Vacuum Cleaners?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by ABC123 • Apr 13, 2015.

1. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    As a kid I despised vacuuming. My mom would vacuum on her hands and knees using the hose. In my room it would take an hour to clean the carpet. I was the art and sewing child. Then when I moved out, I needed a vacuum. I saw the upright ones on television and never understood why my mom stuck with her ancient vacuum. I knew I wanted an upright. As a Christmas gift I asked for it and got Hoover. It was less noise and much easier on the body to use. Then my husband had a Dirt Devil. So when we moved in together we had vacuums. Made life easy. One on the top floor one on the bottom. The heavy Dirt Devil had finally failed us two years ago. We visited Sears to try the Dyson brand and were shocked at how cheap the plastic seemed to be. I just could comprehend spending in the hundreds for a vacuum. Now we have a wind tunnel brand. Using it today made me reflect on the Dyson. Our vacuum just doesn't seem to be doing enough. Hoping others will share their experiences with vacuum cleaners to help make a better purchase in the future.

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I haven't had a vacuum cleaner in years. I have lived in many different houses over the years, but I always chose a place without wall-to-wall carpets. I like wooden or tiled floors, as they are easy to take care of, and you don't need a vacuum cleaner. I think if I needed to acquire a hoover for some reason, I would buy a small and economical one.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Dyson is the best but are very expensive. There are similar brands like this but it depends on how big your house is. I would go for something with strong suction power and also that is bagless, but is easy to carry. I had an old Dyson and while it was good it was difficult to store. Sometime stores do deals where you can trade in your old one for a Dyson, so maybe look out for an offer like that?

4. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84Member

Threads:
    I totally agree with you on that one, the plastic is so cheap and brittle and the slightest knock to it will definitely break something! Vacuums are supposed to be robust and able to withstand being carried around. I use a hoover I bought from Argos for £25 and it has lasted me for years, I clean out the filter once a week and it has a special pet head for stubborn hairs (from my stubborn cat) Dysons are great, my mum has one and the insides are expensive, but the outside is cheap and nasty.

5. ABC123

ABC123Member

Threads:
    These posts are very helpful. Thank you. Now I understand the cost of the Dyson. It is not the outside but the inside components that add the cost. Functioning parts, which are more important. Yeah my Hoover did out run my husband's Dirt Devil. Now I am wondering about no bag to bag vacuums. What are your views and why?

6. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I have a Shark vacuum because I couldn't afford to buy the Dyson. From what I've heard from other people, the Shark is just as good, if not better than the Dyson. I, personally, love the Shark. It does everything I need it to do and withstands the massive amount of pet hair that seems to invade my house. I use it on both carpet and tile floor. The attachments and the liftaway ability make vacuuming the carpeted stairs much easier too.

7. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hundred dollar and above vacuum cleaners make a world of difference compared to their cheaper counterparts, regardless of the brand. You can get a decent vacuum for maybe $50, but it's not going to even compare to what more expensive vacuums are capable of today.

8. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I've been using the same $60 Hoover for almost 8 years and it still does the trick. I don't have tons of carpet and I keep a hardwood floor dirt devil vacuum to use instead of sweeping. So much quicker...

I want a Dyson, but can't justify the cost right now. I don't know, I do believe there's such a thing as an awesome vacuum. My husband is currently the only allergy sufferer in our house, and I often wonder if our vacuum was better if that would get better too.

9. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I think a quality vacuum cleaner is something you have to invest in, the cheaper ones are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. I'm very surprised that in the 21st century we are aren't more advanced technology wise in this area. Even the more expensive cleaners aren't that impressive, they are still very noisy and temperamental. Most vacuums are still corded which is a big inconvenience.

I did own a Dyson thinking it would be the best thing on the market, but was very disappointed by it's performance and it kept breaking down. I had to get rid of it in the end but others have had better experiences with theirs. I'm waiting for someone to really get hold of this market and bring out something really impressive in line with the modern age.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The majority of my floors are hard and uncarpeted so I can get away with just having a cheap stick vac - similar to the Shark but not quite as good quality. Still, it is very light and easy to move around so it makes quick work of the vacuuming.

