What do you buy at dollar stores?

Discussion in Product Reviews started by tjshort05 • Aug 16, 2012.

1. EllieTamal

EllieTamalNew Member

Threads:
    Coloring books and craft materials for children. I do not buy anything that comes to contact my body directly (cosmetics, foods etc.)

2. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy food, some over the counter medicines, cosmetics, bubble bath, and what ever strikes my fancy when I am in the store, I sometimes even buy sun tan lotion or flip flops or socks. I would say it really depends on what strikes my eye, and what I am looking for. Lately it has been rainbow colored plates, cups and bowls. I might get myself a whole set, a piece or two at a time.

3. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah, are you talking about the dishes that look similar to Fiesta Ware at Dollar Tree? Those are cute.

I buy lots of stuff at dollar stores. I think some people just put a stigma on it, especially judging by some of these posts. For those who say they'd never buy food from a dollar store, some of the food is the same brand name stuff you pay three times as much for at Walmart. It pays to check it out, before randomly deciding it's no good. ;)

4. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am! I think they are awesome for the price, and they are dishwasher safe as well. I would feel comfortable using those to serve and have people think I paid like 60 bucks for the plates instead of 6...I just love Dollar Tree, if I had one next door to me, I would be over there every day.

5. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    Well I am not the biggest shopper of the dollar stores, but when it comes to cheap things for work they are always my first destination. I work with children so we do a lot of arts and crafts projects and these places a wonderful for finding cheap materials. Especially since I know that these things will break and get dirty - because of the kids - it is nice to know ahead of time that I am getting a good deal.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I buy a lot of things at these sorts of stores. On my last trip to one of these stores I bought a couple of small storage boxes for my wardrobe, a pack of pens, some notebooks, some hooks to hang on the back of doors and some black acrylic paint to cover some boxes I have at home. Sometimes I also pick up fish food there if they happen to have it, although that isn't often.

7. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go to many of the 'dollar' stores where the prices aren't .99c or $1.00. I pretty much stick to Dollar Tree, because I really like to be able to count the items in my shopping cart and know that's the number of dollars I'll be spending. Occasionally, if I'm on the other side of town near a .99c store, I'll shop there for the same reason.

I often buy cards and medicine at the dollar store. Greeting cards have gotten really outrageous at most stores, although some regular shops do have value cards sections, and I'll shop in those, as well. I am able to pick up some medication that helps with my less severe migraines and allergies at the Dollar Tree, and that really helps my budget.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I do not buy food or cosmetics from the dollar store, and have a hard time ever finding anything in the home decor aisles that I like or is worth the money. I buy a lot of office supplies from the dollar store as well as stocking stuffers and basket fillers during the holiday. Some things are a real bargain and other things are just trash. You really have to be picky when you shop at the dollar store.

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the hooks that go over doors as well. They are perfect for hanging up bath robes. It makes sense to get them for a buck at the dollar store, instead of paying more.

I buy quite a few things at Dollar Tree. Like Diane said, I prefer real dollar stores (where stuff is actually $1.00).

Dollar Tree is great for party supplies and holiday decorations. I often pick up little surprises for my grandkids as well, like packs of stickers and other fun things.

I have been buying some tools lately. I grabbed a small hand saw, a level, a tape measure, and most recently a 12 in 1 screwdriver set. It's kind of nice to have my very own tools, and I can't beat the price.

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I remember the several years I spent 'not getting past my third year of university' :p---livin` in roach motels, etc.; and FAMILY DOLLAR was where I did most of my grocery-shopping ... since I didn't want to walk the 5-extra-blocks to go to the "standard" grocery-store (BUY FOR LE$$).

I'd mostly buy canned-vegetables & Ramen noodles ... sometimes dried-fruit, frozen pizza from their tiny freezer-section ('tiny' as in "the end of one aisle's shelf").

Maybe I regard money a lot like Christian's regard God's Abundant Grace :)D 'GAG' :D), in that you can't really "waste" it (have you ever heard anyone talking about how God wastes Grace? I haven't) even though you have to be very stingy with any of it that you manage to get hold of ...

11. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I like going to all of the dollar stores and I usually find some things that I end up buying. Most of the time though I usually buy cleaning products. Just recently at Dollar General I came across a $1 section and it had the Clorox cleaner in the spray bottle for $1. I had seen it advertised on TV and knew it would cost more elsewhere. You save to walk around in the dollar stores.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't spend much time in dollar stores, because a lot of the time, you are paying a dollar - or over here in the UK, a pound - for low quality products that are not worth an entire pound. Or the products are just plain low quality, which can be annoying when you buy something only to have it fall apart when you get home. I do like to buy in bulk from dollar stores though, once I have tried a product more than once and have established that it is a worthwhile product.

13. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I love going to the dollar store. I have bought seasonal decorations that are really cute. I also like to buy their plastic spoons and other party supplies. They have a huge selection and variety of colors to choose from. They are decent quality too. I have bought some storage containers from there as well and they have a large selection and an array of sizes and colors. Some things I do not buy there like paper towels and other paper goods. I like to buy them in bulk to save more money. I do like to buy stationary and other office supplies there as well.

14. JaeRustia

JaeRustiaNew Member

Threads:
    I often purchase cleaning supplies and detergent soaps, Mugs if I found a cute one, scented candles, kitchen items, some cookie brands that I haven't seen in a long time, sun block on dollar store are a lot more cheaper than in supermarkets.

I basically buy whatever caught my attention, he he he

15. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Unfortunately there are no dollar stores here on Oahu. They closed down for some reason and are gone now. I wish they'd come back for I enjoyed shopping there for paper goods, trash bags, magnifying glass, stationary, staplers mostly and sometimes you could find food stuff so cheap like snacks at the dollar stores. I bought my ironing board that was under $10 from a dollar store that's closed up now! :eek:

16. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You definitely have to pick and choose, and you also have to know what stuff is supposed to cost. You might see shampoo for a buck, but the same bottle is like 79 cents at Walmart or something. Still, I manage to find enough good stuff and good deals to keep me coming back.

Not all dollar stores are equal either. I've been to several different ones, and Dollar Tree is the one I like best.

Another thing I like to buy there is the Mylar helium balloons. You can make a whole bouquet of them at Dollar Tree for what you would pay for a single balloon elsewhere.

17. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Very true. People just see dollar store and automatically assume that they are going to get more for their money because everything is one price, but that is not the case at all, and one only has to think about it logically to figure that out, especially when items that are at the dollar store are mere cents elsewhere.

18. Tina122321

Tina122321Member

Threads:
    At the dollar store I like to buy plastic spray bottles because I make my own cleaners using essential oils. For my kids birthdays I go there to get silly string and balloons. I take my kids to the dollar store every December and they buy presents for everyone in the family from them. They love being able to pick out gifts themselves and I like that it doesn't cost a bunch of money.

19. Deeishere

DeeishereActive Member

Threads:

I love to buy items like baskets, containers, bins etc. It helps me to organize without having to pay a lot of money. I will also buy tape, glasses, cards and some kitchen items like towels. They are a good price and I feel that it’s a waste of money buying these items are the big stores.

20. djdontpay

djdontpayActive Member

Threads:
    Stuff like tupperware type containers. Other than that I once bought stand for my mobile, but it wasn't of much use. But, for like stuff like containers, the dollar store is pretty good.