What Are Your Thoughts On Living Off Of Ramen Noodles?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Soulwatcher • Dec 19, 2017.

1. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    Every once in awhile when I go to the grocery store I see families with shopping carts filled with ramen noodles from top to bottom and nothing else in the cart. I know that this can not be healthy for anyone because they are so high in salt. And I think it's a crying shame that anyone living in the USA has to be so poor that they have to live off of ramen noodles! What are your thoughts on living off of ramen noodles?

P.S. a case of ramen noodles is $2.19 here in the USA and they come in a pack of 12.

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, if that's all you can afford, it's all you can afford, so it can't be helped. Most likely people add to it, like frying scrambled eggs with green , frozen dumplings usually made with pork, shrimp or vegetables and other additions like raw veggies such as mustard cabbage or other stem cabbage, so it will make a meal. Noodles is good, like pasta is to people ramen is to others. I get buckwheat noodles cups that goes on sale for just 1.79 that has vegetables in the mix and I add my other things like natto, green onions and sometimes dumplings. It's like oriental chicken noodle soup in a way.

3. moneymania

moneymaniaActive Member

Threads:
    I think it's either they just love ramen noodles so much that they need to stock up on it, or they barely have money to buy regular food. I think it's honestly none of my business to mind what one is eating, so I would just assume a bit but I won't dwell on it. Thanks!

4. Beast_Titan

Beast_TitanActive Member

Threads:
    You can add some vegetables and an egg so it will have nutrition aside from sodium. Prisoners have are sick of eating it the traditional way so they have creative ways to make them taste different. it is a good survival skill you can use for emergency or if you just want to save money but have difference in flavor.

5. Alexandoy

AlexandoyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a Japanese friend who told me that he is surviving on ramen alone because that is the cheapest food in Japan. He works as a delivery guy for a fast food outlet and his salary is not that much so in order to have a savings, he relies on ramen for his daily food. However, he now is showing signs of kidney problem. From what I had read, eating ramen and noodles too frequently can cause kidney problems maybe due to the salt that it contains.

6. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I would agree that it's a bad food generally because it's processed. However, though, there is the non-processed type. Anyway, resorting to only ramen sounds like suicide, but at least in South Korea, the homemade type is served with boiled eggs.

Ramen in a pack, as was stated, isn't the best type.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtistActive Member

Threads:
    You should watch eating Ramen Noodles to much,but also I think these packs have two servings in them-if you eat the entire package,you are probably getting double the amount of salt that you think you are getting. They do make some low sodium ones(ramen noodles) or you could not use the sodium packets at all-just add some low sodium chicken broth to the Ramen Noodles (they say the Trader Joe's organic low sodium broth is pretty tasty) !

#7Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  8. dionnextherese

dionnexthereseActive Member

Threads:
    There are some people who can't eat "real food". Although I don't want to judge them because I don't personally know their story behind those ramen noodles, ramen noodles is not really healthy. If I were that person who can't afford, I would force myself to buy real food because I would rather pay real food rather than the hospital bills because of the unhealthiness of those ramen noodles.

9. NinetyEighty1

NinetyEighty1Active Member

Threads:
    If you add in cheap but good meat and vegetables it can really become and money saving and enjoyable meal. I love ramen noodles and think they are a temporary alternative to more pricey meals. I would try to look up cheap recipes online and on youtube to make your meal more filling.

10. Soulwatcher

SoulwatcherMember

Threads:
    I knew they were not good for you, but WOW kidney problems! I think ita sad that the top 10% control all the wealth in the world and in the meantime you have millions of people go hungry every night. While the 10% have their personal chief cook them anything their heart desires. I honestly don't know how they can sleep at night.

11. overcast

overcastActive Member

Threads:
    Ramen noodle can be bad for the health. You can eat them during the bad days of your life. But after some time it can be really hard to see how the noodle based lifestyle can affect health and mindset. It also gains weight. And may turn out to be bad for kidney stone, lever and also for blood pressure. It's also bad for the blood sugar too. So it's worth thinking in that direction.

12. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well I probably came pretty close during some of my college years, although even then it got old really fast. It sure is cheap though, but you probably would also need to take some vitamins and all that.