Watching 3D isn't all that great, isn't it overrated?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by dieselfit • Dec 13, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know if you agree with this but it seems like 3D technology is one of the most overrated things out there. I've tried it and it's great for that short period of time, then it just begins to hurt. I remember watching short movies in a theme park that was 3D and that was fun because it was only for like 10 minutes. But for those long movies, it is uncomfortable. I think once we're able to experience movies virtually as if we were in them, then it would start to be fun. But for now, 3D is overrated, don't you think?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it was all the hype that made people think 3D was so great. After all when people like Cameron came out in support of 3D, saying 3D was the future of Cinema and so on, it was easy for most movie buffs to believe that. After all isn't this a guy who knows what's what in the movie industry.

IMO, 3D isn't as great as they want as to believe but they are slightly better than regular movies.

3. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that it was definitely over hyped. Lets be honest, there is nothing particularly amazing about them. At the moment we have kinda reached a point of diminishing return with the film industry, where there is hardly anything that we can really do to change the way we perceive movies. There are a few nice tricks here and there but overall they are pretty much the same to me and so i do agree with you.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Yup. I think it has always gotten a bad rap, but it's just that people were curious enough to keep it alive for a certain time. After all, even 3D haters like myself went and saw a 3D movie once or twice, and I suspect many others like me also did. I'm just glad that it looks to be dying out now, and I really hope it can stay that way.

5. FloraFauna

FloraFaunaMember

Threads:
    My brother has one of those 3D TV's, which I tried to talk him out of buying but he did any way. We probably spent 20 minutes using the feature before we both decided we were kind of over it. Now, he rarely if ever uses it. As for 3D at the theater, it gives me a headache, so I pass.

6. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    That's really too bad. Those TV's that are 3D are suppose to be way more expensive than the regular ones. I mean that's fine and all but seeing how hyped it is, it's really just a waste of money. I think soon it'll be cheaper than regular flat TV's since it's going to go very unpopular soon. I want to see virtual movies where you're actually in the movie. I know that's way into the future but I do remember trying out some virtual video game way back 5 years ago at a theme park. It seemed pretty do-able and would be pretty awesome! I think it wouldn't be as harmful or painful as 3D technology!

7. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    It's not really as bad as people make it out to be, and I definitely wouldn't mind having an added 3D feature on my laptop or TV, but that's the thing: I wouldn't mind it as anadded feature selling a TV as a 3D TV and marking up its price is what got the whole 3D TV industry such a bad rap since people don't actually use the feature a lot. In fact seven times out of ten I will prefer the 2D version of a movie if available, and you can forget about 3D view when gaming since it's incredibly disconcerting.

8. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried 3D and it isn't BAD. It's as fun as having something different in our lives. But the thing is, the 3D can get really annoying and I am in the same boat as you where movies are good 7 times out of 10 with 2D rather than 3D. I love gaming and I can see virtual gaming becoming a thing of the future instead of the 3D where only a few objects are 3D and yeah I can see it becoming very disconcerting for 3D games! I much prefer regular video games with regular 2D or somehow have a virtual feature.

9. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree 3D is a little to much, I went to the movies to watch Resident Evil and it was ok in the beginning of the movie but once the movie started to go on it became impossible to watch. I found myself taking off the glasses because the view of the movie to be really disturbing and I couldn't enjoy it. So I do think that 3D is to much sometimes. I can imagine that the use of it for a kids movie to get the kids excited would be the only thing that would be good for.

10. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Who ever said that 3D is overrated? Who ever gave 3D a high rating? I just think that it's over promoted or over hyped. Still, it depends on the movie and not the technology itself. If the movie is good, then 3D is well worth the additional price. But if the movie does not take advantage of 3D technology, well, that's simply a waste of money. It is quite irritating to wear the 3D glasses since I have prescription glasses but I still can manage.

11. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it overrated, I just think that 3D is a gimmicky. I've seen 3D movies before and I don't get what's all the hype about. Watching 3D actually gives me a headache so I don't watch them anymore and the additional cost of the tickets doesn't help either.

12. writeletters

writelettersMember

Threads:
    I honestly don't think 3D movies make much of a difference. If anything, things come towards you and (I know that's the point, but) I hate it. There really isn't much of a difference and I don't enjoy it. It's really not orth it to pay more and see a 3D film.

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really is. The extra money you spend on the 3D feature in a television isn't worth it. Very few movies are better experienced in 3D. Many of them are much better to watch in 2D. You can probably easily find a DVD with 3D glasses for the ones that are meant for 3D anyway so I'd never buy a 3D television.

14. Dianna Thomas

Dianna ThomasNew Member

Threads:
    I have to agree with you on this subject. When we first got it-- and I might add is expensive -- I thought ok this will really be fun, adding something to the TV watching at times. Well, first we had to buy each pair of special 3-D glasses to be able to watch it. Then each pair of glasses have to be charged--( what a pain) some of us (in this house)though we know they have to be charged to use them-- forget to plug them in after watch something in 3-D..Lol I laugh at my family alot because of this. Then the headaches that seem to happen because of the 3-D... I personally wish we hadn't purchase the "special" TV

15. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    It was a novelty that wore off very quick for me. Moving to HD was something genuinely amazing that I still appreciate now, but 3D was something I only wanted to try once or twice. I prefer 2D, this goes for films as well, although films are more suited for 3D than TV shows are.

16. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I agree, sometimes it starts to hurt after a while and then you can't take much more of it. Some of the movies that they bring the 3D version out for, doesn't even need to have it in 3D; only maybe 10% of the entire film is worth watching in 3D while the rest seems fir for the normal viewing. The glasses hurt my head, I rarely watch a 3D film, unless I'm with a group and the majority rules.

17. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    It's a cool feature, but that's all. I wouldn't pay extra for a 3D TV though, it's definitely not worth the extra cost.

18. delusional

delusionalActive Member

Threads:
    I really don't like 3D movies. Even when I'm going to the movies, I don't like seeing everything in 3D. It only works when you sit right in front of the screen, you have to wear glasses but what if you already wear glasses, it's expensive if you want it at home, ...

When I'm buying a TV, 3D is the thing I value the least.

19. DomDom

DomDomNew Member

Threads:
    I must also say it is completely overrated. Actually feel very nauseaous after watching it. The effects are really nothing special, just a regular movie. I believe it was made just because the movie industry lacks new ideas and something had to be made to make more money :)

20. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Completely agree with you! I never go to the movies and watch 3D movies anymore, unless the movie I really want to watch is only showing at 3D rooms. First of all, those glasses sometimes give me a headache, and the 3D is never good! You would imagine 3D to transport you inside the story and make you feel like the things happening in the move are around you. To me, the only time ever I had that experience was at Universal Studios. That was awesome! But regular 3D movies do nothing for me.