Washable cloth diapers vs. Disposable diapers

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by katharinemae • Jun 8, 2013.

1. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    I use washable cloth diapers because they are comfortable, breathable and natural to baby's skin. These are also quick to dry and easy to use. You might think that its pricey but your investment will definitely pay off in the long run. Some washable cloth diapers even come in singles and are economically priced.
    What kind of diapers are you using for your little ones?

2. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    I know they are better for the environment and I actually used cloth diapers when my first born was a baby. I did save quite a bit of money from using them. The drawback is the washing. You can't put off laundering them like other clothes. You have to do the washing at least once a day. Since I work from home I am still able to use cloth diapers for my daughter but I use disposable ones for the baby at night so she can sleep well and when we go out to malls and such.

3. Soliloquy

SoliloquyMember

Threads:
    Depending on your area, you might be able to sign up for a diaper service, to handle the laundering of cloth diapers. That would make an excellent gift for a new mom, too!

4. katharinemae

katharinemaeActive Member

Threads:
    Washing is definitely one of the drawbacks of cloth diapers, It takes up time and needs skill (in my case) i really had a hard time washing them before but eventually I got the hang of it. Got to do what i got to do when it comes to savings and the comfort of my baby.

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    They may be better for the environment but not very practical for the average mom who is always running errands.
    I feel like its just much easier to get a one time diaper and just throw it on and then throw it in the trash.
    I feel like many mom already have loads and loads of laundry they never get too that this would be yet another task added to their long to do list.

6. stevensmith

stevensmithBanned

Threads:
    good to catch up with the idea you have given to me in form of disposable diaper to use instead of the regular ones .. but i just want to raise a issue that what is the comfortable criteria of the same for longer usage ...is it favorable to soft skin without affecting it with itch or other skin relevant problems.. please suggest ..

7. Katewon1

Katewon1Member

Threads:
    I thought about using cloth diapers for my little ones but unfortunately I don't have a washer and dryer. Those are pretty necessary when using cloth diapers. Although you could maybe get away with not using a dryer, I know I'm certainly not hand-washing a bunch of diapers! And laudromats don't appreciate diapers. And there are no diaper services around where I live. O well!

8. danealegana

danealeganaActive Member

Threads:
    Good thing my niece is already potty trained and my brother wouldnt ask me to washed her cloth diapers anymore. :)

Anyways, when my niece isnt potty trained yet, she used cloth diapers when at home and disposable diapers when my brother and his wife or I take her out and carrying an extra one just in case. At least this way its not a bit messier than changing her outside with cloth diapers.

9. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Well my little ones are not so little anymore but when they were, I actually used a combination of both. The gift of a diaper service for a few months to a new mom is an awesome gift and I was fortunate to have received this gift more than once. I actually purchased my own cloth diapers after the service expired. The cloth diapers do need to be changed more frequently so the disposables were always better to use for overnight and for going on outings. I would use the cloth diapers as much as I could because they seem to be more gentle on the baby's bum (less diaper rash).

10. klassiter

klassiterActive Member

Threads:
    I am currently using disposable diapers for my baby. I thought about using cloth diapers but there are so many different kinds and I did not know where to start. Initially they seem expensive , but once making the investment I know they can be cheaper than disposable. Because I did not know anything about cloth diapers I did not want to invest the money without knowing if I would actually like them.

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wish I had used cloth diapers when my daughter was a baby. It would have definitely saved us money.
    But I was less frugal and savvy about money when I was younger so I didn't think of it.
    Today's cloth diapers seem better than ever because some of them have Velcro and waterproof covers, so they're constructed almost like a disposable diaper, so it's not like those squares of fabric that you pin on anymore.

12. RomanAnthonysMama

RomanAnthonysMamaMember

Threads:
    I use disposable, because I just don't think I could find the time to use cloth diapers between work, school, and taking care of a newborn. We also don't have our own washer machine or dryer, so it would be a huge hassle for us to do that. I'm sure people at the laundromat would not appreciate us washing our poopy diapers in their machines!

13. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought about using cloth but they are hard to find in my area

14. yellowbird

yellowbirdMember

Threads:
    We use disposable diapers in our home. While I was still pregnant, I really wanted to go green and do cloth diapers. Now that I have the baby, I feel bad but I just don't have the energy or time to be constantly washing diapers! We don't have a washer/dryer in our apartment and have to drive a ways to a laundromat...

15. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    It's really great when people say that they are going to go with washable cloth diapers, and that it's better for the enviroment and what not. But 90% of those persons never actually had a baby, or they would never say stuff like that.