Washing Dishes

Discussion in Water started by to7update • Dec 9, 2016.

1. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    What do you consider to be more economic, washing dishes by hand or with a machine? I think it's not debatable that a washing machine is way more convenient, but I am under the impression it spends way more water and energy than if we do it by hand. Or am I mistaken here?

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would think it would be more economical to wash by hand, and that was how it was done in the old days, but machine
    washing can be econmical too. I think it just depends on how energy efficient your machine is. I think both can be good.

3. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On impulse, I'd say it is economical to wash dishes by hand. Obviously the machine needs more water just to be sure in rinsing off the soap while with the hand you can feel if the soap is gone. However it is laborious to wash dishes by hand.

4. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    If a person doesn't have a lot of dishes, then a good choice might be to wash dishes by hand. A dishwasher is quite expensive and the price wouldn't justify the situation. However, restaurants, and sometimes families, have no choice but to use a lot of dishes. In that case, a dishwasher might be an economical investment, even though most restaurants still hire dishwashing staff.

5. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that washing dishes by hand is much more economical. Machine washing will use up more water as it needs to use enough to rinse of the soap very well since the dishes are not being scrubbed. As for hand washing them gives you the option to keep the water off meanwhile the dishes are being scrubbed.

6. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    This is definitely one of the worst household chores to have to do, and probably the one that causes the most angst around my home. I would like to think that I have gotten better, but I am afraid I cannot say that with any confidence.

7. to7update

to7updateActive Member

Threads:
    Really @larryl332@larryl332? You don't imagine the amount of dishes I have to wash, we are four at my house and many times I feel I don't do anything else! :D There are chores I prefer less, like ironing or vacuuming, those are far worse. Regardless of the costs, I would definitely have a dish washer machine if I had the space to put it.

8. Belovedad

BelovedadActive Member

Threads:
    Well, more economical would be to wash them by hand obviously. Not having a lot of time on my hands however, I usually have to resort to the dish washer. I guess I need to start reproducing to save money ;)

9. Vinaya

VinayaActive Member

Threads:
    I have never used a dishwasher, in fact I even don't have a dishwasher in my home. I have always done my dishes by hand. In my opinion, using a dishwasher may be more convenient compared by washing dishes by hands, however, dishwasher consumes more electriciy and more dish washing liquid, which means washing by hand is more economical.

10. kokimboka

kokimbokaMember

Threads:
    I am saving money to buy myself a dishwasher. I don't enjoy washing dishes by hand.All the scrubbing is not doing any justice to my nails and hands.I know it will be more expensive,but I think it will be worth it.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    Washing dishes by hand is far more economical. We do the dishes right after every meal and it doesn't take too much time as there are only three people in my house. We usually soak utensils on a glass of water to remove sticky food item/residues. I don't think I'll need a dishwasher anytime soon.

12. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I am not sure I'd like the washing of dishes with machine over use of hand. The machine would need more water than washing with hands and energy maybe be consumed a lot. Again I trust hands to wash dishes more properly.

13. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    Washing by hand may save more water and energy but washing with a machine is more hygienic. Yup I remember a scientific experiment that shows hand washed plates still have food residue and it has more microorganisms present.

If you care about the safety of your family, you will invest some money for a dishwasher.

14. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Okay I have and use the 3rd approach to this matter. It is manual dishwashing but via the help of the maid.

She comes twice a day does not only dish washing but also laundry, house cleaning and other outer jobs and I pay her grossly per month. I think it is the best method.

Dish washing machine somehow doesn't appeal to me.

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We live in an apartment and we don't have any dish washing machine and water & sewage is included in the rent. Although it would be nice to have a dish washing machine I don't think we'd have one for we are a small family with little dishes.

16. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    It is very practical to wash dishes manually if you have a few plates, spoons, forks to clean. Than to use machine for it is indeed a waste of everything. You will be wasting water, soap, and extra wastage of electricity. But when there are so many dishes to wash, then I would say I go for the machine.

17. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think there is no doubt that washing plates with hands is more economical than machine. A dishwasher takes fairly good amount of electricity and water. Machine works on the basis of a pre-loaded program so it can't sense if the plates are really clean or not. It will repeat the process till the time it is programmed to do so. While doing it with our hands we can think proactively and reduce water and soap usage.

Moreover, doing small activities like this keep our body fit and fine. It also cuts down our hospital bills.

18. tonyb

tonybActive Member

Threads:
    I don't even see that as debatable issue washing dishes with hands or washing them with machine which is more economical. It's a lot more more convenient and cheaper for me to wash dishes with my bare hands. I get them thoroughly washed I wouldn't have to pay for electricity or have to repair any machine should there be a breakdown. I also may use the soap more economically

19. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    I have really come to appreciate the art of using as little of a dish as possible. It is helpful, and tough sometimes, but it also helps with portions too if you are really good at it.

20. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    What we do with our own hands will always be economical in most cases. But this depends on the amount of dishes. For personal and household dishes you can use your hands but a machine can come in handy when you have alot of dishes like in a restaurant. To keep yourself busy at home it's better to use your hands.