What Can You Live On Without Other Stuff?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by EditorsRHumansToo! • Jul 14, 2015.

1. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo!Member

Threads:
    Decide on why you like to save a little more and spend less. I think that's the important key most large families learn a lot: After years of accumulation and struggles with debt-- finally, you have arrived at being debt-free... almost there. But it's so liberating!

Does it help to probe questions like, "Can I live without it?" A front-loader washing machine with 5-star water-saving rating should replace a nearly breaking top-loader washing machine which uses up 200 liters of water every load for a 9-member family's laundry. We saved up for a replacement. I am happier with the new one ever since.

Things like those energy-and-water-saving appliances are our priority. Nourishing food and good education are our priority. Than a latest Samsung phone or iPhone. The probing question, "Is my 1-yr old phone broken?" " Do I need a new one?"

The truth makes us cringe. But truth saves. And we're a lot happier.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It certainly does help!

The reason why most people spend more money than they should is because they care too much about "appearance." What would their neighbors think of them if they didn't have A, B or C? Who knows maybe those neighbors you want to impress are swimming in debt. Why join them?

Buy only what you need, sell whatever you don't need and invest that money or let it sit in you savings account and earn some interest.

3. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    These cravings for ephemeral items were defined by Maslow as "first degree needs" and if you don't fulfill them, you won't get rid of them. I usually just buy a thing, convince myself that I don't need it at all, then my cravings start disappearing for other stuff, too. Try this sometime, I'm sure it will help you as much as it did to me.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So true, if you really want to save money, don't buy it if you don't need it. I, on the other hand, like to spend money and buy anything that I like when I can afford it, so I mostly save to buy something or to let the money sit in my wallet so that I can buy whatever I like in the future.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is one of the most important tools in saving, but I guess most people just try not to bother with it since thinking too much before buying tends to spoil the shopping experience for some. For the more thrifty shopper, though, this is a question that is hard to turn off, since every decision has to be practical. I myself am this way and I have to admit it can get tiring sometimes, but at the end of the day I am glad I have money in my pocket.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the number one thing that saves us money is stepping away from media. I mean a huge leap away from it. Ginormous. Get rid of it completely. Because it may sound all tin foil hat, but it is certainly how we're all brainwashed into wanting more more more and thinking like a true consumer in almost all we do. I didn't realize it until I got rid of our service. Now we barely need to spend money at all unless we're looking for a reason to do so. Living simply.. like a human being, not a consumer.. is the biggest money saving tip I have.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've learned you can live on very little and the basics. We are all lured into thinking we need more, but I have realized you don't need it, but it's nice to have.

It does depend on how you live and what is important to you, but I have lived without a television, cellphone, chocolate (that was hard) a washing machine and other mod cons. You can cope, when you don't have it and you learn to be less reliant on things.

8. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Same here, @Theo! It's really all about living within your means. -and for me, in recent months, I've had to do away with impromptu shopping sprees, I've had to scale right back on eating out and we got rid of our cable subscription. Surprisingly, we've not died, we're still here, surviving just ok :) Of course, it'd be nice to have all that, but it's even sweeter knowing that we currently have no debts :)

9. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    There are lots of things that people buy that they just don't need, and by trying to figure out what you DO need, you should find that you're able to streamline your life in general and save a lot of money whilst doing so. I have tried to change my life over the past few years to make sure that I am saving more, and I think that I have done this successfully.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm pretty good with saving in the sense that I don't like to buy a bunch of things. It's hard when I don't have a job because nothing in this world is free but I believe if I ever do get one I won't have as much problem. I'm terrible at finding deals though and trying to get more money. When I had sold my Playstation 2 I did not save money because I spent too much on shipping. I am also bad at competition so if I do end up selling my junk, I could sell it for only a few dollars or whatever when I could have sold it for more. I wish I was really competitive because I'd be a successful person by now. Instead I'm almost anti-competition.

11. Jamille

JamilleActive Member

Threads:
    @EditorsRHumansToo!@EditorsRHumansToo! I agree that it's very important to be very clear about your reasons or goals for saving. Saving money often entails sacrifice and you have to convince yourself that your goal is worth it. It will be very hard to stop yourself from lusting after a gadget if you feel that owning that gadget will give you far more satisfaction than your goal.

The reason why I'm working so hard and making the most of my day each day is to have a comfortable retirement at an early age, to provide for my child, and to secure our future. I find that these goals are enough motivation for me to live frugally and say no to the latest gadgets in the market. I only lust for gadgets that can help me save money in the long run. I don't scrimp on food when it means good nutrition and health for my family. I work hard for every penny so I hate to waste money on things that have little or no lasting value.

#11May 17, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2017
  12. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    In the point of saving money or doing things without them spells the right usage of the term, discipline. If you couldn't control yourself on buying those things just to go with the trend, you are at a great loss. Another attitude which seems to be uncontrollable is of being impulsive buyer.

You have already in mind on what to buy in the mall or in the supermart, but you happen to see items offered for sale with a discounted rate. Or you come across with a well-polished bracelet in the glass counter. You coouldn't let time pass for you want to buy it. There you are that's the very reason why saving or buying in its proper context isn't being followed.

Discipline has all "eyes" to everyone, but it is hard to impose upon themselves.

13. Trixen

TrixenMember

Threads:
    My phone is 3 years old and it still works fine. It's a Samsung, too. I don't buy much, anymore, compared to my younger years. I've grown wiser now, financially.