11. kana_marie

kana_marieActive Member

Threads:
    I have 5 dogs, so I have a lot of experience with vacuum cleaners lol. What I've discovered is, for my purposes, a new vacuum works just as well regardless of the brand. It's longevity where there is a difference. And when you vacuum up after five dogs everyday, the expensive ones aren't going to last too much longer than the cheap ones. I prefer the bag less, but other than that I go for the cheaper ones.

12. barkingsquirrel

barkingsquirrelMember

Threads:
    I have a Dyson and totally love it! It was my husband's idea to get the Dyson because we had pets at the time, and I didn't want to spend the money. Well, now I have to say, it was worth every penny, and then some. We've had it for 13 years and never had to have it repaired. It works as good as the first time I used it. I got lucky on this product!

13. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    A sales pitch reached our home some 25 years ago. Back then, Rainbow Mate vacuum was $2000. It did us good service up to now. But it's been cumbersome empty the water basin every time. I still recommend Rainbow Mate for its durability and reliability!

Three months ago, my eldest daughter gifted me a really good second hand Miele vacuum. It's been a 'breeze' using this one. No worries about cleaning the vacuum after cleaning with a vacuum. Just replace the dust bag when it's full.

I like things easy that save me time and work load.

14. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    For several years I sold the Rainbow vacuum system. It's a vacuum for people with allergies. It is, in my opinion, the best cleaner that's ever been made, because it uses water, instead of a bag or filter. The problem is the cost, as a new one will run you about $3,000.00! As far as regular vacuums go, my personal favorites are: the shark, the Oreck and a thing called Simplicity. They are all very lightweight, and they clean really well. Personally, I don't like the Dyson at all. They seem unwieldy to me, and they are very heavy.

15. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless you get a good old Shop Vac. The small model is perfect for the home, and I think it still only costs around $30 bucks. You can vacuum nails with the thing or even water. It will darn near suck the carpet off the floor, so you know it's doing a good job.

I switched to a Shop Vac when my kids were little after a misplaced penny, or maybe it was Barbie shoes that time, caused my very expensive new vacuum cleaner to go up in smoke.

It ain't pretty, but it works like a charm.

16. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    That is absolutely true. When I sold Rainbow systems, we learned that the only thing that was comparable in performance was a shop vac. The people we sold to didn't want to use shop vacs to clean their houses, because like you said, "It ain't pretty." LOL

17. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, it's a great value. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars to show off a fancy vacuum (lol), grab a shop vac, and use the rest of the cash to go out to dinner or something. Heck, buy two of them, one for wet and one for dry, and you'll still be better off.

My vacuum doesn't have to pretty. It spends most of its time in a closet or utility room anyway. It just has to work, and that it does. I laugh at those vacuum cleaners that cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars. I'll put a shop vac up against those any day of the week.

18. juliesheldon08

juliesheldon08New Member

Threads:
    I have owned Bissell PowerEdge corded stick vacuum cleaner at home. I used this one, and I recommend it to everyone who wants to buy a

. It is lightweight and comes with the high suction motor. You can clean your dog kibble, sand, flour, etc. I think it is the perfect option for home cleaning task.

19. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Over the years, I have owned a variety of vacuum cleaners, and we now have a Dyson that my daughter gave me when she upgraded to a different one. When I was growing up , my mom had one that was an Electrolux, and it was a long canister vac, but it had a huge amount of suction, although back then, most vacuums did not have a powerhead.
    My favorite one was an unusual brand called "Extractionaire". It was similar to a Rainbow, but shaped like one of those carpet cleaners that you can rent at stores. It could be used to shampoo carpets, and also as a regular water-filtration vacuum cleaner.
    It was heavy to drag around, and they cost over $1000; but I was working for the company, so I got a better deal on a returned one, and could pay for it out of my paycheck.

20. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    @Theo@Theo. My Dyson was the worst one I ever had. It went wrong twice under guarantee and I ended up getting a Henry which I've had for years now. Dyson are expensive but they are supposed to be the best. They used to have a production site close to where I live so everyone in my area had them until they took their business out of the country. I wouldn't get another one.