What are the best toys for kids under the age of 5yrs old?

Discussion in Toys, Kids & Baby Stuff started by Mikered25 • Sep 14, 2012.

1. Mikered25

Mikered25Member

Threads:
    Hello everyone, I would like to know what are some toys that are good for 5yr olds? I have a 5 yr old nephew and I am looking to buy him something for his birthday next tuesday, but I am stumped with ideas on what to purchase. His mother (my sister), suggested going to Toys R Us to find something, but I don't want to buy anything that could be potential harmful to him. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what I can do?

2. jessamom

jessamomNew Member

Threads:
    Last Christmas I bought my boys (3 and 4 yo) the Paper Jamz guitars on Amazon.com. They absolutely adore these guitars! It's basically a lightweight guitar without any strings or frets, so no strings to replace! The guitar comes with three songs (ours had stuff like Heaven Let Your Light Shine Down, Check Yes Juliet, and other rock/grunge music my husband and I approve of the lyrics and enjoy listening to over and over and over again. The guitar is really neat because it has a sensor where you strum so you have to keep strumming to hear the music play. It also has an option to play on your own and you can strum and hit the frets to get different notes. The age ratings for these guitars are a lot higher than my kids ages, but they didn't have an issue at all with playing with them. I think it's a great toy that can grow along with the child. There are additional items you can purchase like an amp, too.

3. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Boomerang probably. Its the age where a kid is just too curious and might try everything but when I was 5, I play toy cars and water guns. There were no iPad no ipad yet. It might just be great to make him pay along with other kids such as lego bricks. This will make him have a social life. :D

4. Albertharris

AlbertharrisNew Member

Threads:
    There are lots of toys available in the market but according to me, the LeapFrog LeapPad2 toy is the best one for your nephew. It is an educational toy which helps in study. If you want to get more information about it, than you can go with fatbraintoys site which provides a free instruction about it with price.

5. Kam735

Kam735Member

Threads:
    I think soft toys is good for kids because such type of toys not be harmful for kids.

6. himalipatel

himalipatelMember

Threads:
    Now a days lot of varieties of toys like truck,plane,electric car,helicopter,boat and many more available in the market. you can buy any of them for 5 years old kids. Remote control toys are also available in the market.

7. randee555

randee555Active Member

Threads:
    I say any early learning toys are a good choice. At that age, it's good to go ahead and get an early start on the basics. Plus, the child will be learning and having fun at the same time!!

8. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Well said. I agree with Randee. Learning toys are the way to go for kids as young as under 5 because then they can learn, play and have fun all at the same time. It's not pointless in getting something that doesn't teach them anything because even then they might learn something about the object that they are playing with like a toy car or something. I would make sure they learn a lot with the toys that I would get!

9. broknkyboard

broknkyboardMember

Threads:
    I recommend Legos, you can find a set that's related to a show or movie he likes and build it with him if the set is small or if you have enough time for it. If you can't find a specific set you think he'd like you can always pick out one with an incredibly large amount of random pieces, those are even more fun for 5-year-old-s most of the time.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I'm one of those jerks that gives the kid educational toys. BUT I'm less of a jerk than others because I try to find the fun stuff out there. Rainbow in my room is a super cool options. I like things that are similar to see & spell or audio type maps. There's also Inchimals. Super cool.

11. 29525500

29525500Member

Threads:
    Durrable and cheap is what I would be looking for in that age group as they will be growing out of them fast. As a child I found anything I could make other things out of to be the most entertaining. This could be a shovel, Lego, cardboard boxes, or even just plain old wooden blocks.

12. GottDeals

GottDealsNew Member

Threads:
    I want to chime right on along with "etc" here. I want to go a step further than him here and say that modern toys stifle the creativity process too much. Give that boys some popsicle sticks, small toy cars, maybe a bucket of small green army men (or something else just as simple).

The 'less' that toys actually do, the more children need to create, imagine, and problem solve. Let's get those left and right hemispheres going and stop training them to do what most of "modern" cultures are already doing, looking for entertainment. Please help him to create his own entertainment.