Ways to work out for free?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Squeesh • Jul 8, 2012.

1. Squeesh

SqueeshNew Member

Threads:
    I need some new suggestions on free workouts. I have been hiking but I'm getting bored with it. What do you do for exercise that's free?

2. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    Bicycle, if you've got one ;) I for one love it. Oh, maybe I don't like being exhausted but cycling just a little bit is fine.
    What about jogging?
    Joga?
    Nordic Walking?
    I've never tried the last two, but I think if you're curious it's worth a try.

3. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I like walking and I also do pilates and yoga. All three of them are 100% free and I don't need to go to a gym or any type of equipment to do them. If you enjoy hiking but are getting bored with it, you could also try hiking in new areas to make it more interesting.

4. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    What's pilates? It's the first time I've heard of it. Could you say something more about it? What does it do? What do you do?

5. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Pilates, as far as I know, is a little bit like Yoga...I had two friends who preferred Pilates to Yoga...but I stuck with yoga. Class are not free, where I am...in fact, it is quite pricey. It is very focused on stretches and strengthening the body and is named after its founder, Mr Pilates. That is about all I know...I am sure others can help you out better.

As for free workouts...if you are close to a beach, my personal favorite is to go for a run on the beach...the sand provides a natural kind of resistance that builds one's fitness quite quickly. It does leave one really tired initially....but feeling really good.

6. tulosai

tulosaiActive Member

Threads:
    I second the suggestion about biking. Depending where you live swimming can also be free and fun. Yoga is good to try, and so is jogging if you're up for it. Good luck!

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I like to find a high rise building and I'll purposely take the stairs. That's the best workout because after a while you'll have to take the elevator back down because it's so tiring. You should try it it's free and it gives you a good workout you can feel the burn.

8. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I set up a circuit training course in my living room or yard. It may include steps, weights (or heavy items if you don't have any hand weights), and then anything else you can do in place. Then I take a stop watch/clock/phone/computer and time myself, spending 1 to 3 minutes at each station. Like lift weights for a few minutes, jog in place for a few minutes, go up and down the steps/step for a few minutes, and do other cardio exercises for a few minutes. Then you just repeat it all. Doesn't cost a thing! You can come up with all kinds of ideas for stations, too.

9. siriusboi

siriusboiMember

Threads:
    Jogging would be the best free workout out there. There are also work out at home videos on the internet that you could take advantage of. These videos are completely free in youtube so you don't have any problems accessing it if you want.

10. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Are you near a public library? Many of them have workout DVDs that can be checked out. My library has a nice selection. If I like a certain DVD then I buy it for cheap on Amazon or eBay.

11. Alaska7

Alaska7Member

Threads:
    Also, if you have a local GoodWill, they'll frequently have weight sets for extremely cheap prices. Like complete sets for less than ten dollars. Not completely free, but pretty close, and you'll get great workouts for a long time for a very low initial price. If you are totally set on not spending a dime, just focus on jogging and plyometrics (push ups, sit ups, wall handstand push ups).

12. missnc35

missnc35Member

Threads:
    All the major gyms have bring a guest for free so if you have a friend with a membership, ask if you can tag along. They also have 1 week trial gym membership so you can probably get at least a month's worth of free gym time just doing the trial membership. Also, if you know anyone that lives in an apartment complex, most likely they have a gym. You can probably ask your friend to take you or ask him or her for the code/key.

13. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I have never paid to work out. I do everything I can to stay away from paying for workouts. I run or jog, swim at the beach, walk - online workouts have helped me a lot. With small purchases like a stability ball, bar bells and resistance bands I can get what I need to stay toned and it costs less than a membership.

14. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    I suggest that you try skipping. It is a very intense exercise that can deliver excellent results in just few minutes per day. If you can't do skipping for some reason then cycling and jogging are excellent alternatives that can keep you in shape at no cost.

15. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Use 500ml water bottles as weights, and look up some exercises using weights on the Internet. Cycling is good exercise, but if you don't have a bike, you can do the same thing indoors. Lie on your back, raise your legs and lift your bottom off the floor. Support yourself by placing your hands on your waist with your elbows on the floor, and cycle away.

Swimming is also good exercise, and you can swim in the sea or the river for free. As someone else has mentioned, jogging on the sand is excellent for cardio, and some beaches have exercise equipment that people can use for free. If you live near the coast, check out the facilities in your local area. Some public parks also have exercise equipment. If you don't mind other people seeing you working out, it's a good way to get a free workout session.

16. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    Definitely walking and jogging. It's one of the healthiest, simplest and cheapest ways to exercise. But it depends what part of your body you're trying to work on or just your body in general.

17. MoniqueSeibel

MoniqueSeibelActive Member

Threads:
    Create your own circuit workout using your own body weight. For example, do something like 10 pushups, 10 squats, 50 jumping jacks, etc. Repeat the circuit 3 to 4 times. Simple, yet effective.

18. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    Jumping rope, pushups, jumping jacks, walking, jogging. We also have an elliptical and I also use dumbbells. In my city we also have a recreation center that has a small workout room.

19. slamoutte

slamoutteNew Member

Threads:
    I started doing a 30 second circuit routine that I love. Here's what it entails,

30 seconds for each exercise and then you go into the next without stopping - jumping jacks, knee raises, jumping squats, pushups, blurpies

Once you finish with these 30second exercise you rest for 2 minutes and repeat 2 more times. If the jumping squats are to hard at first you should do regular squats. You want to be able to get through the whole rountine so take it easy and increase the intensity of the workout as you start getting stronger.

I started seeing results in two weeks of doing this.

20. sdjaxson

sdjaxsonActive Member

Threads:
    I saw a movie once where a lady lost her home on Life Time. It was inspiring. She was in great shape ( she came from the suburbs ). Long story short to keep fit while she was homeless she went in big buildings and would climb the stairs listening to her ipod.LOL I loved it! I am considering doing that and its free!