What About Rain Water Storage?

Discussion in Water started by Ray1 • Apr 26, 2017.

1. Keibah

KeibahActive Member

Threads:
    We do not have the standard rain water system but we have big barrels and drums where we store rainwater whenever there's a heavy downpour. This really helps a lot during the wet season because we get to save electricity bill and fuel for the generator which we use to power the borehole.

sometimes there's power outage for a couple of days and we can't pump water so the only option we have is the rainwater that we stored.

2. Shine_Spirit

Shine_SpiritActive Member

Threads:
    Depending on the type of storage that will be made (because it has to be something well done), I think rainwater is always a good option. It's always good to be able to save some money.

3. lucykey

lucykeyMember

Threads:
    I have a rain water collection system in my house which help me collect rain water when it rains. This way of collecting and storing water cheaper to install and enables me to store enough water that lasts for a while when the other sources fail me.

4. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have another question for you. Is water you collect for your personal use or the unused water goes to ground or for other uses. I know there are certain places where they collect rain water but if unused it goes to drains or to the gutter in the end. In my case the unused rain water goes to big rainwater tank which works both ways.

5. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    I have a rudimentar water storage system, but I have gotten satisfactory economy. The system canalize water which fall in the roof for a pipe to storage in a bucket. I have used this water storage in my toilet bowl. Check it in this following picture.

Attached Files:

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Our toilet and garden taps are connected with rainwater tank so the system is automatic. Our rainwater tank's capacity is 1 kiloliter which is enough for the purpose and as it rains here enough to keep the tank full. In case the tank is full and it's still raining the water goes to council's tank or in case we are short of water we get our rainwater tank refilled from council's tank.

7. Vinicius Souza

Vinicius SouzaMember

Threads:
    Congratulations! Your system is very interesting. I am very impressive with tank capacity. Consequently, You must economize much money.

8. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    Rain Water storage is a great way to lower your consumption of water as well as gives a new perspective on the whole process.

9. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    Growing up in the province makes you love showering in the rain. Yet, we store rainwater for laundry purposes. We have this large bucket and barrel to put it into an improvised rainwater system. The water stored will be used for washing or shower. But nonetheless, I still want to enjoy the rain itself.

10. walter12

walter12Active Member

Threads:
    I have never showered in the rain but i think the experience will be something different but i easily get a cold so it's a no for me.

11. luri

luriActive Member

Threads:
    I also do not have installed a proper rain water harvest system. However, I collect rainwater. I use this rainwater for watering my garden and cleaning the house and doing the laundry. I also collect rainwater in big drums. Since some time, I am thinking to install a proper mechanism to collect rainwater, however, I am dillydallying in lack of budget.

12. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    So do I. I easily caught a cough and colds, but the feeling and experience enjoying the heavy rainfall are just so memorable and worthwhile.

13. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think it's alright if you do not like to take a rainwater shower but if you save that water for your future generation they will be so grateful to you lol. Now the time has come that we save as much water since the experts believe that the next world war will be fought over the water and nothing else. There is so much on stake in different countries some of which are facing acute water shortage while the others are reeling under floods.

14. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    I do like to shower rainwater, maybe you quoted different post.

Anyways, what you said was right. There has been a major outage of water in many parts of the world. It wouldn't hurt to save some even with rainwater. It can still be of use. I heard before, rainwater has been used for drinking. Raw rainwater, not filtered since there are no types of equipment before that will filter rainwater. They also just boil the rainwater to sterilize it.

15. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Sorry, yes probably I did a mistake here. In fact rainwater is being used for different use in different countries as most countries with acute drinking water shortage have found ways of water treatment to the extent that it becomes good for drinking and in some other countries rainwater harvesting is serving the purpose of agricultural use and being supplied to houses for toilet and gardening use.

16. mdbree17

mdbree17Member

Threads:
    But I also wonder about those countries which do not get much rain and the worst is they have a scarcity of water, too. I wonder how they are able to manage it. I just hope they have a raining system as well, in case of heavy rain so that they can use it for everyday needs.

17. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    In countries where it does not rain much the rain water storage is more necessary. They must save every drop of rain to utilize it for the purpose of drinking and harvesting since the wastage of water will be even more painful. In fact the world has already reached to a stage where all should cooperate each other for this purpose for the existence of this planet.