Wait there's more!

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by JoanMcWench • Dec 12, 2013.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I was wondering: why do you think they always add to the offer with as seen on TV ads or infomercials?

They seem to either double the offer or add something to the initial offer as an incentive. I wonder if it is a need to rid themselves of the abundance of product or maybe they have found that it increases sales by actually selling you two of something for a number you assumed it would cost for one. I cannot find room to complain because it seems to be working for them. It's strategic marketing on their part.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They make it seem that those products are a "bonus" or a "freebie" when you purchase the product, like they emphasize that you're getting a very good deal on all those bonus products for a reasonable price, but in reality, you also paid for those bonus items.

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    The NuWave Induction Burner has come under fire a lot for this recently. They make it sound like you are getting an extra burner, plus all these extra pots and pans for free, then people are finding out the hard way that none of that was free, and the actual price for everything in total is something like over $300. They tack on fake "processing and handling" fees as well as abnormally high "shipping and handling" fees to make up for all of the supposed "free" stuff.

Also, it's probably because they want you to buy more than just one of an item, so they sell you two and make it sound like you're getting the other one for free.

4. MommyDonna

MommyDonnaNew Member

Threads:
    I'm with the previous posters. When they tell you they are throwing in an extra for free, it makes you feel like its a great deal. In reality, you are paying for the product one way or another. Plus, the quality can't be that great if they are really willing to give you one completely free. I don't usually let my husband watch infomercials because he always thinks it's a great deal.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They always add a second item because they then charge you an inflated shipping and handling charge on the second item, so they basically sell you two items in one shot.

6. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    The trick is that they over price the original product to cover the price of the additional items. They are not giving you anything. They are just selling more products. While giving you the illusion that your getting a deal. They are trying to trigger impulse purchases, but anyone with half a brain should know that companies can't just give away products. That would be counter productive.

7. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with you Eagle, they offer you something for a certain price and you are considering it while seeing the add, you might be undecided or not and that wait there's more at the end might give you the deal impression, you think you are getting things for free and that might make you buy it.

8. firestarian

firestarianMember

Threads:
    They do this so that the buyer (you) think they are getting an excellent deal when in all actuality they had intended for this since the beginning. If someone is on the fence about a product already, and then the offer is "doubled" they will likely buy it without hesitation. It's an age old marketing ploy.