That's why I choose a hotel with free wifi so I can use the internet at night before bedtime. My sim card has a roaming feature but I never use it. Roaming is very expensive. I am content in communicating via messenger with the help of free wifi

6. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    If the vacation is only for a day or two then I will be fine. But if it is an entire week or more then I need to bring my internet as sad as it sounds. I really don't like being away from the web or too long since I have a lot of work online to get done, as well as emails and what not to check nearly everyday.

7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't be able to unplug from the internet even on vacation. I'd go where there are free wifi too for it's fun to be online to me, so I'll always be online. I like to have access for online things to be safe too for you can always get in touch with someone if you need to. I always can find an Embassy or some sort of government site to get help if I needed it with wifi.

8. nangk08

nangk08Active Member

Threads:
    It is always nice to take a little break from the internet occasionally. I too hardly ever use internet while traveling, just through my mobile data plan but only very sparingly. I am a little distrustful of public free wifi and so never use them, but rely only on my mobile internet plan. I like to take a break completely while on a travel. It helps sometimes to be disconnected for a change.

9. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm okay with this because I lived somewhere for a few months with limited internet and cellphone reception. It has helped me not be dependent on social media and I can switch off and not check for days. In a work situation I would check maybe twice a day, first thing in the morning and then in the evening to deal with anything urgent. People these days expect you to be online and that's wrong, because it's a choice, but an addictive one that some people assume is normal.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    I would try to get away from the internet for awhile and have some fun-but I usually just use the local library a little bit,and never have any trouble when I am traveling. They do make a more secure internet though by using a VPN(virtual private network)and I think they have some free apps out there you can use to access them.

11. littlewitch66

Threads:
    Well I'm back and although I took my laptop I can honestly say I abandoned all my online activities and didn't post at all. It's nice to come back after a break to see what's been happening. Maybe I should do as @Theo@Theo does and take a complete break from time to time.

12. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm glad you had a break @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 and when you are on holiday you should switch off all technology. There's nothing worse than being with someone who is on their phone all of the time, except in an emergency situation. You should be careful though because public wi-fi spots can get hacked, so I only ever browse on public networks and never do things like banking unless there is no choice.

13. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I use the internet virtually everywhere I go if I were to have a vacation to a place where I will be having limited access to the internet that would make my stay a lot uninteresting. I may change a destination for a vacation if internet access will be a problem. For those of us working at our free time using the internet this kind of experience will be tough and slow down on work performance.

14. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    @littlewitch66@littlewitch66 I say you have taken a good decision of staying away from internet for sometime which in my views is "Net detoxification" :) You know I am on post paid services for both my broadband and mobile so I do not save anything but my focus on real world whenever I am out vacation although that is very rare. I really enjoy distance from gadgets as long as I am out in the lap of Mother Nature so I can feel your pleasure, all the best

15. naruto100

naruto100Active Member

Threads:
    When I am out somewhere for holiday then I hardly check all my accounts online. I do it, but not much compare to normal days. Even though I am having active internet on my phone, I just avoid it. And it should be like that too. We go to holiday for relaxing purpose, so we just used to enjoy the holidays than these normal activities which we do at home or office. It is different thing if something is urgent at that time.

16. littlewitch66

Threads:
    Well I was very good and apart from checking my phone to see if anyone had called me I stayed away from the internet and I must say I found plenty of other things to do. I didn't even use as much of my mobile data as I do at home.

It's actually quite refreshing to come back after a break and see what has been happening while I was gone and there's plenty to catch up on :)

17. Merissa

MerissaNew Member

Threads:
    I think its a good idea that you are trying to explore your surroundings without the use of being on the internet, because the internet can be addicting and it can be a distraction. While using it you may miss out some opportunities and may not pay as much attention to some interesting things or details when you have it. This may also double what you experience because of that fact, maybe even meet some new people where you are vacationing at. When I take a break from it, I feel that I interact more with people, and I notice things that I may not have noticed before, sometimes I even have more fun without the burdens of always having to check notifications all the time. Enjoy your vacation!!!

18. kenzhoui25

kenzhoui25New Member

Threads:
    I usually go to my hometown when I'm on a holiday break and I like how it's always fulfilling and thrilling. My hometown is far from the city and it takes 12 hours by boat and land. We live in an island where there is limited internet so I can't access emails and social media sites when I go there. It's hard to adapt at first, but I get used it. What I always do to kill time is talk to different people and listen to their stories, explore different attractions and places, and sleep. If you like, you can try doing these activities also.

19. Pravish

PravishMember

Threads:
    My idea of a vacation is to relax and unwind. I prefer to go to locations where I am not connected to the outside world by phone or internet. On the other hand using the internet on your phone or a Wifi router during international travel may incur high cost by your cell phone carrier. I personally feel that going on a vacation and staying disconnected from social media and internet, is a process of Social media dependency rehab. Be yourself, enjoy what is around and be merry.

20. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I try to limit myself, but it does depend on the circumstances. I am lucky to where my work can be put on hold, but that has not always been the case and that changes quite a bit.