Visa Gift Cards

Discussion in Payment Methods started by Zyni • Sep 13, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't have a credit card, do you use Visa gift cards when you need a credit card to make a purchase? Do they work the same way? I would think that it would, since it's Visa, but I'm not sure.

I have a credit card (but I don't like to use them). I also have a bank card that generally works just fine too, wherever you can use Visa. Someone I know does not have either and likes to shop online.

While gift cards might work, I've always heard that they charge a lot in fees to use them. Doesn't that use up the balance quickly? I think it would be more affordable to go ahead and get the bank card instead. Some people don't like them though. I'm not sure what other alternatives there are if they don't want a credit card, bank card, or gift card.

Any suggestions?

2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I looked into this when I lived in the US and you can't use them for many online stores. I doesn't work quite the same as often your address has to be the same as the cardholder, and when there is non registered it won't get accepted.

There are fees as well, depending on which one is used. Pre-paid visa does work a little better, but still costs more. I ended up getting a credit card eventually, but using a debit card was easier.

The gift cards are good for teens and children who can't get cards, and also for those with a bad credit rating, or simply people who don't have a bank account and don't want one.