Ways To Save On Baby Food

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by prose • Oct 15, 2015.

1. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    While pregnant for my little one, I peeked down the baby food aisle at the prices. Yikes! Super expensive in my opinion, for tiny jars and containers. Of course, there are always coupons for baby items such as baby food available. However, I set out to find even better deals!

What I have found is that making my own baby food has cost me almost nothing extra! I started out by making my own purees, by cooking vegetables or fruits (which I buy anyways) and then blending and freezing them in ice cube trays myself. Not only is it saving me money, but also baby is not getting all of those preservatives found in store-bought brands.

Now that my little one is able to attempt to feed himself, we have him try out foods that we are eating at mealtime, too! Such as mashed potato, cooked peas, small slices of banana, avocado, or sweet potato, or bits of toast. This makes mealtime more enjoyable and much more relaxing. Of course, always ask your pediatrician before starting solid foods!

What ways have you found to save on baby food costs? What are your baby's favorite foods to eat?

2. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I did the exact same things. I was focused on saving money but also on what I was feeding my little ones. I didn't want them eating processed foods that had preserves in them so I bought all organic fruits and vegetables and cooked them down and pureed them. I really enjoyed making them. I froze them in ice cube trays or slightly larger plastic containers with lids. When my youngest was ready for a more meal like combo I would poach chicken breasts, and add brown rice, peas, carrots and blend until it was chunky. Then freeze. It was so much cheaper than buying the "meals" made by Heinz and better for him. Instead of buying teething biscuits, put a bagel in the freezer and give that to your teething toddler.

3. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Back when my baby was still a few months old, I used to make his baby food from scratch. I actually did not let him eat any remade baby food, even though my MIL sneaked one in that one time (such an evil, sneaky lady, lol). Anyway, his first pureed food was mashed potato which he loved. Then we moved on to other foods like squash, carrots, bananas, apples and a lot more. He has his preferences so we stuck to what he loved and added bits of what he doesn't he like.

Now that he's older, he gets to eat what we eat. And we usually cook home foods. He eats like a boss though sometimes tend to not have an appetite. But most of the time, he loves soups and vegetables. Fruits are his major weakness especially papayas and grapes.

4. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    You can make your own food at home or you can shop for coupons. I have become a little bit obsessed with couponing lately and I actually just got baby food today for cheap because I printed off coupons for shopping. Use DontPayFull.com if you can print. They are free and there's quite a few baby items on there. They even have coupons for formula which is very helpful.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is the best way to go about it because I don't think there's much more the premade jars have other than the convenience of not having to make it yourself, and in my opinion they aren't too hard to make especially considering that you'll get to save a lot just for the small amount of time you'd have to spend making the food. Plus doing this for the few years it's necessary just means you get to skip a lot of the expenses you'd have to make for everyday of those few years which definitely adds up to a lot.

6. bigsumm22

bigsumm22New Member

Threads:
    Making your own baby food is definitely the way to go, I wish I would have done it with my first baby but I wasn't well informed. However, with my 2nd child, my son, he enjoyed all the baby food I made him. It amazed me to see how much money I was saving! I believe he is a better eater than my daughter because of this reason, he ate real food and not those jars with all the preservatives. He too, like you mentioned, started eating real table food at an early age, it has made meal time so much easier and more enjoyable!