What Is It About "not Sold In Stores" Infomercials That Makes You Buy Things?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by ImariFutari • Apr 4, 2015.

?

Do You Buy Off of "Not Sold in Stores" Informercials?

1. YES!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. ...No. Never.

83.3%
  3. On Ocassion. Sometimes, there are cool things there.

16.7%
  1. ImariFutari

ImariFutariMember

Threads:
    Honestly, I never fall for these commercials. From children's molding toys to "therapeutic" pillows, and so-on and so-forth.

Most of the time, these things are worthless pieces of junk that I could definitely live without. For example, why in the world would I want to cut my hot-dog into the shape of an octopus? Why? Not only that, but what about that hair-chalk commercial? Surely, if I wanted to dye my hair temporarily, I would go to the store and buy colored hairspray / temporary hair dye; rather than waiting a week for something I'll probably only use once.

And of course, there are those knife commercials that come on late at night or early in the morning. You know that slogan!

"THREE Easy Payments of 36.95!"

Honestly... Why not just say "One payment of 110.85"? They think so many of these tricks will get us, but honestly, I feel as though they take us for idiots.

Do you buy from infomercials?? How do they get you?? Why? Have you ever bought something useful from one? Why not just go to the store for a similar, or better item? Let me know about your experiences!

One a larger note, do you think that American greed increases the sales of these products? If yes, why and how? If no, why do you think so?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I bought one thing from an infomercial in my entire life. I didn't regret it. It was a Nu-Wave. I loved the thing. It 'not being available in store' never really influenced me. I can't say greed really played a part in it either. I was in a situation where I could afford it & I saw the infomercial many times before that. So, I just did it.

3. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As far as American infomercials, I have no idea what makes people want to buy the products that are featured in them? I see them, an they always seem so affected and almost smarmy in nature? I have watched some American TV, and just regular commercials come across that way too to me, though.

4. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. I'm not a tv watcher in the first place. I think that might be the secret. Maybe you can only recognize smarmy when you haven't seen it enough to be desensitized. They don't have any similar types of commercials in the UK (Are you in the UK?)? No UK smarm? lol

5. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I find those infomercials on TV very interesting. They seem to look like it's very useful and affordable. I was almost tempted to buy a set of knives, was about to call but changed my mind at the very last minute. I realized that I still have knives in the kitchen and I really don't need to buy a new one. I'd rather spend my money on some things more important than knives.

6. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never ever been enticed to buy anything off the back of a TV infomercial. I find them over the top and cheesy. I don't know why, but I always feel like their usefulness is over exaggerated LOL

7. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen those commercials before, and once in a while I saw something that look quite useful and interesting. I thought to myself I need that, I want that, but something about giving out my information over the phone that just stopping me cold on my track. I am glad I've not bought one in my life yet!

8. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am the kind of person who is generally really turned off by any hard sell tactics. "Not sold in stores," falls into that category for me. I will admit to having seen some things that might be cool, but I am not enticed by the pressure to purchase. Besides, much of this stuff will end up in stores at some point, or there will be a knock off. Several items I've seen have later appeared in dollar stores. Glad I kept my $19.95 plus shipping and handling. lol

9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1Active Member

Threads:
    Not only do I not buy off of infomercials, I don't even watch them. I have been tempted in the past to get those at home laser hair removal systems or muscle stimulators, but have never given in to the temptation. I think those things are a waste of money most of the time and watching the infomercials themselves are a waste of time.

10. DreekLass

Threads:
    No UK smarm lmao!! I'm sorry to say it, mostly because I don't want to offend anyone from the US, buy US commercials are super smarmy. The acting is SO insincere, and sometimes over the top and just... smarmy!! The commercials over in the UK may be over-acted, some of the time, but it mostly comes across as chirpy. Not smarmy and untrustworthy, and completely and utterly insincere. You make a fabulous point though - I think it takes an eye that has not bee desensitized to it. But if I can analyze UK adverts, which I grew up on, then surely US citizens can analyze the energy that their own commercial give off too?

11. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've bought three things that I saw on infomercials. But I bought them at various places, not directly from the infomercials. Because "not sold in stores" is BS.
    Everything ends up in stores eventually. Anyway, I bought the Ninja blender online, got a Magic Bullet secondhand and bought a Showtime rotisserie on eBay.
    I still have all these items and think they are the only infomercial items that are actually well made and work.

12. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    But if I can analyze UK adverts, which I grew up on, then surely US citizens can analyze the energy that their own commercial give off too?[/QUOTE]

One would certainly think so. Actually, most Americans do make fun of commercials and infomercials so that I really don't know how they can be successful. I suppose, though, that if it's irritating enough to stick in your mind then it probably works to some degree. Plus, there are SO MANY Americans that it probably doesn't take a large percentage of American buyers to make some things a success.

Then, too, there is always the possibility that the larger part of the American population is now braindead, which would account for the numerous bad choices at the polls.

13. DreekLass

Threads:
    One would certainly think so. Actually, most Americans do make fun of commercials and infomercials so that I really don't know how they can be successful. I suppose, though, that if it's irritating enough to stick in your mind then it probably works to some degree. Plus, there are SO MANY Americans that it probably doesn't take a large percentage of American buyers to make some things a success.

Then, too, there is always the possibility that the larger part of the American population is now braindead, which would account for the numerous bad choices at the polls.[/QUOTE]

You make some very very good points. If the product is a useful one, and the pitch for the informational is catchy or sticks with you, then I could see how they could serve their purpose and persuade people to seek such products.

14. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I think that American disposable income is what can make a product sold on TV a success. People have money to spend, so they spend it. Good for them. I wish I had more money to spend!!

Depending on what the item is, I might buy it. The fact that it's not sold in stores is not a big deal to me. That doesn't make something more appealing to me, that just lets me know if I want this particular item that I probably won't be able to run out and grab it from the nearest store.

Some TV products look ok, some look a bit shady. One has to make up their own mind whether they feel safe enough to buy something from the company that is doing the selling. If it is a company that has been selling on TV for years, like "Guthy-Renker", I'll trust them a bit more than I might some others.
    One never knows though. I feel best going into a store and buying my things there.

15. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't understand the hook that makes people pull out the credit cards to purchase what they see on tv. We often will be able to find the items somewhere even though the tv says we will not be able to find the item at a store. I do not purchase from informercials.

16. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I don't fall for these either, although I think their way of advertising is very clever. Of course $36.95 looks a lot better than seeing $110.85 on the screen. I think it all has to do with how they are marketing it. I simply do not buy the products because I think the quality of the items are usually poor anyways. I have purchased a few before but they just don't see to last.

17. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like whenever you see advertisements that are advertising the fact that a certain product is not sold in stores, it makes you feel like you have this awesome sense of exclusiveness that makes you feel important. It just makes you feel cooler, I suppose.

18. Natalie89

Natalie89Member

Threads:
    Here in the UK we do get the infomercials but there are channels dedicated to them and they tend to be the U.S. ones that run over and over, just with a UK price tag.

I've bought only once from an infomercial and that was when pro-active facial cleansing products were only available by mail order. Luckily for me about 6 weeks after my first order Boots started stocking in store so I haven't had to order from a shopping channel again.

Did anyone who has ordered find that you were sent leaflets for similar products for a time after you'd bought. I'm not stranger to people passing details around for marketing purposes, but I found it strange to receive my product then get a leaflet for different face wash three days later!

19. katherine25

katherine25Member

Threads:
    I have seen so many infomercials that say "not available in stores" and then when I go to the mall and walk through the As Seen on TV store I always see the product there! I think they think the people watching are idiots and will fall for anything. I have never fallen for the "buy now for three easy payments of $39.99!" but there are so many people who do! I'm not saying the products they sell are no good, they probably are but don't believe them when they say you cant buy it in stores because chances are you can.

20. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    I have indeed purchased a few things online such as the Nutri bullet and proactive. I do regret purchasing the proactive products because it never worked with my skin, but the Nutri bullet is definitely something that I use on a daily basis. I haven't bought anything else from infomercials ever since because there is nothing else worth my money. They have the strangest products now.