Watching Movies A Second Time

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by DrRipley • Dec 2, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I recently just watched Xmen Days Of Future Past at home again after having watched it in theaters when it first came out months ago, and at my first viewing I have to admit that I didn't find it all that entertaining, possibly because there was just too much exposition and not enough of the heroes in their costumes showing off their powers. However, after having seen it this second time around, already knowing what to expect and already knowing the story a bit more, I found that I was more able to just sit back and enjoy the movie for what it is and I actually found myself enjoying it.

I think having the benefit of already knowing what to expect, I wasn't focused so much on the exposition anymore trying to understand everything so I was able to see the story as a whole and the small details that actually made it work. Now I have changed my mind of it as well as my rating of it. Once I thought it was just average or even below average and now I see it as slightly above average. I'm glad I watched it a second time and I wonder what other movies I would have enjoyed had I given them another shot.

What movies did you like a lot better after watching it a second time over?

2. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Uhm, none really. When I watch a movie that I have already seen in the past, the thrill is no longer there. I already know what will happen next. Maybe if there's a movie that I have not fully understood the first time, then maybe I'll enjoy it more the second time I watch it.

3. Nate5

Nate5Member

Threads:
    There are a few movies that have rewatch value, as you start to see things you've never noticed before. Personally, I love rewatching the Harry Potter series, and I find it quite notsalgic to see my favourite characters on screen again. There are also movies that are entertaining with friends, no matter how many times you watch them. Examples include Inception, Zombieland, and The Room (the latter is in the so bad it's good category). There are also ones where I will never watch again, such as Requiem for a Dream.

4. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that a lot of people, who watch movies and TV shows for a second, will always catch things about characters, lines, and the story lines that they din't quite catch or make sense to time the first time. There have been times when I have even been on my fifth watch lol and still discover new things about what it is that I am watching. Quite an amazing experience.

5. TPhoenix

TPhoenixActive Member

Threads:
    I would have to say that upon viewing the movie Donnie Darko, I was left a bit confused and after viewing it a second time, I really appreciated the movie even move for it's stunning ambiguity to where you could conclude the events in your own perspective. When a film is able to achieve such a rare feat, I find that to be heavily commendable. Donnie Darko now ranks as one of my favorite movies to watch.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unless a movie is really bad, I'll watch more than once. I've made it a tradition. However there are some movies which when I watched them the first time I felt they weren't that great but the more I watched them realized that they really weren't that bad. Some of them are:

A Million Ways To Die In The West.
    The Prince Of Persia: Sands of Time.
    The Mummy Returns.
    Horton Hears a Who.
    Tinkerbell.
    Thor: The Dark World.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I enjoy watching movies more than once, I like to be able to see what I may have missed, some characteristics that may have been there or a sub plot. I can't understand people who don't enjoy watching a movie again, because you can never have got everything first time around. If I don't want to see a film again, I probably struggled to watch it the first time around and didn't enjoy it anyhow.

Watching familiar movies is also relaxing as you know what will happen and childhood ones give you a sense of comfort too. That's how I see it. I watch my favorite movies to cheer me up when I am down.

8. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely watch movies a second time over, because I usually understand most of the movie the first time around. The main reason I re-watch movies is to view the minute details, allusions, and metaphors I was not aware of at the time and wanted to research once more.

I've watched Lord of the Rings series a few times, and have learned something new about it every time. The Matrix series were great to re-watch, because it has a lot of allusions to the difference between Law and Legal e.g. "Agent" Smith or the "Architect." I've watched 2001 Space Odyssey a few times, because the end boggled my mind the first time I watched it. I watched Inception a few times, not because I didn't get the movie, simply because it was very entertaining to re-watch. I had to watch Stephen King's "IT" movie a few times once I became older, because it used to scare the crap out of me when I was younger.

9. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I may watch some movies a second time on cable if there's nothing else to watch, but other than that I wouldn't go out of my way to watch a movie a second time at a cinema. I think a good movie still offers entertainment value even if you roughly know what's going to happen next. Also it's a great way to hang out with friends who might not have watched the movie yet.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    I actually think that people are a lot more likely to watch TV shows/series over and over again, rather than watching movies over and over again, even though there are DVD's made of both mediums. Even though I have been known to watch many a movie many more times than once - like the movie Ghost and Dirty Dancing - I have watched my DVD collections of TV show series many more times. I think that I have watched Queer As Folk US in excess of twenty times - all five seasons, yes. I don't think that I could watch mystery tv shows over and over though, because I would already know what was going to happen.

11. teabwoi

teabwoiActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think that there is any movie that I really took the time to sit down and watch for a second time. Most of the time when I watch movies I watch them once and never again. Although I tend to watch movies again if I have not watched for a long time. If the movie came out three years ago and I really liked it then I would go and watch that movie again.

12. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I don't know offhand if there were any that I liked better from watching more than once- I think there are definitely instances where I caught things or their relevance that I missed the first time around, or had a deeper appreciation for details I didn't notice the first time around, but I'm not sure if rewatching a movie has ever really changed my opinion on it very strongly.

13. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I could never get into the Harry Potter series after the first episode but when the finale came out I did enjoy it and watched it again.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    Speaking of the Harry Potter series, I must have watched their very first movie at least twenty times. When I was in my early teen years, and my cousin would come around to my house after school, we would always watch it. It was our favorite film at the time, and those Harry Potter movies are pretty lengthy too, and so there is quite a bit of things to pick up on the second viewing. The only Harry Potter movie that I haven't seen is the very last one, because it is sad that it is over lol.

15. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    There are quite a lot of movies that I enjoy watching again and again, mostly because I am quite jobless most of the time. I believe that some movies are must watch for a second time as you cannot understand it when you watch it the first time. This was the case for me in inception. I also enjoy watching movies like proposal and heat as it is quite fun.

16. Atlas_Hope

Atlas_HopeNew Member

Threads:
    I usually will wait a year minimum to rewatch a movie, as I tend to remember them fairly well and like to space them out. I think some of the best film's to rewatch are one's that have surprise or unforeseen endings that totally change your perception of everything you just watched like Shutter Island for example. The other situation in which I might watch a movie a second time in a shorter period would be with friends, it can be pretty fun knowing when something is going to scare them badly and you're just waiting for it to happen.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me, all movies deserve to be watched the 2nd time around, since you already know the story and the ending the 2nd time you watched it, so you will definitely notice the little hints that give away the villain that you didn't notice before when you watched it the 1st time. However, some movies are hard to understand when you watch it the 1st time, so you need to watch it for a 2nd time, like Inception.

18. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't watch movies for the second time unless I already deemed them enjoyable and worth my time during the first viewing. It would not make sense to me to re-watch a movie that doesn't suit my fancy. I do wish I can adopt your mindset of giving movies a second chance but I'm a sucker for quality story lines, so I always stick to my comfort zone.

19. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    I liked Chicago better on my second watch. It was after I watched the extra stuff on the DVD.
    I also liked Ever After better the second time.

Usually I like to watch many times. Some movies never get old. But sometimes, I like to just watch the trailers of my favorite movies. It's like a condensed version of everything I loved!

20. rikka

rikkaMember

Threads:
    The movie that I watched the second time was "Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends." The main reason for watching it was because my friend and I were arguing over a phrase that Kenshin said ("with me" vs "for me") at the last scene of the movie. However, I did not mind because I enjoyed the movie a lot, I love One Ok Rock's "Heartache," and because Takeru Satoh was so cool as Himura Kenshin. In fact, I would not mind watching the movie for the third time, if given another opportunity to do so.