Water Conservation Practices

Discussion in Water started by Rossy • Jul 29, 2017.

1. Rossy

RossyMember

Threads:
    These are some of the practices that could reduce water usage especially in areas with water shortages:
    1.use a bowl to wash your fruits instead of letting it run in the sink
    2.Reduce the water pressure, less water is wasted.
    3.Do not brush your teeth with running water, use a glass instead.
    4.Shorten your showers to use less water or rather take a bath.
    5.Harvest rain water to increase water sources.
    6.Water your garden early in the morning or late in the evening to delay evaporation.

2. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I have read lots of water conservation best practices and yours are so common. Water is the basic need of every individual and once it is being wasted and it would no longer available that would create a big problem not only for a family but the whole community as well. In school, the students are taught how to conserve water and they should practice it at home. In the fast advancement of modern technology nowadays, the possibility of the scarcity of water would be realized.

3. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I always turn the water off while I am brushing my teeth since it is such a big waste of water. Another way to save water in the shower is to turn the water off while you are shampooing your hair or washing your body and then turn it back on just to rinse off. You can also save water by setting your washing machine to the correct load size so you aren't using excess water to wash a small load.

4. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    There are numerous little way that can certainly add up, and while brushing and being smart with showering are all good ones. I think my next step might be trying something wih rain water for the plants, but with my luck the weather would never allow it to work.

5. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    The first rinse water of your clothes, You know the one after soaping, can be a good fertilizer for non edible plants. The chemicals are a bit neutered after rinsing it and it have chemicals that can be good for your non edible plants.

6. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    What I can think of right now is the frugal use of water while bathing and washing the dishes. Close the tap when not in use. In the bathroom, some people take a shower continuously to cool themselves. It is more efficient and economical to take a quick shower and cool your body with the electric fan if you have no air conditioner.

7. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Slowly I am beginning to train myself to turn off the tap while I am brushing my teeth. I know that it wastes water and I try not to. The thing is though is that sometimes I forget and leave it running. I am getting better at it though, the more I tell myself and remind myself the less I am leaving the tap running. Eventually, I hope to change the habit but that doesn't happen overnight!

8. NicholasMukuha

NicholasMukuhaActive Member

Threads:
    I fail to understand why were work so hard to conserve water while I was taught in school that 75% of the universe is actually made up of this vital component. Shouldn't there be enough for each and everyone of us and even surplus for our descendants?

However, that is just a thought. The reality is totally a different scenario. There's no doubt that we should put in place every conceivable way to ensure we conserve this "liquid gold". Here are some of the ways that I think should be put in place.

First of all we should plant a lot of trees and ban deforestation in the water catchment areas. This will ensure that there is enough water in the sources to keep the rivers flowing all year round. Human encroachment should also be discouraged around natural water sources.

It is also good manners, to ensure we reuse some of the water we use at home. For example after washing clothes, the rinsing water can be used to wash the house.

I totally agree that rain water should be harvested in order to supplement tap water. However, rain water should be treated with a little bit of caution, as the pH scale shows it's a bit acidic.

Besides not washing fruits, hands or utensils with running water, I believe we would conserve a lot of gallons if faulty taps and pipes were repaired as soon as possible. As minute as those drops may seem, they lead to huge losses if they aren't stopped as soon as possible.

These together with those that you have given above would be more meaningful if awareness campaigns were carried out to encourage people the benefits of conserving water. Thank you.

9. luckycharm

luckycharmActive Member

Threads:
    I think all over the world restoring ground water is a hot topic nowadays. In our area also various rain harvesting techniques are being used widely as water is becoming scarce nowadays. We dig medium sized pits on the land to trap rain water and let it penetrate into earth. Another popular method is rooftop rain water harvesting. Through this method we can collect rain water that fall on rooftop and then it is filtered and stored. It is also used for recharging water wells enabling it to combat any drought like situations.

In our area Government authorities will not give permission for new building / house if there is no rain water harvesting system in the plan. We also need to ensure that a fully operational rain water system is built along with the construction.

10. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Adhering to those practices which are suggested above could really result in a considerable amount of savings as in relation to water usage. It's amazing how people just waste without any concern about what is taking place. I am concerned when I see someone having the water running continuously while they are brushing their teeth and sometimes it's for a considerable amount of time or they may be idle in shower with the water running for ages and I wonder if they are not aware that they could help to diminish the water usage cost by being more responsible.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    rainwater harvesing is a good technique to fpor water convertsation, the rain water which other wise will be wasted. I don't have rainwater harvesting system installed in my house, however, when there is a heavy rainfall, I collect water that is dropping from the terraces and use that water for washing clothes.
    When I wash my clothes, I don't throw away water, I water my plants.

12. jakub

jakubMember

Threads:
    There are a lot of ways to conserve water and the ones you listed in your post are very clear and easy to follow.

13. harijobs

harijobsActive Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the information. I will use it here afterwards for my plants. I usually take bath rather than shower even though I like to take a shower because I want to save water. There are so many people out in the world who are not able to get water even for drinking. So, I don't take showers. Then we have rain water harvesting system which we use rain water effectively. Good points @Rossy@Rossy. Thanks for sharing.