Valentines Day: A Holiday?

Discussion in Seasonal & Holidays started by hayrake • Jan 7, 2015.

1. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, Valentines Day is indeed just another regular day, and only the couples who would want to spend money on that day celebrate it. If you do have your eye on someone, then it is the perfect time to make an overture to show your interest or to admit your feelings to a special someone. :p

2. shother

shotherMember

Threads:
    I never thought of Valentine's Day as holidays either, and still don't to be honest. Valentine's day for me is a one night thing, for example a nice diner in a fancy restaurant and that's it pretty much.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Like most of the people here, I share the same opinion that Valentine's Day is just like any other day. There's no deep-seated spiritual, cultural or political history behind it. I mean, do you really need a single day in every year to express your love when you can do so everyday of your life? Although I love to have dinner with family and friends during such an occasion, making it a holiday is just over the top and illogical.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I never saw it as a holiday either. Most of the time it’s just another day for me, albeit vastly commercialized. Though it can be a special occasion if I happen to be with someone at the time. It doesn’t really bother me when I’m single though, because hey, it’s an excuse to eat my entire body weight in chocolate. Not that I actually do that…

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I also do not see Valentine's Day as a holiday. I am almost always single when the day comes around, and even if you are not single, then most people still have to work on that day anyway. In my mind, one of the main things to constitute a holiday is not having to work.

6. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    If I were a child again I would have probably said yes to your question because of all the hype we had at school with cards, chocolates and other treats. But, now I would say no. Valentine's day is like any other day and we should show our love to each other every day, why dedicate one day of the year only? Like many others who mentioned, it is a pretty sad day for those who are single and they start to feel depressed.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Up until now I didn't even know that Valentine's Day was regarded as a holiday in some places - but thats probably because its no different than any other day where I live - simply because - unlike many other countries where Valentine's Day is a traditional celebration - here it is not - in fact it didn't even exist until a couple of years ago - when the tourism board thought it a good idea to try and incorporate into the commercial festivity calendar in some of the resort areas - their efforts however haven't proved to be very successful - as its popularity is so low - that you would hardly know it even existed and its very definitely not big business for shops, restaurants or florists.

That said - even when we did live in countries where Valentine's Day was celebrated - it didn't make any difference it was still just a regular day for us - as apart from neither of us being big on the idea of gift giving purely for the sake of it - as every single day is special to us - we've always preferred to show our appreciation of each other by giving unexpected gifts throughout the year - rather than just on a designated day and to be perfectly honestly I much prefer it this way - particularly as its always so much nicer to receive a gift when your are least expecting it.

8. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    Valentin's Day, Saint Patrick's, Best Day Friends, Day of Chocolate, and whatever else supposed holiday is a holiday for those who really like to celebrate the event from the bottom of their hearts, or those days are merely consumerism-planned "holidays."

While there are many established holidays and traditions, each of us have freedom of choice to make our own holidays; if you suddenly decree that today is your doggie's honor day, it will be for you and for those wanting to follow your tradition.

Similarly happens with other celebrations throughout the year but, again, watch out for planned consumerism behind advertising and marketing campaigns promoting such dates. If you want to celebrate Valentin's or any other date, do it, but don't fall for whatever useless thing they want to sell it.

9. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah I guess it is a holiday, but it is certainly one of the more commercial ones and is certainly driven by shopping and sales and gifts than any of the other more traditional holidays that we celebrate. I do admit though, it is nice when you do have that special someone to celebrate a little bit, but then again it is not very nice when you do not have that and you see everyone else rub it in. I guess it all depends on what you like.