Washing And Reusing Plastic Spoons, Forks And Knives?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by NinetyEighty1 • Dec 14, 2017.

1. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    I know it my sounds like a cheap method but have any of you considered or are currently washing any plastic utensils or plates just to try and save a little extra money. I know that they don't cost too much on the market but every little penny counts right?

2. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We do this all the time but depending on the kind of plastic fork, spoons, and plates. With the utensils from fast food outlets, they're not much of use for the second time. But those that we buy in the supermarket have good quality that they look new even after washing so it's all right to re-use even when we have house guests. You not only save money when you reuse those plastic utensils, you also help the environment by lessening the trash.

3. mildredtabitha

mildredtabithaActive Member

Threads:
    We have a few plastic utensils and we do wash all of them. Not for the reason of saving money but it is just a normal routine. The plastic utensils we use are of good quality and can just be washed and re-used. We use glass utensils frequently. The plastic have always been there for the reason of kids and to also minimize breakage. But now that we are grown, we rarely use the plastic ones. It is a personal preference.

4. Kimika

KimikaActive Member

Threads:
    I wash plastic utensils as long as they have good quality. Here in our place, plastic spoons and forks won't last long enough since they don't have good quality. But there are a few that I do keep. I rarely see good quality plastic utensils so when I get my hands on one, I keep them and reuse them.

5. littlewitch66

littlewitch66Active Member

Threads:
    I started to use these in my granddaughter's school sandwich box because I was so fed up with her leaving my metal spoons at school never to be seen again. I can only assume the school would just keep them not realising they were from a child's lunch box but it got to the point where I was down to 3 at one point, so I bought some plastic ones which were fine for eating yoghurt and it meant I didn't get stressed every time she didn't bring one home!

6. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Reusing plastic spoons, forks, glasses and so on is something that makes me think if it's healthy or not. Usually those materials have an indicator of how many times they can be reused, and if we reuse them more than that I think it becomes dangerous because the material gets degraded and we end up eating plastic.

7. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    Reusing plastic spoon and forks is a great way to save the environment. However, in our place, the quality of the plastic spoon and forks is bad. They easily break whenever it is being used. I can only see a little of rare ones that does not easily break, those kind of quality are hard to find on my place so I just stick to my metal spoon and forks.

8. kaka135

kaka135Active Member

Threads:
    We try not to use plastic utensils at home, but sometimes it is easier for the toddler to use them though we also have metal utensils, we do wash and reuse those plastic utensils that we have. Sometimes when we takeaway food and the low quality plastic spoons or forks are included, we do keep some of them for "in case" purpose. My kids like to wash and reuse them, though I don't really like to keep them.

9. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    Sometimes I do that reuse plastic spoons that comes with take away foods at the restaurants or occasions. I only use for a few days and throw as somehow I have the knowing it's not advisable health wise. There are plastic spoons that are made specially for eating, this comes more expensive. I think it's okay to use such for a longer period without fear of any problem.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    No, I just like to use them once and then throw them away-and besides the whole idea of using plastic utensils is so you do not have to wash them,and you could just throw them away. These plastic utensils are made to use just once though,and repeated washing may just degrade them as well. If I have to wash these plastic utensils, why not use the real ones?

11. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I don't see why not. I mean, let's say you ate at a fast food place a lot. Well, you could get a lot of stuff from them that otherwise would be thrown away. It's just a big shame to see these big plastic cups thrown in the garbage.

I suppose it depends on what you're eating. Hard foods could break them.

12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    We are using plastic eating utensils and we do wash them after using. They are easy to maintain and keep besides they are really indeed very cheap. They last usually for two or three years and we purchase another set of plastic utensils. However, for hard cooked foods, we do use China ware utensils but for soft foods, the plastic ones will do.